NYC/CALI dermpath programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermpathlover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking on google and can't find a complete list.

What dermpath programs are there in NYC or California (preferrably Bay Area or LA)? How good are they? Anyone with any experience on the chances of getting in?

TY

Members don't see this ad.

Not trying to be rude, but how much of a dermpath lover can you be that you don't know about LeBoit and McCalmont at UCSF and Kamino at NYU?

dermpathlover said:
I have been looking on google and can't find a complete list.

What dermpath programs are there in NYC or California (preferrably Bay Area or LA)? How good are they? Anyone with any experience on the chances of getting in?

TY

Try the ASDP website. I think their list is updated and complete (at least the last time I checked).

I have gotten conflicting info on whether or not UC Irvine's fellowship program is still up and running.

UCSF typically wants fellows to do 2 years.

Stanford almost will never take in a Path-trained applicant without a Surg Path fellowship in line before doing Dermpath with them.

Ackerman has several spots availble and they interview applicants for 1 whole week.

Cornell's program might change with Cynthia Magro moving in from Ohio State.

Members don't see this ad :)
BigD said:
Try the ASDP website. I think their list is updated and complete (at least the last time I checked).

I have gotten conflicting info on whether or not UC Irvine's fellowship program is still up and running.

Stanford almost will never take in a Path-trained applicant without a Surg Path fellowship in line before doing Dermpath with them.

Ackerman has several spots availble and they interview applicants for 1 whole week.

Cornell's program might change with Cynthia Magro moving in from Ohio State.

So those are them? NYU, Cornell, UCSF, Stanford and Irvine. Toss Irvine out. I can't believe So Cal only has one program.

A week long interview???? That sucks. I guess they want to make sure you aren't an annoying a-hole

OK after more research. I found out that CALI has 3 programs and NYC has 5 or 6.

Irvine doesn't have a program.

dermpathlover said:
A week long interview???? That sucks. I guess they want to make sure you aren't an annoying a-hole

Or alternatively, that they want to make sure you are an annoying a-hole, from what I hear about the place. :laugh:

yaah said:
Or alternatively, that they want to make sure you are an annoying a-hole, from what I hear about the place. :laugh:

Interesting tactic. Try to be a pompous d-head to get the slot.

Speaking personally, I'd say that Ackerman in NYC, MGH in Boston and UCSF in S.F. would be my top recommendations for Dermpath (world-wide, actually).
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but, frankly, the vast majority of the top dogs are from these programs. UCSF is clearly the most research-oriented, while Ackerman (now led by Geoff Gottlieb) sees more than anybody else. MGH is between the two. However, they're so distinctive, that you're likely to see that a person who loves one of the programs would never dream of attending one of the other programs. In reality, however, few would disagree that they produce very, very good Dermpaths. NYU is good too. However, while Kamino is a very good Dermpath, I personally simply has such difficulty understanding her accent that it puts a dampener on my keeness for that program. But yes, it is good too.

In terms of competitiveness, they're all probably the most competitive among the highly competitive Dermpath programs out there.

Are you sure that UCSF is the most research oriented? I heard that the two main dudes there sign out hundreds of cases in a 12 hours a day. How in the hell would they have time to do research?

Are the UCSF people and Ackerman/Kamino path trained or derm trainined? Does coming from Derm give you the upper hand in terms of gettin fellowships.

PathOne said:
Speaking personally, I'd say that Ackerman in NYC, MGH in Boston and UCSF in S.F. would be my top recommendations for Dermpath (world-wide, actually).
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but, frankly, the vast majority of the top dogs are from these programs. UCSF is clearly the most research-oriented, while Ackerman (now led by Geoff Gottlieb) sees more than anybody else. MGH is between the two. However, they're so distinctive, that you're likely to see that a person who loves one of the programs would never dream of attending one of the other programs. In reality, however, few would disagree that they produce very, very good Dermpaths. NYU is good too. However, while Kamino is a very good Dermpath, I personally simply has such difficulty understanding her accent that it puts a dampener on my keeness for that program. But yes, it is good too.

In terms of competitiveness, they're all probably the most competitive among the highly competitive Dermpath programs out there.

LeBoit is path trained (and I think McCalmont is as well, but not 100% sure).

