NY GPR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloorMatt

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've narrowed down the NY GPRs based on location but still have quite a few. I've tried the search feature but theres really no recent info on here. I'll also be contacting program directors to try to get more info/speak to residents but would still love some input. I ultimately want to get a lot of general experience and a little bit of everything. If you know anything about these gprs pleaaase comment below.

Woodhull
Kings county
VA NY
VA Brooklyn
NYU Langone Brooklyn (lutheran)
Mt sinai
Brooklyn hospital center
NY presbetarian - Brooklyn methodist
NY medical college - Metropolitan hospital
Kingsbrook
Bellevue
Brookdale

Members don't see this ad.

I've interviewed at Kings County. Residents take call dentoalveolar call in the ED roughly every ten days (10 GPR residents) with the OS residency serving as backup. Get a lot of OS experience (including implants and sinus). Also get a lot of endo experience (I believe they get a full day or half day every week of just doing endo). Very busy program, but learn a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
I've interviewed at Kings County. Residents take call dentoalveolar call in the ED roughly every ten days (10 GPR residents) with the OS residency serving as backup. Get a lot of OS experience (including implants and sinus). Also get a lot of endo experience (I believe they get a full day or half day every week of just doing endo). Very busy program, but learn a lot.

How was the area at Kings County? Heard it's really rough

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
  • A lot of hours. Work Saturdays 2 weeks/month. Have a late night in the clinic 1 day/week I believe or maybe every other week as well.
  • Ferry stop basically across the street which can bring you right to the Wall St./Seaport ferry terminal.
Kingsbrook
  • Lacks patients.
  • Has an onsite denture tech. They do a lot of dentures for a nursing home.
  • Still using physical, paper charts/scheduling.
  • A lot of freedom to do what you want, order what supplies you want, schedule patients how you want.
  • Level 3 trauma. Call is light.
  • In the process of making a new hospital system which combines Kingsbrook, Interfaith, and Brookdale. Unclear what this means for their individual GPRs at this point.

Last edited:
Anyone have info on St. Barnabas?
Not located in a great neighborhood. Call is only a few times a month- however, St Barnabas is a level 1 trauma center so be prepared to encounter gunshot wounds, stab wounds in the head/neck region.

This list is all over the place, as the programs are all quite different. A little bit of everything will be almost anywhere. Some of the programs are super competitive, some not competitive at all. Some are city hospitals, others are private or voluntary. What are you really looking for?

@setdoc7: Would you mind letting us know which programs among those originally listed by the OP's are not very competitive? Thank you very much! Those listed are:

Woodhull
Kings county
VA NY
VA Brooklyn
Mt sinai
Brooklyn hospital center
Kingsbrook
Bellevue
Brookdale

It's not for me to say, and with Touro finally graduating classes full of New Yorkers, the old rules may no longer apply with over 100 new applicants in the pool. Even those programs which could not fill their classes with the match and ended up post matching a large percentage of their class may no longer have those issues.

@setdoc7: Would you mind letting us know which programs among those originally listed by the OP's are not very competitive? Thank you very much! Those listed are:

Woodhull
Kings county
VA NY
VA Brooklyn
Mt sinai
Brooklyn hospital center
Kingsbrook
Bellevue
Brookdale
seek out the alums from your school that trained at the programs you're interested in

Any input on the NYU Langone AEGD program in Upper Manhattan? Thank you!

• A lot of hours. Work Saturdays 2 weeks/month. Have a late night in the clinic 1 day/week I believe or maybe every other week as well.
  • Ferry stop basically across the street which can bring you right to the Wall St./Seaport ferry terminal.
Kingsbrook
  • Lacks patients.
  • Has an onsite denture tech. They do a lot of dentures for a nursing home.
  • Still using physical, paper charts/scheduling.
  • A lot of freedom to do what you want, order what supplies you want, schedule patients how you want.
  • Level 3 trauma. Call is light.
  • In the process of making a new hospital system which combines Kingsbrook, Interfaith, and Brookdale. Unclear what this means for their individual GPRs at this point.

Hello, are you familiar with NYU Langone Brooklyn optional second year program? Is it pretty similar to the information you listed above?

I'm not able to find the stipend for some schools like NYMC, or BronxCare, any idea?