Nursing to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-of-all-trades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted into a highly competitive nursing program and i accepted it. My plan is to go through the program and then afterwards take medical school pre- reqs while working as a nurse and then applying to medical school. Is this a good plan? Should I go through the program even though I know that my ultimate goal is that i would like to end up going to medical school? My reasoning for going through the program is that I would like to have the nursing degree as a fallback in case i do not get into med school and also I will be able to have a good job while taking pre reqs. I am just wondering if medical schools will look down on this.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend it personally-- there are less arduous and more relevant premedical paths than nursing. Taking prerequisites while working as a nurse, much less learning how to be a new nurse, is very demanding.

Having said that, I have a friend who is doing this and seems to be excelling in both classes and as a new nurse currently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it's a fine idea, but the med school prereqs are a full time job themselves. I've been a tutor at our university for pre-nursing majors so I know what the pre-nursing courseload is like compared to pre-med (my track). Personally, I think working as a nurse while taking med school prereqs would be too much, but I don't know exactly what classes you need or how you are as a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get a 4-year degree other than nursing, put your energy into getting into medical school, and then can't get in but still want to work in the health field, you can use your BA/BS to do an accelerated BSN degree. I would say that's the better option because you only need to spend additional money and time if you are rejected from med school, whereas doing a post-bacc means you need to spend additional time and money even if you are ultimately rejected from med school. It also allows you to focus on getting into med school rather than balancing it with work as a nurse.

I wouldn't recommend it as a current nursing student and pre med who's probably going to end up with 2 gap years b/c pre-med classes are extremely demanding as is a nursing schedule + scheduling the MCAT in that time could easily add 3-4 years after receiving your BSN. As far as I've heard you're MCAT tends to take precedence, but nursing experience is very very different than a nursing degree (which you'd have the experience) so it won't reflect badly on you in that sense. (but the whole I needed a fall back/using nursing as a jumping board doesn't go over too well with many allied professions, but there are definitely other reasons you could justify it)

It's probably smarter and more efficient to choose another major and if your pre med classes aren't working out, or you don't get any acceptances to look into accelerated BSN programs or transfer into one. All that aside, but medical school admissions isn't always a one-size-fits-all narrative. If you feel this is the best path for you, don't second guess yourself and just run with it. One piece of advice I do have for you is to be on the down low with this idea, nursing professors really despise nursing pre-meds. Good luck though!

I'm in a similar situation. I am entering my last year of nursing school and plan to pursue medicine after. I have spoken to some pre-professional advisors and here is what I have gathered:
- being a nursing major is an advantage in the clinical sense - not necessarily in the educational sense
- you must complete pre-requisites before entering medical school which can add a few more years onto your education before even applying to medical schools
- in interviews you WILL get the question "why did you switch career paths?" so be prepared
- although nursing is a GREAT path and it definitely prepares your base knowledge for medical school... the two curriculums are vastly different so do not go into medical school thinking you know everything from nursing
- experience is becoming more favorable than research experience when applying to medical schools in recent years
- it, most likely, will set you aside from other applicants because of your different major.
- finally, for nurses > doctor, the DO route seems to be the most favorable option because of the holistic philosophy.

I'm sure you will gain lots of knowledge going through school in whatever path you choose, if you do decide to go nursing and have any questions for me feel free to ask!
best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Whoa! Highly competitive nursing program !!

Reactions: 5 users
Its the path I'm taking, but if I knew ahead of time I wanted to be an MD, I would've went straight for it. Nice to make good money until you get into med school though

Whoa! Highly competitive nursing program !!
Idk if that was supposed to be sarcastic? Many nursing programs are considered is competitive in their respective regions due to the nursing shortage across the country.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, as someone who didn't realize that I wanted to pursue med school until I my senior year, if I could do it all over again I would have switched to pre-med earlier had I known what I know now. If you still have 5 semesters (idk how long your program is) I would switch to pre-med now. It is unlikely you'll be able to complete any med school pre-reqs while in nursing school due to conflicts with clinicals. Even if you are able to complete the pre-reqs, having a BSN wont really be any benifet at all when applying to med schools unless you have a couple years of actual floor experience as a nurse. With that being said I've learned a lot and made some connections as a nurse but in the long run it would have been much easier to have been pre-med from the start.

Current RN who is on the waitlist for one school and currently preparing to reapply.... The coursework is non-comparable to anything required for nursing and it is very difficult to explain why you don't just become a Nurse Practitioner. Yes the money is nice, but the stress and responsibility of the job are very conflicting with the STRESS and DEMAND of pre-med curriculum. I wouldn't say I don't recommend it because I know this is truly what I want, but if you have doubts about your ability to succeed in medicine you will always have a fallback. I think its a very personal decision to make because no one knows what you're capable of except you.

