Nursing vs. Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dictionaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I saw a few threads like this... but most them have people focusing on the amount of time or debt when choosing between careers. I'm applying to medical school already, so maybe a minor crisis is only natural reading the "end stage" of four years of preparation... but basically I'm going to be working as a CNA during the time before medical school, and it's making me worry about whether or not medicine will really be fulfilling.

I've shadowed doctors mostly in private practice and once in a hospital, and I did notice that the doctors in hospitals seemed very rushed and falsely cheerful with patients... but I've been more interested in private practice anyway. This is the first time that I've ever seen it from a nursing perspective, though... and the doctors seem kind of awful. They're rushed, and they don't seem to have a good sense of how to interact differently with individual patients--just the same over-enthusiastic greeting for every single one. That is when they're around... you see them very rarely anywhere around the halls or patient rooms. A lot of customization for individuals seems to be taking place at the nursing level and being reported back up.

I'm starting to worry that maybe what I want (getting to know patients, developing care plans based on individual needs, lots of patient education particularly involving chronic illness) just isn't what doctors seem to do. I'm aware that while I saw these things in private practice, that sector is sort of dying... and that I could get stuck working in a hospital system. On the other hand, palliative care seems to be developing quickly and seems to offer the opportunities I'm looking for.

Has anyone else had these hesitations? Anyone with experience to tell me if my estimation of how the roles work is wrong? Has anyone picked one or the other at some point?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I saw a few threads like this... but most them have people focusing on the amount of time or debt when choosing between careers. I'm applying to medical school already, so maybe a minor crisis is only natural reading the "end stage" of four years of preparation... but basically I'm going to be working as a CNA during the time before medical school, and it's making me worry about whether or not medicine will really be fulfilling.

I've shadowed doctors mostly in private practice and once in a hospital, and I did notice that the doctors in hospitals seemed very rushed and falsely cheerful with patients... but I've been more interested in private practice anyway. This is the first time that I've ever seen it from a nursing perspective, though... and the doctors seem kind of awful. They're rushed, and they don't seem to have a good sense of how to interact differently with individual patients--just the same over-enthusiastic greeting for every single one. That is when they're around... you see them very rarely anywhere around the halls or patient rooms. A lot of customization for individuals seems to be taking place at the nursing level and being reported back up.

I'm starting to worry that maybe what I want (getting to know patients, developing care plans based on individual needs, lots of patient education particularly involving chronic illness) just isn't what doctors seem to do. I'm aware that while I saw these things in private practice, that sector is sort of dying... and that I could get stuck working in a hospital system. On the other hand, palliative care seems to be developing quickly and seems to offer the opportunities I'm looking for.

Has anyone else had these hesitations? Anyone with experience to tell me if my estimation of how the roles work is wrong? Has anyone picked one or the other at some point?

Medicine will be what you make of it if/when you choose to pursue it in the end. Not all doctors are the way you describe. In fact, I would say most that I've encountered are not. Yes, in the hospital setting, it is true that the doctors storms through and leaves a cloud of dust in the process and that's because they have 25 patients waiting at their clinic and a million other things to accomplish between then and when they clock out for the day. Of course, that doesn't apply to a hospitalist, but you catch my drift I'm sure. This is just the nature of the beast. If you want to pay off the debt, pay the overhead, etc...you gotta stay busy.

I had considered nursing when I wasn't sure if I would get into med school. I would still very much enjoy it if that had been my fate. And I, too, feel similar burdens that you do. I'm always feeling sorry for others in the healthcare team, knowing they do so much work and get no glory really. However, when I truly committed to the idea of medicine, I realized this was just my opportunity to NOT be that doctor. I promised myself that I would take note of all the things my preceptors did that I didn't like and I would do my very best not to do those things. So maybe thinking of it that way will help you feel better about your pursuit. The world is ALWAYS in need of amazing nurses that care, though, and if you feel that tug, you should consider following that.

