NY license - does GPR completion expire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijk90825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finishing up my GPR in NY and going to take a break for few monthes before job searching.
I don't see any reason to apply for the NY license if I'm not working right away, and wondering if GPR certificate ever expire(?) and have to repeat/fulfill the requirement again.

I couldn't find any info on NYSED website.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you cannot technically apply for your license prior to June 30, I would send it in then, as you will not receive the actual license until around the first or second week of August. VicViper.....CODA Accredited.....ADEA has nothing to do with accreditation. I know you know that.

Since you cannot technically apply for your license prior to June 30, I would send it in then, as you will not receive the actual license until around the first or second week of August. VicViper.....CODA Accredited.....ADEA has nothing to do with accreditation. I know you know that.

Haha, that's what I meant

A certification of completion of a post graduate program does not expire. Does your diploma from schools expire? No.
No, but that wasn’t the intended question. The question is about the state-dictated timeline to apply for licensure in relation to a completed program. Most states have some sort of stipulation as far as time passed and a persons ability to apply for a license. Your diploma/residency certificate may not expire, but in some states, if you haven’t applied within x months of graduating/completing a program, you are required to complete additional CE to supplement the time that you weren’t practicing in the state, even if you were practicing in a different state.

No, but that wasn’t the intended question. The question is about the state-dictated timeline to apply for licensure in relation to a completed program. Most states have some sort of stipulation as far as time passed and a persons ability to apply for a license. Your diploma/residency certificate may not expire, but in some states, if you haven’t applied within x months of graduating/completing a program, you are required to complete additional CE to supplement the time that you weren’t practicing in the state, even if you were practicing in a different state.
Yes! This is very true. I have always practiced in NYS for most of my career and maintained an inactive NJ license. I paid biennually the State of NJ and provided my CE records as required to maintain the inactive status. When it came time for me to activate that NJ license after almost 20 years later, I had to provide a detailed inquiry to what I was doing during the past 20 years, CV, licensure from the other state, recommendations and up to date CE records. I had to jump many hurdles to reactivate my NJ license as it took almost 6 months. Getting back to the intended question, the GPR certificate does not expire.

Yes! This is very true. I have always practiced in NYS for most of my career and maintained an inactive NJ license. I paid biennually the State of NJ and provided my CE records as required to maintain the inactive status. When it came time for me to activate that NJ license after almost 20 years later, I had to provide a detailed inquiry to what I was doing during the past 20 years, CV, licensure from the other state, recommendations and up to date CE records. I had to jump many hurdles to reactivate my NJ license as it took almost 6 months. Getting back to the intended question, the GPR certificate does not expire.

I see, yeah I was wondering if I have to apply within certain time period in order to acquire license without providing any extra information. like @cooliyak said, I just wasn't clear if they'll make me take some CE courses or some other sort of training if I don't apply within X months of completing residency. Thank you for the great inputs guys.