You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
True Private Practice Jobs NYC/LI
Started by brominator
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Who isn't
problem is its rare, and when you find a non amc Private practice partnership track, the partnership track is like 3-5 years long!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Checkout northwell anesthesia. Not Napa or true pp but I’ve heard good things.
Checkout northwell anesthesia. Not Napa or true pp but I’ve heard good things.
Thread is about private practice. Northwell is hospital employed
How is working for a large organization as an employee ever a good thing? You're just a gruntCheckout northwell anesthesia. Not Napa or true pp but I’ve heard good things.
This is the case for most places in New York and I don’t think that’s necessarily bad just depends on what you want out of the job/careerHow is working for a large organization as an employee ever a good thing? You're just a grunt
I had inquired into one of the Northwell positions at one of their hospitals, they said they're a "lifestyle" group and value free time, their hours are 7a to 6pm at the least on weekdays and then call. In my head I'm wondering how the hell is that a lifestyle job... In my current gig that would be equivalent to being 1st or 2nd call every dayThis is the case for most places in New York and I don’t think that’s necessarily bad just depends on what you want out of the job/career
One mans call is another man's lifestyle. NYC docs have been deluded into working low paying jobs and being told its the norm. I cant imagine how little they save compared to anesthesiologists in other parts of the country when so much goes to housing and property taxes/state taxes.I had inquired into one of the Northwell positions at one of their hospitals, they said they're a "lifestyle" group and value free time, their hours are 7a to 6pm at the least on weekdays and then call. In my head I'm wondering how the hell is that a lifestyle job... In my current gig that would be equivalent to being 1st or 2nd call every day
1) Spouses with high paying jobsOne mans call is another man's lifestyle. NYC docs have been deluded into working low paying jobs and being told its the norm. I cant imagine how little they save compared to anesthesiologists in other parts of the country when so much goes to housing and property taxes/state taxes.
2) Many do not live in NYC, or if they do they live in a Borough or Westchester, especially if they have children
3) Single. 300k salary can actually get you pretty far as a single person in Manhattan. Everyone (just about) moves when the kid shows up, unless they have family money and especially if they want to own
It’s all “relative”! Lol.I had inquired into one of the Northwell positions at one of their hospitals, they said they're a "lifestyle" group and value free time, their hours are 7a to 6pm at the least on weekdays and then call. In my head I'm wondering how the hell is that a lifestyle job... In my current gig that would be equivalent to being 1st or 2nd call every day
When do you normally get out on a non call/late day?I had inquired into one of the Northwell positions at one of their hospitals, they said they're a "lifestyle" group and value free time, their hours are 7a to 6pm at the least on weekdays and then call. In my head I'm wondering how the hell is that a lifestyle job... In my current gig that would be equivalent to being 1st or 2nd call every day
3-4PMWhen do you normally get out on a non call/late day?
Anywhere from before noon to maybe 5 latest at hospital and ASCs. If really busy day at ASC then could be 5 to 7p (this is where the bulk of our money comes from so good to be there and get units). Hoping that once enough staff come back on board we can improve precall\post call being offWhen do you normally get out on a non call/late day?
Trust me, I'm inhaling what you're smoking because long days aren't my jam either, but the devil's advocate in me also chuckles a bit when a good majority of professionals in this world work 8-12 hr days and we clutch our pearls when a job has you working similar hours. I say this all tongue in cheek. There are certainly many respondents on here who will say they make 600k leaving everyday a 1pm and maybe they do, but I wouldn't write off a gig as 'non-lifestyle' if they work until 6pm everyday. I think it more depends on call frequency (both weekday and weekend) and "Am I working post call?" is where jobs interfere with lifestyle. I'd call a 7a-6pm with 2 call a month still a "lifestyle" job.I had inquired into one of the Northwell positions at one of their hospitals, they said they're a "lifestyle" group and value free time, their hours are 7a to 6pm at the least on weekdays and then call. In my head I'm wondering how the hell is that a lifestyle job... In my current gig that would be equivalent to being 1st or 2nd call every day
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted87051
Trust me, I'm inhaling what you're smoking because long days aren't my jam either, but the devil's advocate in me also chuckles a bit when a good majority of professionals in this world work 8-12 hr days and we clutch our pearls when a job has you working similar hours. I say this all tongue in cheek. There are certainly many respondents on here who will say they make 600k leaving everyday a 1pm and maybe they do, but I wouldn't write off a gig as 'non-lifestyle' if they work until 6pm everyday. I think it more depends on call frequency (both weekday and weekend) and "Am I working post call?" is where jobs interfere with lifestyle. I'd call a 7a-6pm with 2 call a month still a "lifestyle" job.
For us, 7a-6pm would be 3rd or 4th call every day.
Trust me, I'm inhaling what you're smoking because long days aren't my jam either, but the devil's advocate in me also chuckles a bit when a good majority of professionals in this world work 8-12 hr days and we clutch our pearls when a job has you working similar hours. I say this all tongue in cheek. There are certainly many respondents on here who will say they make 600k leaving everyday a 1pm and maybe they do, but I wouldn't write off a gig as 'non-lifestyle' if they work until 6pm everyday. I think it more depends on call frequency (both weekday and weekend) and "Am I working post call?" is where jobs interfere with lifestyle. I'd call a 7a-6pm with 2 call a month still a "lifestyle" job.
If you left at 6pm everyday that would mean at you’re the last person on the relief list everyday at my job. Working 7a - 6pm everyday is not sustainable and majority of professionals in other other industries to not work 11 hours a day with overnight call mixed in.
My academic shop has us at 7am-5pm as a regular day with per month 2 moderately busy 7pm-7am overnight calls, about 1-2 weekend 7am-7pm, plus about 3 various late calls mixed in (7am-7pm, 7am-9pm, some backups). We don't work post overnight calls but do work after any late or backup calls.
