NY Times Article on Caribbean Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wjldenver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your GPA and/or MCAT scores are not high enough to get into a U.S. MD program, you should seriously consider a DO program in lieu of the Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, people will still go spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in the Caribbean even after reading this. I gave up on telling people not to go. They always bring up examples of people they know that succeeded in matching as proof that they can too. Reality is you most likely will fail 60+% of the time if you go Caribbean.

Just curious why don’t we hear more stories of people failing out of Carib schools on here? I know a few anecdotes from here but I’d think more students who dropped out would come on here to warn people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious why don’t we hear more stories of people failing out of Carib schools on here? I know a few anecdotes from here but I’d think more students who dropped out would come on here to warn people.
Most of my classmates don't even know what SDN is and the one's that do typically just lurked once or twice. Also, even though this place is anonymous, someone doesn't typically like admitting their failures.

Most of my classmates don't even know what SDN is and the one's that do typically just lurked once or twice. Also, even though this place is anonymous, someone doesn't typically like admitting their failures.

Thank you. I do wish we got to see more of their experience/perspective.

Carib grad here, currently in IM residency. Advice I’d give is to avoid these schools. Sure a lot of us make it out but over half my original class didnt. Not to mention the hurdles with residency apps (apply more broadly, require way higher step scores for much less consideration, etc). If anyone has Qs could give a realistic perspective of what’s up

Reactions: 1 users
Carib grad here, currently in IM residency. Advice I’d give is to avoid these schools. Sure a lot of us make it out but over half my original class didnt. Not to mention the hurdles with residency apps (apply more broadly, require way higher step scores for much less consideration, etc). If anyone has Qs could give a realistic perspective of what’s up
Just curious, those who failed out what do they do now?

why aren’t they warning more students about the Caribbean?

Just curious, those who failed out what do they do now?

why aren’t they warning more students about the Caribbean?

So most of them aren't doing too well. I do know of at least two people who ended up getting into PA school, not sure the specificis. Kinda funny because they recently finished PA school and started making good money while I'm in residency making peanuts

But that's definitely not the norm. Not to mention the people who don't match and have even more debt. One of my friends who failed out is working third shift at a biotech lab, not making a ton of money but it's a job