NYC Ophtho Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ophms

birdman
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm a medical student who would like to do residency in NYC.

1. It seems like the most highly regarded programs in the area are New York Eye and Ear, NYU/MEETH, and Columbia. Does anyone know of pros/cons for any of these programs?

2. Are there any other programs in the area that could land someone a competitive fellowship? I'm thinking about places like Cornell, Mount Sinai, North Shore-LIJ, Downstate-Brooklyn, and UMDNJ.

3. If I want to end up practicing in the new york area, is it in my best interests to do residency at a new york program? How about a middle-tier new york program vs. a top-20 program elsewhere? What's a bigger determinant of where one practices- location of residency or location of fellowship?

Thanks in advance. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum! I think if you want to end up practicing in NY or anywhere, your best bet is to graduate from a strong residency program, regardless of location, that will provide you with the best surgical and medical experience. Graduates of the top programs are highly recruited.

Good luck! :D

Andrew_Doan said:
Welcome to the forum! I think if you want to end up practicing in NY or anywhere, your best bet is to graduate from a strong residency program, regardless of location, that will provide you with the best surgical and medical experience. Graduates of the top programs are highly recruited.

Good luck! :D

If you're interested in a program, in a specific region or city like NYC, would you suggest writing an email or calling the program and expressing your interest early on? Or would you cross your fingers, wait for an interview, and then send an email or call or even drop by to express interest?

Thanks

Yoshimi79 said:
If you're interested in a program, in a specific region or city like NYC, would you suggest writing an email or calling the program and expressing your interest early on? Or would you cross your fingers, wait for an interview, and then send an email or call or even drop by to express interest?

Thanks

Calls and emails from applicants don't help.

Calls and emails from faculty with connections help.