Nursing to Vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hilaree320

Como estas?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is actually my first post in the Pre-Vet forum.

Ok a little info.. I am currently a junior (senior in about a week!) nursing student at Auburn University, 21 years old. I have a year until I graduate with my BSN, and I am on scholarship with a local hospital which means they pay for my tuition, but I work for them for 2-3 years after I graduate.

Lately, however.. I am NOT wanting to be a nurse for the rest of my life. I love studying diseases and all of that, but I am just not excited about the patient care part. And the lack of autonomy that nurses have. Give meds and wipe butts all day.

Ever since I was little I've wanted to be a professional, a doctor of some sort. At first I thought MD, but realized that was NOT it. Then dentist, but another big no. Could never do pharmacy, yuck. I considered vet at the beginning of my college career because I adore animals, I just love their innocence and their intricate design that our Creator made them with. Just stuns me. BUT.. Of course, when you're young, $$$ is an issue and vets, infamously, don't get paid as much as other docs. Well now I realize that this just does not matter in the long run..

I am really considering applying to vet school a couple years after I graduate. Since I am a student at AU and Alabama resident, that is the only school I'll be applying to. My GPA is ok, especially my prenursing science GPA (about a 3.7 so far). Nursing GPA, however, isn't that great. Alot of C's. I guess I just let myself go because I realize this is just NOT want I want to do. I'm not excited about it. Ya know?

I'll only have to take about 6 science courses after I graduate, either from AU or from the local CC. I just don't know!! ahh. I went into nursing because of the security of always having a job, being able to work parttime when I have kids (btw I am married, my husband is majoring in Industrial Engineering.. will be done soon), the money isn't bad, etc. I guess while I was working as a nurse, I would take only 1 maybe 2 science classes a semester until I am done with pre-vet req.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it crazy to go from nursing to vet? I'm sure I'll get quite a few questions about that in interviews, if I decide to go for it! Will they heavily look at my nursing GPA, or mainly pre-req science GPA?? When I graduate I'll probably have a 2.8 nursing GPA (trying to raise that) but a 3.7 science GPA.

Anyone else this nontraditional?? hhaha. I know I still have a few years to think about this.

Any advice??? thanks for listening (or reading) :)

Members don't see this ad.

We'll I have to say your behind the eight ball. Not only because of your GPA (which they will look at it all) but more importantly because you have no vet experience. So is it possible to go from nursing to vet? Absolutely. You will have to work hard and raise your GPA some, you will have to take some time to get work experience at a veterinary office as well but if this is something you want to really do you can do it. Even if it means going to a Carribean school ya just have to want it. Good luck!

Also where I think your mistaken is your assumption that "when you're young, $$$ is an issue and vets, infamously, don't get paid as much as other docs." I mean yeah doctors can certainly make an obscene amount of money but like every other career a vet jobs pay is what you make it. If you aspire to own your own clinic in a high end city you WILL make a lot of money. The vet I work for just retired and sold her clinic for well over a million dollars. Basically what Im saying is making a lot of money and being a vet are two things that can co-exist.

War Eagle! Yay for being an Auburn student.

I don't have any experience regarding the switch from nursing to vet med, but here are my few comments; 1) follow your passion/dreams - you only live once. If you have a burning desire & fire for vet med, you will earn a living wage. You won't get rich, but you'll get your loans paid off (eventually) and won't go hungry. 2) Once you graduate and go back to take those last few pre-reqs I would enroll as a non-degree seeking student (or a second major) as opposed to taking them at Southern Union CC, since you really want to shine in those pre-reqs. 3) Get a LOT of veterinary experience starting as soon as possible - if your only experience is being a client it may not be the dream job that you've imagined.... but it may very well be, and you'll find that out & it will solidify your drive to endure the additional schooling and career change. Last but not least, I'm not terribly familiar with how nursing schools are designed, but .... if they are undergrad-level courses (ie. BSN program) they will count towards your GPAs that the vet school will calculate... so you'll want to get those grades up asap. Auburn calculates several different GPAs which each count for a number of "points" in their admissions calculations. And, don't forget about the GRE.

Best of luck...:luck:

PS- you are more than welcome to PM if you think there is anything I can help you with. WAR EAGLE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost exactly three years ago I was in a similar boat to yours. I wanted to be a vet, but I had no experience and I had, actually, fewer pre-reqs than you do. (But my GPA was higher--3.64, which I raised to a 3.81.) I think your main problem is squeezing in vet experience hours around the hours you have already promised to the hospital. I had to keep a non-vet job for a while until I had enough experience to make money at a veterinary job. You'll just have to put in extra hours where you can. It's totally do-able, but it will take A LOT of dedication. To do what I did in 2.5 years (the amt of time up until I applied) required the effort of no only me, but my family as well. (So make sure the hubby and parents, kids, dogs, cats, etc. are up for it too.) Good luck! :luck:

i was on the human med track for some time (and also considered nursing). it is totally possible to switch, but like others have said, you will need to bring that grade point up and get some experience. even if you extend school another year and tack on another major, that may help your gpa. one thing that you will really want to consider is your motivation. why do you want to be a vet?? the adcoms will want to hear more than you didn't like human med and that you love animals. get some experience in the clinic, and i'm sure you'll find it. best of luck.

Oh my goodness. You're only 21....you have so much time to get where you want to be. I just turned 33 and picked up a 3rd job at a clinic to get my experience.

Get eh GPA up, get good GRE scores, get some vet tech hours. It may take you a couple of years of applying, but you'll still beat my age when ya get in! Go for it!

Before you decide to drop everything and put all efforts toward vet-med, I'd recommend just simply taking time to get a job or volunteer at a clinic/shelter and put in a good amount of hours. This will not only get you some experience along the way, but it will give you a good perspective to actually get in and see if even vet-med is the profession you want to be in.

But no, at 21 years old you aren't that crazy :)

there was one more thing i wanted to add/emphasize.... i think that you have to really like science (in general - not particular - as i loathe physics). vet med is MEDICINE - it is science-based, and there just is no getting around it. you imply that you wouldn't want to be an MD. why is that?? (and not that it is bad - as most of us here wouldn't want to be either - that's why we are on the vet route). there are a lot of ways dvm and md are similar, and i just wouldn't want you to waste a bunch of time and money before you figure that out. but, alas, that is what youth is for, right? and, at 21, you certainly qualify :)