Also, as a side note, I'm not sure what you mean as far as the private practice sector dying out, but no matter what you decide...you will always have the clinic setting where you can achieve what you've described, even if you are owned by a hospital or whatever the case may be.

You should go into nuring.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're an ******* because you're an *******. You will not become an ******* just because you graduated from medical school. Practice medicine however you want.

Hey guys,

Nurses don't do this. So you are left with option B?

i am a nurse working towards an education as DO. It is rough out there in a hospital. some docs are pricks, some patients are a holes and some nurses are as useful as rocks. that doesnt summate what doctors and nurses are. I work with some really awesome docs who have bad bed side manners, but they are good at what they do. sometimes you have to overlook the bad to see the good. confidence and an overall trust comes with time. ask yourself what you truly want deep down. if you doubt yourself, then you havent spend enough time reflecting on what you want out of this

However, when I truly committed to the idea of medicine, I realized this was just my opportunity to NOT be that doctor. I promised myself that I would take note of all the things my preceptors did that I didn't like and I would do my very best not to do those things.

:thumbup:

tumblr_inline_mjejs8fblr1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Nurses don't do this. So you are left with option B?

Yea. Sure. Maybe you should know a little about nursing before you post on what nurses do and do not do. Nursing is a task-oriented profession consisting of care plans based on pt. diagnoses.

You're only seeing a small fraction of what the physician is like. And, of course, not all physicians are created equally. If you have good bedside manners as a physician patients or others will straight up tell you. I've been told by quite a few number of patients they really enjoyed the time I took with them to explain what was going on and that they feel as if sometimes no one listens to them. Give people your time and you'll be fine. Address what needs to be addressed but don't muck around.

For a similar discussion in pre-allo see this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1031126 and my post there: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14423910&postcount=11

When I first shadowed a hospitalist, I was amazed at the pace of his job. During the shaddowing, he sometimes appeared stressed and did not interact much with me. Then he would take me back to his office and speak for a long time about how much he enjoyed his job and would encourage me to join the profession. I shadowed with this physician for a week and at the end of the experience he recommended that I get a job as a nurse's aide, and even offered a recommendation on my behalf.

I originally worried about entering this environment, but luckily I took his advice. The transition was indeed difficult but I genuinely began to enjoy the job after several weeks. I act kindly towards my patients and I do not have to assume an altered personality to act kindly...and I happily do my job despite a low pay. When I look at the staff around me, physicians included, I believe that almost all are genuine in their interactions with patients. Sure, sometimes I feel stressed because of understaffing and a hectic workload, but I don't take my frustrations out on my patients. This just feels like the proper behavior and it's professional behavior.

Nevertheless, even on those hectic days, I feel satisfied going home. In fact the feeling may be more rewarding on a hectic day than an easy day. I may still go into private practice, but I know that I can make the best of many situations. I think you should definitely give it a fair chance and you may be surprised with your new attitude. Having you current train of thought sets you up for disappointment and failure.

Nurses are caretakers, and what you described above would relate well to a future in nursing. Just because you "want to apply" to medical school doesn't mean it's too late.

If the title scares you, you can always go the NP route in the future.

I worked as a PCT and treated patients alongside RN's and LPN's. For me the distinction is very clear. Nurses treat the patients, physicians treat the disease. If you find yourself enjoying the direct patient care and not necessarily caring primarily about what the medications are and how they are impacting the patient, maybe nursing is for you. If you find yourself caring about how the patients symptoms are interconnected, what exactly is going on from a biochemical/physiological standpoint, and want the autonomy and decision making responsibility over the healthcare treatment, maybe becoming a physician is for you.

Hopefully this post isn't insulting to any career, and again it is accurate just from my own personal experiences. People have different goals in life and one occupation doesn't necessarily mean that it requires a higher intelligence than another. I personally loved talking with patients, but was frustrated at both the scope of my abilities and the technical aspects of my position. You gotta do what you love!

