Nursing to Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I switch my major?

• yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Buckeye7521

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member and was hoping to get some of your opinion's on my situation. I am currently a sophomore at a four year university majoring in Nursing and have a 4.0 GPA, but am having second thoughts about becoming a nurse. I originally went into nursing with the hopes of becoming a CRNA, but now am thinking I would like to become a physician. The only reason I am hesitant to switch my major is because I am afraid I won't do well in the undergrad courses, like O-chem, physics, etc. Is it possible to receive an A in these courses if I put enough time in? Also, do you think Med schools would look down upon me because I was originally a nursing major? Finally, if I was to switch my major I think it would be best I transferred schools, is this also looked down upon?

My parents really do not want me to switch my major because they are afraid I will not get into medical school, and then will be left with out a job and lots of student loans.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not interested in becoming a nurse then it may make sense to switch away from nursing. However, 4/5 college graduates have a job that is unrelated to their major. Your major does not determine where you work or what you do although certain majors lend themselves to certain jobs more easily (example is engineering and nursing). Plenty of students get A's in o-chem, physics, and bio so yes it is possible. Getting an A in every class is not necessary to get into medical school as plenty of students earned B's and some even earned a rare C. Transferring schools does not really matter one way or another.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest you spend some time shadowing or volunteering and use this as a way to decide which career seems like a better fit for you. As long as you have a good answer to the question "Why medicine?" and you've taken the time to explore the field, medical schools won't hold it against you that were a nursing major first. You could even start with 1 or 2 prereqs just to see how they go. It's definitely possible to do well in these classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the suggestions! I have taken some pre reqs like Human Physiology, Bio, and a nursing specific chemistry, and received an A in all these courses. I'm just afraid I'll do bad in the more difficult courses. I do volunteer in the emergency room at my local hospital, and am in the process of beoming an ER tech during the summer

You HAVE to take OChem, Physics, and even Biochem (for some) as prerequisites... so...

Fear of a bad grade is probably not as bad as the kinds of fears faced by physicians so it would be a good exercise to practice some courage. I'm no adcom or even very experienced, but if I were trying to show altruism AND that nursing was not for me, I would steer clear of any more hospital volunteering (which closely resembles nursing stuff IMO) and stick to shadowing and tutoring refugees in English, working at soup kitchens, animal shelters, etc.

it's normal to feel scared you won't do well in the prereqs, especially when you have to be on your game. i went in with that fear but it pushed me to work harder (+ working full-time). you just do what you gotta do! best of luck to you.

you have to do what you want. Of course for some it can take many years to figure that out, and others are lucky and know early on. You can also live in denial like a lot of folks and do something out of tradition, convenience or familial expectations.