NYC Community Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praying mantis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I am so happy to have finished with my last interview! Does anyone have any information (personal or through the grapevine) about any of the NYC community programs. Specifically, I am wondering about Beth Israel, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, and Lenox Hill.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

what, no love for little NYC programs? :)

I really liked Beth Israel and StLukes-Roos. Didn't prefer Lenox Hill though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Community! Any reason you didn't like Lenox Hill?

St. Lukes-Roosevelt - It seems as though St. Lukes has the best reputation, but many of the residents told me that they are only 80 hours on paper and often go way over. Also, second and third years get only 3-5 weekends off per year. But experience seems great.

Lenox Hill - Cons are the size of the program (3 residents/yr). There seem to be mostly FMGs. But I got the best overall feel from this program. Very high surgical numbers and great surgical training. Although there are a lot of private patients, the residents say they get to manage all of them.

Beth Israel - The residents and attendings seemed very nice and happy. Word on the streets is that this program is not as highly regarded as the others. But who knows where that gossip comes from...

Anyone have anything to add??

I did an away rotation at St. Luke's-Roosevelt...the residents seemed pretty happy and got along pretty well. They didn't seem particularly overworked, although I didn't count how many hours I was at the hospital/week. I didn't bother to understand the specifics of their call schedule during the rotation, but from my interview day, I also got the sense that they don't get many weekends off.
Word on the NYC streets is that Beth Israel is definitely not as highly regarded as St. Luke's-Roosevelt.
Don't know anything about Lenox Hill.