nutrition major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyqt4ya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone take nutrition as their undergrad major? If so, was it difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken many of the same classes as these majors. They are not easy and some are quite difficult.

sorry repeat

Members don't see this ad :)
Nutrition was my major and I changed it to Biology. It was a complete waste of time so I jsut made it my minor. If your school is ADA Acredited.. there is a specific list of courses you have to take as requirements for the degree, meaning no electives or choosing your own classes. A specific list of courses that you are required to take. I worked over the summer as a nutrition tech and i learned how much a waste of time nutrition was, I love the subject but if you are not an RD it is useless. (Even an RD is uselsss now adays) I didnt like the classes, yes they are extremely easy but they focus more on public health, and cooking, etc. Not the medical aspect, this is what I am interested in. Majoring in Biology had been much more rewarding for me b/c I like the ability to chose my classes and electives and take classes that interest me. Just my $.02:cool:

Nutrition was my major and I changed it to Biology. It was a complete waste of time so I jsut made it my minor. If your school is ADA Acredited.. there is a specific list of courses you have to take as requirements for the degree, meaning no electives or choosing your own classes. A specific list of courses that you are required to take. I worked over the summer as a nutrition tech and i learned how much a waste of time nutrition was, I love the subject but if you are not an RD it is useless. (Even an RD is uselsss now adays) I didnt like the classes, yes they are extremely easy but they focus more on public health, and cooking, etc. Not the medical aspect, this is what I am interested in. Majoring in Biology had been much more rewarding for me b/c I like the ability to chose my classes and electives and take classes that interest me. Just my $.02:cool:

I majored in Nutrition and I loved it. I can't imagine doing something else. Of course I took a lot of bio classes as pre-rec: anatomy and phys, microbio, biochem which tie closely into nutrition and went more in dept than gen bio- very helpfull for the MCAT. Medical Nutrition Therapy classes where actually one of the things that inspired me to change to pre-med. I learned a lot about different diseases none of my bio major friends were never exposed to, and how to treat these diseases nutritionally. I currently work in a hospital as a diet tech and feel that RDs are not given enough pull in patient care which makes me want to become a physician even more. If thats what you are interested in... do it!

I have to agree with Hkoser, it was the MNT that made me decide pre-med! There are several aspects of nutrition and unfortunatly many times the food prep/service turns people off. However, I've taken over 6 400 level courses that were more than challenging. And to state again - it makes a huge difference if your school is ADA, otherwise the classes only count towards grad. credit - not a career in dietetics and you'll have to do them over. Go Nutrition (I love it)!:love:

I think it depends on the course. Most of my nutrition classes were, considering they had biochemistry and physiology as pre-reqs.

I wasn't a nutrition major but I took a lot of their courses as electives. I thought it was more useful than the biochem taught in medical school.

AMCAS does not list nutrition as BPCM. However, as someone mentioned, some nutrition classes do end up being counted towards your BPCM. Nutritional science (biochemistry/physiology & metabolism-based nutrition), for example, is counted. Not sure about others. Perhaps contact AMCAS to find out about individual classes if you are curious.

And as everyone else has been saying, MNT, and also client-centered interviewing, are great aspects of having a background in nutrition. Many medical schools faintly cover nutrition, if at all, in their curriculums. Even though it is possible to pick up in various parts of your medical education, it seems as though many current physicians were not able to do so.