NYC Post-bacc programs - advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haqiqa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All - I am trying to figure out where to start a post-bacc program this fall - Has anyone here attended NYU, Columbia, Hunter, or City College's post-bacc programs? What was your experience? Also, if you attended Columbia or NYU, is it worth the exorbitant cost?

I am looking for a program where I will get supportive advisors and structure...but I am going to have a really hard time justifying the debt I would incur if I were to go to Columbia. Man!

Members don't see this ad.

Check previous threads because people have talked about their experience. I did the City College one and loved it. I would say to look into the Hunter program because the advisor from City College moved there and she's the best... her name is Lolita Woodhill and she will get you into medical school. Any specific questions....PM me.
Haqiqa said:
Hey All - I am trying to figure out where to start a post-bacc program this fall - Has anyone here attended NYU, Columbia, Hunter, or City College's post-bacc programs? What was your experience? Also, if you attended Columbia or NYU, is it worth the exorbitant cost?

I am looking for a program where I will get supportive advisors and structure...but I am going to have a really hard time justifying the debt I would incur if I were to go to Columbia. Man!

Members don't see this ad :)
most have passed, usualyl their deadlines are somewhere arond June or May. Some have theirs in mid July. but im sure there are a few around

yes, the post-bacc deadlines have passed. All of the programs i listed in the nyc area take students for spring however, and i believe accept students on a rolling basis.

So I just found out that I was admitted to the Columbia program and I am trying to make a decision as to where to attend this fall. I have also been admitted to the USC program. Can anyone share any experiences with Columbia, and/or offer any insight into their opinion of what school might be better?

I have been accepted to NYU's and Hunter's Program and I chose NYU, but it seems that NYU is just a mess when it comes to administrative tasks. I start classes in the fall, but I wonder if the cost of NYU and living in NYC is worth it at this point. Any thoughts?

Haqiqa said:

isnt nyu one of the programs with a linkage agreement with some medical schools (i.e. do well in the post bacc and your are granted admission)?

J

vance353 said:
I have been accepted to NYU's and Hunter's Program and I chose NYU, but it seems that NYU is just a mess when it comes to administrative tasks. I start classes in the fall, but I wonder if the cost of NYU and living in NYC is worth it at this point. Any thoughts?

I attended NYU as an undergrad, although not in the college of arts and sciences. Overall, it was a pretty good experience, although I have my reservations about certain things. Being a student in New York City can be a pretty amazing experience, but it is incredibly expensive, and the reality is that between school, housing and other expenses you are unlikely to have much left over to lead the New York lifestyle.

The big plus of going to school in NYC is the amount of opportunities the location can offer, in terms of volunteer, research, etc. In terms of making the experience more cost effective, consider living outside of Manhattan. I don't know whether or not oncampus housing is available to postbac students but, either way, while many of the dorms are decent and many are in good locations, you can probably get more for your money by finding your own housing. The majority of my friends who attended NYU reached this same conclusion, and ended up living either in Brooklyn or Queens. Toward the end of my senior year I moved to Queens (Forest Hills, to be exact). I consider this one of my better decisions, as I think the low cost definitely balances out the need to commute. Not only do you get more for your money outside of Manhattan, but you're more likely to find something at all.

I hope this helps