UCSFbound said:
LeBoit is path trained (and I think McCalmont is as well, but not 100% sure).

How many fellows do they take a year. THe pathology outlies site doesn't say? Do they take out of program fellows that often? If I go there, I would probably split after the first 12 months when I was board eligible. I have no interest in doing dermpath research for 60K a year. I am more interested in patient care via signing out 20,000 cases a year.

PathOne said:

However, while Kamino is a very good Dermpath, I personally simply has such difficulty understanding her accent that it puts a dampener on my keeness for that program.

Is there anything in medicine that the US isn't tops worldwide? I seriously doubt it.

Is Kamino an FMG?

dermpathlover said:
How many fellows do they take a year. THe pathology outlies site doesn't say? Do they take out of program fellows that often? If I go there, I would probably split after the first 12 months when I was board eligible. I have no interest in doing dermpath research for 60K a year. I am more interested in patient care via signing out 20,000 cases a year.

Programs have a problem here - many of them want to be the one that trains future academic dermpath people, so they may reject someone like you. It's weird - there is somewhat of a shortage of people who are dermpath boarded and want to signout dermpath nationwide, yet programs continue to train dermatologists (some of whom never sign out many cases after their training) and researchers (similar). I guess, as with a lot of other things, programs want the responsibility (in this case of training people who actually do signout) to fall to someone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
dermpathlover said:
OK after more research. I found out that CALI has 3 programs and NYC has 5 or 6.

Irvine doesn't have a program.

Irvine had a program but Barr retired as of this year. I strongly feel that the single best dermpath training program is Harvard, which at least in years past was a rotating fellowship through MGH, BWH as well as BID (similar to the combined Harvard Ortho and RadOnc programs). Just in terms of career planning, it **seems** that residents at UPenn do very well (I would guesstimate better than even MGH trainees) at getting one of these slots because of the "forced" year of research they all do there.

Actually, MGH still, I believe, has a pretty unique pathway: A program consisting of two years AP only and one year of Dermpath... Regardless of how you get it, HMS-DP is absolutely first-rate (at least their grads are).

PathOne said:
Actually, MGH still, I believe, has a pretty unique pathway: A program consisting of two years AP only and one year of Dermpath... Regardless of how you get it, HMS-DP is absolutely first-rate (at least their grads are).

Well I said it was a good program but lets not get carried away, regardless if you paint yourself into a corner by ONLY signing out dermpath, you are vulnerable, very vulnerable in the marketplace (Unless you are also practicing dermatology and self-refer cases!!). I dont advise it and certainly not a half-assed 2+1 program.

dermpathlover said:
Is there anything in medicine that the US isn't tops worldwide? I seriously doubt it.

That is the real reason we fought in WWII, to knock out the German's lead in Pathology...

You heard it hear first!
:smuggrin:

yaah said:
Programs have a problem here - many of them want to be the one that trains future academic dermpath people, so they may reject someone like you. It's weird - there is somewhat of a shortage of people who are dermpath boarded and want to signout dermpath nationwide, yet programs continue to train dermatologists (some of whom never sign out many cases after their training) and researchers (similar). I guess, as with a lot of other things, programs want the responsibility (in this case of training people who actually do signout) to fall to someone else.

Like everyone knows, you got to play the game and tell the MoFos what they want to hear. I'll talk the talk, but come June 1 of my first year, they will learn that "things have changed", and that I'm going to sit for my boards and have taken a high-paying dermpath only private practice gig, where I'll make the first step in carving out my own private dermpath empire.

dermpathlover said:
Like everyone knows, you got to play the game and tell the MoFos what they want to hear. I'll talk the talk, but come June 1 of my first year, they will learn that "things have changed", and that I'm going to sit for my boards and have taken a high-paying dermpath only private practice gig, where I'll make the first step in carving out my own private dermpath empire.

That is intellectually dishonest. You can't just do this and expect anyone to ever take you seriously. While it is possible to fake things, it is harder than one things. People interviewing are smart and they can sniff out those who are just saying what they want to hear. Don't forget, these people will be your colleagues for a year, will be recommending you for jobs, and are probably going to be people you go to with difficult questions after you finish.

dermpathlover said:

I get the impression that you are a real delight to work with.

yaah said:
That is intellectually dishonest. You can't just do this and expect anyone to ever take you seriously. While it is possible to fake things, it is harder than one things. People interviewing are smart and they can sniff out those who are just saying what they want to hear. Don't forget, these people will be your colleagues for a year, will be recommending you for jobs, and are probably going to be people you go to with difficult questions after you finish.

