NY Licensing - Additional Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fallen625

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who is was licensed in NY was asked to complete additional coursework? I have heard through the grapevine this a thing if you go to graduate school in another state, and was wondering if there's anything one can do other than taking the additional coursework.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who is was licensed in NY was asked to complete additional coursework? I have heard through the grapevine this a thing if you go to graduate school in another state, and was wondering if there's anything one can do other than taking the additional coursework.
The issue usually is with you coursework related to cultural competency and ethnic diversity. The board is unlikely to waive educational requirements, and applicants typically take these needed courses through some professional school type of arrangement that allows for non- matriculated students.

Reactions: 1 user
The issue usually is with you coursework related to cultural competency and ethnic diversity. The board is unlikely to waive educational requirements, and applicants typically take these needed courses through some professional school type of arrangement that allows for non- matriculated students.

Thank you, this is helpful. Mine is requiring cognitive/social/history - my graduate program did these courses all in one and then incorporated aspects of this throughout the program (e.g., history incorporated in every course) so I don't know if that will suffice. I guess I didn't know if there's anything one could do to fight it, other than present syllabi and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, this is helpful. Mine is requiring cognitive/social/history - my graduate program did these courses all in one and then incorporated aspects of this throughout the program (e.g., history incorporated in every course) so I don't know if that will suffice. I guess I didn't know if there's anything one could do to fight it, other than present syllabi and hope for the best.

Cog/social/history was all rolled into one course?!? Yeah, that will definitely be a problem for some state boards. You can always try to apply for a variance, but I'd be looking at where you can get those classes taken care of in the meantime.

NY will require a certain number of semester hours in EACH of those subject areas. If it was only one semester long course that touched on those topics, you're going to have some problems. That's a bad choice on the part of your grad program. Out of curiosity, was it an APA accredited program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users