Nursekat, I plan on explaining that when I got into the medical field, I thought that nursing would be more science and knowledge intensive than it is, but am disappointed. I am very much interested in science and the low knowledge ceiling for NP concerns me. I love dealing with patients, but become more passionate about medicine when I understand "why".

Do you feel that would be a good explanation to an adcom?

Also I'm disappointed in the lack of "challenge" of nursing. School was extremely easy to get into, extremely easy to excel in, and the learning curve is pretty sharp. It isn't very knowledge deep at all. Even when you know things, you can't even use them really. For instance we learned all about arterial gases and pH in nursing school, and there is never a time I can really use it on my unit. The deeper knowledge that I DO know, is for the most part useless to me.

Nursekat, I plan on explaining that when I got into the medical field, I thought that nursing would be more science and knowledge intensive than it is, but am disappointed. I am very much interested in science and the low knowledge ceiling for NP concerns me. I love dealing with patients, but become more passionate about medicine when I understand "why".

Also I'm disappointed in the lack of "challenge" of nursing. School was extremely easy to get into, extremely easy to excel in, and the learning curve is pretty sharp. It isn't very knowledge deep at all. Even when you know things, you can't even use them really. For instance we learned all about arterial gases and pH in nursing school, and there is never a time I can really use it on my unit. The deeper knowledge that I DO know, is for the most part useless to me.
Good for you yes because you already explained you didn't set out into nursing as a stepping stone. Not good for OP though who already knows they want to be a physician before starting nursing. Don't do nursing as a fall back/stepping stone.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I regret doing nursing first but I don't. I would be able to go into med at an earlier age, but I also feel much more comfortable in the hospital now, make six figures which allows me to save money for when I'm in school (and I can pull PRN shifts while doing prereqs), and have really been able to hone my bedside manner. I just wish I would've saved ALL of my GI bill for medschool instead of using some of it on nursing.

As someone who dipped their toes in the profession and is now going to medical school, if you don't positively bleed nursing then you're going to have a horrible time in nursing school.

Wow, I forgot about this thread that I started last year to be honest. It's surprising to see it back again.

Just an update on what I decided to do. I decided to go through the nursing program and I am in my last year now. It is a 2 year program. I plan to transfer to a university after graduating and receive a bachelor's degree in a different area while taking med school pre reqs. I should be able to complete the degree in a little over 2 years and apply to medical school at the normal age most applicants are as I started college early.

I don't regret going through the program. Even though I am not a huge fan of nursing and I am still sure I want to be a doctor I think that my experience in nursing school has matured me and taught me how to be a better student. The material that I learn in nursing I know will not carry over into my medical education but the surprising amount of material that I need to learn has taught me very good study habits and better test-taking skills. I feel like I will be a much better applicant to medical school than what I would have been if I had not gone through nursing school.

Personally I feel like nursing school has been a good experience for me and I do not regret doing it

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who dipped their toes in the profession and is now going to medical school, if you don't positively bleed nursing then you're going to have a horrible time in nursing school.
I didn't mind nursing school. It was super easy, and mostly "nurses are important too" BS. But it was a good introduction to medical for me.

I regret doing nursing first but I don't. I would be able to go into med at an earlier age, but I also feel much more comfortable in the hospital now, make six figures which allows me to save money for when I'm in school (and I can pull PRN shifts while doing prereqs), and have really been able to hone my bedside manner. I just wish I would've saved ALL of my GI bill for medschool instead of using some of it on nursing.

You make 6 figures as a RN?

You make 6 figures as a RN?

Same thing I was thinking......the average salary for a nurse is way less than this. Many nurses I know start out only making around 40K at large hospitals. I've heard of RN's making up to around 80K but never 6 figures.

Reactions: 2 users
Same thing I was thinking......the average salary for a nurse is way less than this. Many nurses I know start out only making around 40K at large hospitals. I've heard of RN's making up to around 80K but never 6 figures.
I've known travel nurses who make 6 figures, but yeah, I believe most don't make that much.

Just some general pieces of advise, please please please leave out the bolded statements. I know how you mean for these to be perceived as, but they come off as belittling and just outright bashing the nursing career. It’s ok to say that you were yearning for so much more, and gained a lot of insight while practicing as a nurse. But stay away from anything negative, I learned the hard way. When all thing’s said and done, your interviewers are going to want teamwork-oriented leaders (who respect all the fields of their teammates i.e nurses, tech, scribes, janitors, receptionists, etc).

