Question About Volunteering Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbabsolutelegend

Reaction score
Hi! I’m in a bit of an interesting situation. I volunteered at a place last year and kept a log of the days I went in and the hours I worked. Since it was close to my house and I wasn’t doing much of anything else, I often “dropped in” on days outside my shift (as they were always always in need). When putting hours, I put in the number of hours that I was actually there, based on my own excel sheet.

Well, the other day I dropped in to talk to the coordinator and as we got to talking about the app cycle, they let me know that officially, they could only “verify” the number of hours I was officially put down for (per week): 100. They don’t have any sort of sign in / sign out so the only thing they have to go by is the sign up sheet, which kind of stings since I’ve already submitted my actual hours in. (I should have checked in with them about the hours before, a lesson I learned in retrospect).

I’m debating what’s the best course of action here. Should I let schools know about the situation? I don’t want to make it seem like I’m purposely construing a false picture of my experiences.

To be clear, there’s about a ~75 hour difference between the two (100 vs 175). I’m wondering what’s the best move going forward. (Also this is literally the only “discrepancy” as I had official logs / billed hours for everything else so it was easy to tell what to do!) @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @gyngyn and anyone else who might have more experience and advice than me!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No action is needed.
Great, thank you so much! Do you foresee this kind of thing getting me in trouble in the future / during verification? I did genuinely do the work and have colleagues who would be able to attest to that. Do you think it might be worth it to have their info / a statement on standby? (Or am I being neurotic?)

Hi! I’m in a bit of an interesting situation. I volunteered at a place last year and kept a log of the days I went in and the hours I worked. Since it was close to my house and I wasn’t doing much of anything else, I often “dropped in” on days outside my shift (as they were always always in need). When putting hours, I put in the number of hours that I was actually there, based on my own excel sheet.

Well, the other day I dropped in to talk to the coordinator and as we got to talking about the app cycle, they let me know that officially, they could only “verify” the number of hours I was officially put down for (per week): 100. They don’t have any sort of sign in / sign out so the only thing they have to go by is the sign up sheet, which kind of stings since I’ve already submitted my actual hours in. (I should have checked in with them about the hours before, a lesson I learned in retrospect).

I’m debating what’s the best course of action here. Should I let schools know about the situation? I don’t want to make it seem like I’m purposely construing a false picture of my experiences.

To be clear, there’s about a ~75 hour difference between the two (100 vs 175). I’m wondering what’s the best move going forward. (Also this is literally the only “discrepancy” as I had official logs / billed hours for everything else so it was easy to tell what to do!) @Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @gyngyn and anyone else who might have more experience and advice than me!

Thanks in advance!
Can you play up some other aspect of your application instead?