Reactions: 1 user
If you find yourself enjoying the direct patient care and not necessarily caring primarily about what the medications are and how they are impacting the patient, maybe nursing is for you.

I think one of the key elements of being a good nurse is knowing about the medications and recognizing when your patient is being prescribed something this is not beneficial or seeing the need for additional treatment and requesting it from the physician. I'd say about 80% of the time a nurse requests a med order it is given. This can be very helpful, especially when the patient won't be seen until rounds 12+ hours later.

Also, the amount of direct patient care performed by physicians obviously varies greatly depending on specialty.

I worked as a PCT and treated patients alongside RN's and LPN's. For me the distinction is very clear. Nurses treat the patients, physicians treat the disease. If you find yourself enjoying the direct patient care and not necessarily caring primarily about what the medications are and how they are impacting the patient, maybe nursing is for you. If you find yourself caring about how the patients symptoms are interconnected, what exactly is going on from a biochemical/physiological standpoint, and want the autonomy and decision making responsibility over the healthcare treatment, maybe becoming a physician is for you.

Hopefully this post isn't insulting to any career, and again it is accurate just from my own personal experiences. People have different goals in life and one occupation doesn't necessarily mean that it requires a higher intelligence than another. I personally loved talking with patients, but was frustrated at both the scope of my abilities and the technical aspects of my position. You gotta do what you love!

I'll agree mostly, however nursing in more acute areas requires more than just pill pushing. I'm in a neuro department and I'm on call to assess potential stroke victims and determine qualification for tPA therapy/interventional therapy and then relay that information to the physician.

ICU nurses are very systems oriented and CVRU nurses are a different breed altogether.

Nurses are supposed to know the effects and potential adverse effects of the medications we give. I withhold medications that I feel could endanger my patient at that moment; however, it is my job to relay that message to the physician. Unfortunately, adverse medication effects will often reflect poorly on nursing licenses more than the prescribers; however, it's often a result of poor assessments or overwork on the nursing side, and poor physician-nurse communication.

I think one of the key elements of being a good nurse is knowing about the medications and recognizing when your patient is being prescribed something this is not beneficial or seeing the need for additional treatment and requesting it from the physician. I'd say about 80% of the time a nurse requests a med order it is given. This can be very helpful, especially when the patient won't be seen until rounds 12+ hours later.

Also, the amount of direct patient care performed by physicians obviously varies greatly depending on specialty.

Well that takes my post completely out of context :-(.

Yea. Sure. Maybe you should know a little about nursing before you post on what nurses do and do not do. Nursing is a task-oriented profession consisting of care plans based on pt. diagnoses.

The exact opposite is true

OK so nurses do this, good to know. OP should become a nurse then, when OP feels compelled to do medicine then go for it.

Last edited:
I think this thread title is misleading and people responding are not reading the original post. If I'm not mistaken, the OP is not trying to decide between nursing vs medical school, he or she already applied to medical school. He or she is worried about working in a hospital setting vs a private practice setting, because of previous shadowing experiences.
Is this right OP? Or are you actually considering nursing?

It sounds like the OP wants the personal interactions with those they come into contact with. That's pretty awesome!!

I'm an ER nurse. The doc's are in and out and input the orders into the computer. They are good; some better than others but as a whole, they're fine. However, I'm the one that the patient sees the most. I hear if the doc is good, bad, this place sucks, it's cold, can we have a blanket, pillow, sprite, what's that test for, you're NOT putting an IV there, where's the bathroom, why the #$%^ can't the doctor get in here, why is it taking so long, I need more dilaudid, you name it.

Where I worked before, a doc could have an academy award for the best "fake" smile ever!! When he walked out of the room, it'd be, "What a #$$%^& idiot". He'd never go back into there again.

It's really up to you and what you ultimately want. Try working as a CNA in the ED, or as a tech there. See if you like that, as a nurse or physician and then make your decision. They're both good in their own way.