Edit: The blue fonts are meant to stress the “unexpected” careers that need to be respected. Your interaction with them are sometimes reported during residency and medical school interviews.

Yes. Base pay is 26 per hour, 5 an hour nights, 5 weekends. Any day I pick up is "Emergency Pay" which adds 10 an hour, double EP is granted pretty often aswell, which adds 20, and I got one triple EP a few weeks ago which is unheard of. And you get time and a half aswell.

Just some general pieces of advise, please please please leave out the bolded statements. I know how you mean for these to be perceived as, but they come off as belittling and just outright bashing the nursing career. It’s ok to say that you were yearning for so much more, and gained a lot of insight while practicing as a nurse. But stay away from anything negative, I learned the hard way. When all thing’s said and done, your interviewers are going to want teamwork-oriented leaders (who respect all the fields of their teammates i.e nurses, tech, scribes, janitors, receptionists, etc).

Edit: The blue fonts are meant to stress the “unexpected” careers that need to be respected. Your interaction with them are sometimes reported during residency and medical school interviews.
I respect nurses of course, since I am one, but the education itself is very lacking. I have literally learned not a single thing in my RN to BSN. It's all propaganda. Nurses are great though, many are greater than I could ever be.

I respect nurses of course, since I am one, but the education itself is very lacking. I have literally learned not a single thing in my RN to BSN. It's all propaganda. Nurses are great though, many are greater than I could ever be.
:dead: *sighs* I tried

No I get what you're saying, and I appreciate it. I just wanted to put that out there. But most male nurses I know say "yeah I wanted to go to med school but you know. Debt." Or "I'm too old". Resonating my feelings. I'm more of a logical thinker, not big on emotions. I just always thought nursing would be much more science deep.

You have to understand. One of my classes right now in BSN is how to write a resume.. you know, like you learn in high school English. Not medical related at all, WTF? Also, we learn chapters on how to advance nursing as a field and fight for our right to independent practice etc. From the beginning, nursing is more propaganda than scientific knowledge. I could care less about the field, I want to learn scientific knowledge and how to care for my patients better.

A friend’s daughter started at $70k per yr as a new BSN RN at a veterans hospital

Last edited:
A friend’s daughter started at $70k per yr as a ne RN at a veterans hospital
If I work just the 3-12 hour shifts I'm scheduled I think I make around 58,000 a year, but I'm only 30. In the Army I worked 80 hours and up per week so it's easy for me to work at least 60 hours per week. I think I picked up 105k my first year out of RN school with a two year diploma.

No I get what you're saying, and I appreciate it. I just wanted to put that out there. But most male nurses I know say "yeah I wanted to go to med school but you know. Debt." Or "I'm too old". Resonating my feelings. I'm more of a logical thinker, not big on emotions. I just always thought nursing would be much more science deep.

You have to understand. One of my classes right now in BSN is how to write a resume.. you know, like you learn in high school English. Not medical related at all, WTF? Also, we learn chapters on how to advance nursing as a field and fight for our right to independent practice etc. From the beginning, nursing is more propaganda than scientific knowledge. I could care less about the field, I want to learn scientific knowledge and how to care for my patients better.
Yeah I understand completely! I was admitted into nursing school and ultimately left because of that (partially). But on the interview trail, just be careful. It’s so easy to offend interviewers! I literally got immediate waitlists and rejections because of that +pity+

Yeah I understand completely! I was admitted into nursing school and ultimately left because of that (partially). But on the interview trail, just be careful. It’s so easy to offend interviewers! I literally got immediate waitlists and rejections because of that +pity+
Thank you for that advice. I feel like I'm pretty good at making it to fit what I need. "Nursing was great because it allowed me to get a taste of the medical setting as well as develop my empathy and compassion for patient care. I decided that I was passionate about the scientific aspect however, and decided that the medical field would be a better fit for me." Etc

Thank you for that advice. I feel like I'm pretty good at making it to fit what I need. "Nursing was great because it allowed me to get a taste of the medical setting as well as develop my empathy and compassion for patient care. I decided that I was passionate about the scientific aspect however, and decided that the medical field would be a better fit for me." Etc
Love it!!!

Yes. Base pay is 26 per hour, 5 an hour nights, 5 weekends. Any day I pick up is "Emergency Pay" which adds 10 an hour, double EP is granted pretty often aswell, which adds 20, and I got one triple EP a few weeks ago which is unheard of. And you get time and a half aswell.

Kudos to you. During my gap year, I found my 12 hour scribe shifts tiring, I can only imagine your ER grind...at least until residency.

Oh I'm an ICU/stepdown nurse. Only worked in the ER during nursing clinicals.