NY Times Article about MS3/4 hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avenue Q

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea i read this article. Interesting. But i just talked to a doc i work with. He strongly encourage the crazy hours that med students/interns/residences have to do because it's a rite of passage. And he said of course he would not do it all over again, he did had some good experience out of it. When you can perform your duties as a doctor under stressful, tired, delirious conditions, then you are going to succeed any other time. Of course, we dont want to go through hell for years to come but if it'll teach me how to be on my toes and how to perform medicine out of instinct, then please, i'm all for it. BRING IT ON BEEEOOTCH!

Since we are talking about sleep and working interns.

Did you know?

Lack of sleep may be related to obesity, diabetes, immune-system dysfunction, and many illnesses, as well as to safety issues such as car accidents and medical errors, plus impaired job performance and productivity in many other activities.

Being awake more than 24 hours impairs performance as much as having a blood-alcohol level of 0.1 percent—which is legally drunk.

(http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/070587.html or http://evil-wire.luvfeed.org/cache/4449 )

Members don't see this ad :)
AxlxA said:
Yea i read this article. Interesting. But i just talked to a doc i work with. He strongly encourage the crazy hours that med students/interns/residences have to do because it's a rite of passage. And he said of course he would not do it all over again, he did had some good experience out of it. When you can perform your duties as a doctor under stressful, tired, delirious conditions, then you are going to succeed any other time. Of course, we dont want to go through hell for years to come but if it'll teach me how to be on my toes and how to perform medicine out of instinct, then please, i'm all for it. BRING IT ON BEEEOOTCH!

This anecdotal line of reasoning is silly and has been widely discredited (check out the Journal of Academic Medicine for starters). Remember, we're being trained to be highly skilled clinicians who can think critically under pressure, not mindless military automatons.

Bluntman said:
This anecdotal line of reasoning is silly and has been widely discredited (check out the Journal of Academic Medicine for starters). Remember, we're being trained to be highly skilled clinicians who can think critically under pressure, not mindless military automatons.
MS3/4 extensive hours are a little silly. Why keep you there when you are not doing anything?

zahque said:
silly is not the right word - innane, outdated and dangerous are more appropriate. it's the academic equivalent of a fraternity hazing, and little more.

I agree. But I don't expect it to change before I get there....

Bluntman said:

i think there is a critical mass. The training is supposed to make many parts of our task behavior/automatic so that much is instinctual and we can concentrate our efforts on critical reasoning. At a certain point, however, it becomes excessive and worthless.

Bluntman said:
Remember, we're being trained to be highly skilled clinicians who can think critically under pressure, not mindless military automatons.

You don't know much about the military do you?

fiddler

bring on the caffiene, ritalin, and whatever else. 2 years of this junk won't kill you too much.

fiddler said:
You don't know much about the military do you?

fiddler

Bro that's besides the point...Simply replace military with robot in your mind if it rubs you the wrong way.