NYC and Boston Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyconline

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got invitations to interview at new york or boston programs

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah... I have an interview at Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston. No word from B&W or MGH, though, and I didn't apply to any of the NYC programs.

Brig and Womens sent out some invites prior to Nov 1. I have not heard from MGH. (In another thread a current resident recalled that he got his invitation at the end of November.) Columbia Press sent out prior to Nov 1. Mount Sinai sent a message that they would wait until the Dean's letters. I have not heard anything from them yet.

I have heard from some of my most competitive programs and yet have had no word from UNC which I know has sent out invitations prior to Nov 1. My wife received a follow up email from Dartmouth psychiatry when she had never been sent an invitation. When attention was drawn to this the secretary apologized for the oversight and extended the interview.

Has anyone heard from San Diego?

Eli

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview invitation from MGH yesterday via email. I did not apply to any of the New York programs.

I haven't heard from San Diego except for an email I got last week saying that they wouldn't offer an interview until after Dean's letters went out. So, hopefully interviews will be coming soon.

Still haven't heard from Stanford or U Washington. Anyone?

I received an email invitation from Stanford yesterday.

Wow, it's must be really eciting to go through the interview process this year. The memories are still fresh for me. Since the thread was turning to the West Coast, I'll just add my 2 cents.

UCLA-- I did a sub-I there so I interviewed at the end of my rotation. Great program, the program director(s), Dr. Sam Wald and Dr. Joe Rosa are excellent and super-resident advocates. Dr. Wald is a peds anethesiologist from MGH/Boston Children's and is one of a kind. They will have a brand new hospital in 2-3 years. You have to like LA/Beverly hills though. Being from Hawaii, I realized LA wasn't for me.

Stanford-- Super nice facilities. All the perks of being at Stanford. Faculty seemed very nice and diverse. Not in a major city but close to beaches, and lots of great outdoor activities. Residents seemed happy and easy going. Seemed like a place that was very intent on improving an already elite caliber program. Oh, and the best simulator facility I've seen. I wouldn't mind doing fellowship training here.

UCSD-- In San Diego...That says alot. Very relaxed atmosphere. Program director is a great person and very collegial. I may always regret not ranking this place 1st. It was a very good fit for me. The only medium sized program in the nation counted among the top 20. That's probably in part to a hand picked faculty mostly from UCSF and MGH, as well as a high-powered research program. It is a competitive place, the PD told us on interview day that they received over 400 applications for 10 spots and they only interview 90 (this was last year).

UCSF-- The best in the West, and maybe the nation. World reknowned faculty, a phenomenal research history, and a seriously cool location. The name of this place should be a major factor in anyones decision how to rank it. This was the only place in California where about 10% of the applicants I met were already PhD's or just strictly planning on an academic career. They do train lots of community clinicians too though. Basically, I figured if I had the opportunity to train at the best possible location (and I wanted to be in California), then this was it. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about next year. AS the Chairman told us, "You'll be trained by those who are actually creating the information."

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for offering your two cents, offshore. Anyone have any info on UC-Davis?

Received rejections from columbia, cornell and stanford this morning. Didn't expect to get in at these places, but tough to strike out like that.

Most of the NY programs have offered interviews by now. One of my classmates went to the Columbia interview already and said it was pretty easy, asking about why you chose this program, etc. etc.

As for UC Davis, I did research in the dept of anesth while an undergrad, and though I didn't ask about didactics, happiness of the residents, caseload, they did not seem unhappy and were always willing to teach the college students in the OR. The only problem that some people complain about is that you are stuck in Sacto, but at least the cost of living is a LOT less than in New York! :cool:

hi guys,

it's such an anxiety inducing week after the dean's letter went out last friday. heard from columbia, cornell, st. lukes-roosevelt, still waiting for mount sinai. for boston, heard from mgh today for interview but no words from brigham yet. got rejection from virgina mason and stanford:confused:

heard from ucla, uci, ucd; no word from ucsd.

ucd: great clinical program, supportive attendings and friendly residents. the program is expanding in terms of number of residents and its structure. new program director this year who is very nice and attentive to residents' concern. great program for those who are interested in clinical aspects of anesthesiology. lacks research and tough cases.

what's the word on cornell and mgh?

good luck on the interview trail.

I've heard from all the California programs except for UCSF.

UCSF sends out their invites in the mail. I got one a few days ago so make sure to check your mailbox.

Just to give people an idea, so far I've heard from:

Stanford
U. Penn
M.G.H
B.I. (Boston)
U.S.C
UT SouthWestern
B.U.

Waiting to hear from UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCSF, UCI. Are the CA schools a little slower? Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck to all.

Ca. Dreamin'

hi everyone,

what is the word on mgh, b&W, cornell, and mount sinai?

I got my first rejection today via e-mail from UCSD. I hope this isn't a trend.

Good luck on the interview trail.

Also got a rejection from UCSD. Another from Colorado.

Bring 'em on!!!