There are a lot of professions that consistently work 8-12 hour days (lawyer immediately comes to mind) and some don't get paid nearly as well as we do, while others possible laugh at our income and lack of bonuses. There's a lot of nuance in all of this but a 60 hr work week for a professional (MD, JD, MBA) is not an unusual thing. I wouldn't be shock if a private practice in a major city like NYC has long days just because the sheer volume is going to be higher than other places.If you left at 6pm everyday that would mean at you’re the last person on the relief list everyday at my job. Working 7a - 6pm everyday is not sustainable and majority of professionals in other other industries to not work 11 hours a day with overnight call mixed in.
Totally agree lots of JD and MBA types out there hustle a ton too but they get rewarded much better for their efforts and retain a plausible ownership stake in their destiny. They sure as hell aren't doing a ton of work for near free (e.g. medicaid and no-pay patients) or taking call for near free. Their time is billed and paid at hundreds per hour. They also aren't doing nonsensical stuff like sharing a room with coworkers to attend a conference where they present because their sad CME fund is $2000 or zero.There are a lot of professions that consistently work 8-12 hour days (lawyer immediately comes to mind) and some don't get paid nearly as well as we do, while others possible laugh at our income and lack of bonuses. There's a lot of nuance in all of this but a 60 hr work week for a professional (MD, JD, MBA) is not an unusual thing. I wouldn't be shock if a private practice in a major city like NYC has long days just because the sheer volume is going to be higher than other places.
That said those JD and MBA types are in a soulless rat race and often don't have anything near the happiness we get from helping patients, so I'll take our job over theirs no question. But I still spite our overall setup for lacking the financial and administrative supports that other professional workers have.
Last edited:
i agree with all of thisTotally agree lots of JD and MBA types out there hustle a ton too and they but they get rewarded much better for their efforts and retain a plausible ownership stake in their destiny. They sure as hell aren't doing a ton of work for near free (e.g. medicaid and no-pay patients) or taking call for near free. Their time is billed and paid at hundreds per hour. They also aren't doing nonsensical stuff like sharing a room with coworkers to attend a conference where they present because their sad CME fund is $2000 or zero.
That said those JD and MBA types are in a soulless rat race and often don't have anything near the happiness we get from helping patients, so I'll take our job over theirs no question. But I still spite our overall setup for lacking the financial and administrative supports that other professional workers have.
D
deleted643396
Just do the math on your hourly wage if you are employed and working 7a-6p everyday with some amount of call on top. Assuming 6-8 weeks of vacation, I would want to be approaching and clearing $700k at that workload. If not, I’d be moving on for greener pastures. At that workload, I would never see my young kids, as I would be out the door before they woke up and home as they were getting ready for bed. No thanks.
D
deleted87051
55-60hrs/week of non-call work plus call is a ton of work and should be well compensated.
If base pay is $200/hr, 60 hrs /week is $12k/week.
We have occasional 12hr days but we make up for with equally frequent 2-4hr days and days off.
If base pay is $200/hr, 60 hrs /week is $12k/week.
We have occasional 12hr days but we make up for with equally frequent 2-4hr days and days off.
Do you think that’s a common W2 base hourly pay? Mine’s certainly less (less for overtime too).55-60hrs/week of non-call work plus call is a ton of work and should be well compensated.
If base pay is $200/hr, 60 hrs /week is $12k/week.
We have occasional 12hr days but we make up for with equally frequent 2-4hr days and days off.
D
deleted643396
Do you think that’s a common W2 base hourly pay? Mine’s certainly less (less for overtime too).
Working 7-5 or 7-6 everyday that you are not on call is brutal and adding call on top of it is just demoralizing. I couldn’t do it. As has been pointed out in other threads, it’s not impossible and actually pretty easy these days to find a 7-3, 40 hr week job with 6 weeks vacation paying around $350k W2. That works out to just a touch under $200/hr. For only working banker’s hours, paying less than $200/hr is fine and probably fair, but once you start throwing longer days, nights, and weekends in, I’d want my time to be valued more.
1) Spouses with high paying jobs
2) Many do not live in NYC, or if they do they live in a Borough or Westchester, especially if they have children
3) Single. 300k salary can actually get you pretty far as a single person in Manhattan. Everyone (just about) moves when the kid shows up, unless they have family money and especially if they want to own
depends on what you mean by pretty far... a 1 bedroom apartment near work in manhattan can easily be 1/3 of your post tax salary.
working 7-5 for regular days is brutal. because that means they are likely your shortest days. especially if you have to work a weekend. mix it in with calls and work hours probably ~60 a week which is far more than other fields especially since it includes sleep cycle changes. work 6 hrs a week during the same hours is way easier than 60 hrs with sleep cycle changes.
D
deleted87051
Do you think that’s a common W2 base hourly pay? Mine’s certainly less (less for overtime too).
Yes I think that’s close to average/median. My group pays people to attend hospital committee meetings to make up for lost clinical time and we pay more than that.
Exactly, what's the point of working like a dog if you don't get to see your family and kids grow up. I'd rather make a little less and work decent hours to be able to be at home before bed time for my kid.Just do the math on your hourly wage if you are employed and working 7a-6p everyday with some amount of call on top. Assuming 6-8 weeks of vacation, I would want to be approaching and clearing $700k at that workload. If not, I’d be moving on for greener pastures. At that workload, I would never see my young kids, as I would be out the door before they woke up and home as they were getting ready for bed. No thanks.
You have the 2nd Shxttiest job on SDN. #1 honor belongs to anbuitachi.Do you think that’s a common W2 base hourly pay? Mine’s certainly less (less for overtime too).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad