NUS med admission (foreign qualifications)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkdwhiz1188

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a Singaporean who has just finished Year 12 in Perth, WA. I'd be very interested to know how what sort of TER/UAI is needed to gain admission to NUS med sch. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think that is possible, NUS med faculty is very competitive and it requires only the very best A levels before they even consider u. australia year 12 is at the most equals our O levels only

Well...they accept Thai/Japanese qualifications which aren't very different from the OZ yr 12...

Members don't see this ad :)
tkdwhiz1188 said:
Well...they accept Thai/Japanese qualifications which aren't very different from the OZ yr 12...

Are you sure that Japanese qualification aren't different from australia year 12? In my opinion any East Asian country year 12 or equivalent standard is MUCH higher than australia year 12.

Hi, I am not sure about the TER you need to enter NUS. However, say you're able to complete your med school in Aust, i know for a fact that NationalHealth and SingHealth recruit Aust medical graduate actively. Many of my friends, who are international students at the University of Melbourne, are commencing their internship in Singapore this year. So, if your aim is to work in S'pore after graduation, then completing your med degree here will still enable ya to do that. Good Luck.

tkdwhiz1188 said:
Hi! I'm a Singaporean who has just finished Year 12 in Perth, WA. I'd be very interested to know how what sort of TER/UAI is needed to gain admission to NUS med sch. Thanks!

Entering NUS med very competitive. They do accept most qualifications, But bcoz >2000 local applicants compete for 200 places every year, priority given to A levels & IB. I did attempt to apply but they find me too old despite my good grades (i already have a degree). Better study med in Oz. Later on you can come back to S'pore to work.

I will be going to Oz 2 years later for 2nd half of med school; i'm now in the 1st year IMU twinning program.

It's just about impossible to enter Medicine at NUS with any qualification other than A-levels...especially if you're a singaporean. The standard of a levels is much higher than Ausmat and a TER/UAI of 100.00 is not even equivalent to AAA at A-levels. That said, even students with 5A's at A-levels don't get in due to the competitive selection process and the number of applicants. I would suggest shelving the thought of entering med at NUS if you do not present at least 4 or 5As at A-levels. Consider IMU if you don't want to do clinicals here. But it might be extremely difficult to enter with Australian Year 12 for the Aug intake (the Feb intake is next week) because you wil be competing with the a-levels students, STPM, and Malaysian government scholars, and they give preference to A-levels.

Oh shucks...btw r u singaporean, porkchop?

nope..I'm Malaysian...I do have friends doing medicine in IMU, NUS, PMC and Melaka-Manipal Medical College and elsewhere, so I have heard quite a bit. You should broaden your options. Maybe consider taking a gap year off to do voluntary work, clinical attachments or something constructive, etc. before applying for 2007 intake? It isn't a waste of time, and in fact if you mention during your interview that you took a year off to do something useful and especially relevant to medicine, it would really help boost your application.

I'm Singaporean, entered the IMU august 05 intake. Entered with a Australian degree, so I guess the Ausmat should be ok. I dont see a problem getting in if grades are reasonably good. Why waste another year? There's still time for attachments between now until start of aug intake, and there are plenty of opportunities for attachments during end-semester breaks.

Yeah IMU is fine with Ausmat but they prefer A-levels (or stpm or ib). the aug intake is always more competitive than feb...i know of someone who entered a feb intake with a TER of 85.xx, and another with BBC for a-levels, and that's like wayyyy too borderline! And my classmate who got AAA forecast for a-levels, excellent co-curriculars, interview was fine, got pushed to the next intake instead after being KIV-ed. Of course if your results are reasonably good, you stand a better chance of being accepted into Aug. But there's no harm trying, really. Bear in mind, though, that IMU only allows an applicant to apply only once. That should be of some concern. Would you risk being rejected if you apply for august? It might help if you apply early for the aug intake though (like now). IMU is getting really popular because of both the Seremban and PMS options, and for the aug 2005 intake they received 500+ applications. Take into consideration the JPA scholars, MARA scholars, private scholars, A-level top scorers from the colleges AND STPM candidates

They're getting really cocky abt everything...and if you don't mind giving up dissections, do consider IMU. There are so many PMS to twin with, and you don't necessarily have to go to Australia.