How can you explain a guy like me tho??

dermpathlover said:

I've heard that some research requiring two year dermpath programs are getting around fellows punching out after a year of diagnostics training by requiring the research year to be done first.

dermpathlover said:

Sorry to rain on your parade (well, not really), but you seem to be overlooking the fact that the Program Director must certify you before you can sit for the Dermpath Boards. No certification, no boards....

So you can't unilaterally decide that you want to fulfill only half the requirements of the program you're attending. I think you'll soon find out that Dermpath Program Directors aren't exactly naive or tools who can be pushed around...

And, on a personal note, referring to them as "MoFos" is downright rude and immature. :thumbdown:

LADoc00 said:
How can you explain a guy like me tho??

You have a narcissistic personality disorder but are sufficiently obsessive compulsive so that you can get your work done, and are sufficiently charming and easy going such that people are willing to look the other way, provided you get your own work done. You are the one that after you have completed the fellowship, they will chalk up to "couldn't have seen that one coming." I would be interested to see the caliber of candidate that they picked for fellowships after you went through. Were they bookish nerds?

;)

dermpathlover said:

Just out of curiosity, are you derm-trained or path-trained?

BigD said:

re: stanford dermpath, the above statement is correct; it's nearly impossible to nab 1 of the two slots if your path, w/o a surg path fellowship. That's just Dr. Sabina Kohler's (director) policy. BUT, if your derm, the same rule obviously doesn't apply. Seems like they/we usually take 1 dermdermpath, 1 pathdermpath per year, but no hard and fast rule. The fellowship is great though, many younger eager enthuasist attendings.

re: ackerman, i heard he did both derm and path residency...besides the dermpath fellowship. True or not, that's what i heard.

SLUsagar said:
re: stanford dermpath, the above statement is correct; it's nearly impossible to nab 1 of the two slots if your path, w/o a surg path fellowship. That's just Dr. Sabina Kohler's (director) policy. BUT, if your derm, the same rule obviously doesn't apply. Seems like they/we usually take 1 dermdermpath, 1 pathdermpath per year, but no hard and fast rule. The fellowship is great though, many younger eager enthuasist attendings..

Translation: Attendings are recent fellows you likely have never heard of.

SLUsagar said:
re: ackerman, i heard he did both derm and path residency...besides the dermpath fellowship. True or not, that's what i heard.

hmmm
A. Bernard Ackerman is Professor of Dermatology and Pathology, and Director of the Institute for Dermatopathology at Jefferson Medical College. He prepared for Princeton University at Phillips Academy, Andover. After graduating from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, he undertook residency training in dermatology at Columbia University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Harvard University. This was followed by a fellowship in dermatopathology at Harvard. Before going to Jefferson, he was on the faculties of the University of Miami and New York University.

:laugh: Love how he is listing his high school there. I went there too, but heaven help me if I list my frickin high school on my CV when I'm 70.

'tis true. Bernie trained in Dermpath in the late 60's at MGH after Derm, but never did Residency in Path. Have his cv somewhere. It runs 90 pages as far as I recall..... ;)

PathOne said:
'tis true. Bernie trained in Dermpath in the late 60's at MGH after Derm, but never did Residency in Path. Have his cv somewhere. It runs 90 pages as far as I recall..... ;)

A friend says UCLA pathology has a program but it is impossible to get into if you are not derm trained and not an inside applicant. :( :thumbdown: How can a huge city like LA only have one program?

Cali is a tough state to land in. Fortunately NYC has a lot of programs.

:laugh: :smuggrin: Nothing to see here.. move along

Awesome pic:

whatusaid.jpg

completely random.

LADoc00 said:
Awesome pic:

whatusaid.jpg

completely random.

I don't get it. What does this have to do with UCLA being the only dermpath program in SO CAL.

Do you have experience with it? If one does away rotation there, is there any chance to get a spot?????