NYC Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airshad8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see this happening for PA schools so I figured I'd copy. Majority of the schools I applied to are in the NYC area. What do you guys think about the ranking of these schools. I mean granted USNWR has an established rank, but as we all know it's hardly applicable.

Those of you who are in NYC schools or applying or have interviewed, etc. Share your thoughts please. List of the schools:

Wiell (Cornell)
Columbia PnS
NYU
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein
SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
NYMC

Personally I don't know how NYU/Mount Sinai or AE compare. Similarly, I am not sure about PnS and Cornell.

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia PnS
Wiell (Cornell)
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
NYMC

Columbia PnS
Wiell (Cornell)
Mount Sinai
Albert Einstein
NYU
SUNY Downstate-Brooklyn
NYMC

I see you've been accepted to Mt Sinai, Lankan. Any comments or thoughts about the school when you visited?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your experience will be very different at each of these schools. If you are looking for something beyond US News rankings consider the environment. In other words, look at the hospitals each is affiliated with, look at the physicial facilities, look at the location, etc.

My own biased opinion is that NYU is the best NYC choice with Bellevue, the brand new Smilow research center, and a location at 30th and 1st. Other students will have different priorities.

A lot of these schools are affiliated to some degree, some more than others.

For example, Mount Sinai is officially The Mount Sinai School of Medicine of the New York University... doesn't mean all that much, but there is a lot of freedom in rotations at the various affiliated hospitals, plus the Morchand Center at Sinai (for simulated patient interaction) is used by pretty much all the New York schools.

I haven't been at all involved with any of the schools except Sinai, so don't take these 2 cents comparatively... but:

1. Love the location; 5th and 100th. The hospital is literally across the street from the East Meadows, and a few blocks from the reservoir. Runner's / cyclist's paradise, and very pretty. Sure, it's on the edge of Spanish Harlem, but talk about patient diversity.

2. The physical plant itself is gorgous - I.M. Pei designed the main pavillion, and they're in the process of redoing all the medical school floors.

3. Everyone I met seemed genuinely passionate about practicing medicine, for what I would consider the "right" reasons - advancing humanity, through social justice and scientific innovation.

4. Did I mention Central Park? :laugh:

Columbia = Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
AECOM
SUNY Downstate
NYMC

Now to throw in some tristate area schools

Columbia = Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
AECOM
Stony Brook
RWJMS
SUNY Downstate
NJMS
NYMC

Again just my opinion

Like someone said before, each school seems to cater to a different crowd. I've interviewed at Cornell and NYU, so I'll weigh in on those two.

Cornell - small class size, diversity, lots of cohesion among them, great facilities, centrally located, emphasis on international health, problem-based learning, great faculty-student interaction

NYU - larger class size with less diversity, Bellevue is a great hospital for experience and patient diversity, plenty of research opportunities, more laid back, location is great as well, more lecture based curriculum (and independent learning)

Both were great schools though :D

I submitted my Mt. Sinai secondary late, so hopefully I'll be able to chime in on that later :oops:

Weill
Columbia
AECOM
Mount Sinai
Stony Brook (almost NYC)
NYU

interesting ranking, care to explain your reasoning?

I presume your query is directed at my low estimation of NYU. I must admit a potentially skewing bias. I have interviewed at all the above schools except NYU, and thus do not have first hand experience there. However, I do know a couple M1s. And from what they've told me, the academic atmosphere is somewhat oppressive. What I mean by that is that the school and administration is obsessed with ranking and they push the students to work hard (not a bad thing) to the point of fomenting competition and killing themselves (figuratively speaking, of course, but nonetheless unappealing).

At Cornell and Columbia especially, but at the others listed also, I know that the students are encouraged to enjoy themselves, collaborate, and to some degree continue to live life in med school. Lifestyle is more important to me than being a doctor. You only get one life, but you could have many careers. And one's twenties don't last forever (only ten cycles of the earth around the sun, actually).

I'm open to other interpretations of NYU, though, if you know differently.

And if you were referring to something other than NYU, I would be happy to clarify any other part of my order.

Why AECOM over Sinai?

That's a tough one and I could really go either way on it. I haven't heard back from either yet so that could color my feelings.

It would be cool to actually live in the city (in Manhattan, I mean) and both have good debt control, but I just had a great interview day at AECOM. Plus, I am deeply interested in going abroad and I felt that AECOM was more conducive to such a desire, financially and otherwise.

I'm open to other interpretations of NYU, though, if you know differently.

NYU was really what I was asking about; personally I would rank Cornell the highest, I loved it when I went. I have heard about problems with the administration, perhaps Dakota or another NYU student can give his opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your experience will be very different at each of these schools. If you are looking for something beyond US News rankings consider the environment. In other words, look at the hospitals each is affiliated with, look at the physicial facilities, look at the location, etc.

My own biased opinion is that NYU is the best NYC choice with Bellevue, the brand new Smilow research center, and a location at 30th and 1st. Other students will have different priorities.

hooooly, this guy speaks whats on my mind
ya, they have a new kick ass center, and its' just SOOOO damn close to all the places where i work and hang out

4. Did I mention Central Park? :laugh:

central park is overrated :(
i live right across from the park but im afraid to go jogging there, i get lost so easily in the park >_<

NYU was really what I was asking about; personally I would rank Cornell the highest, I loved it when I went. I have heard about problems with the administration, perhaps Dakota or another NYU student can give his opinion.

I heard some bad stuff a looong time ago, but nothing concrete at all. So yeah, I'd like some more details about this too.

I'm not sure who has a problem with the NYU admin . . . we had a finaid lady for a few years who was terrible, but she just got fired at the beginning of the term, someone much better has taken her position. Other than that I've never heard any complaints about administration. I do wish we had a few less class hours during the week, but anyway, back on topic.

I try to be straight up with people and give them a realistic idea of what things are like here. No reason to attract a person based on dishonesty and have them come here and not like it. As an interviewee I always appreciated honesty from students.

Our anatomy course director (Dr. Bogart) has told us on multiple occassion that this is a pass fail course. Grades are immaterial. There is no ranking (based on anatomy performance, I've heard our biochem, genetic, moly bio course has a slight contributuion to AOA, which isn't even awarded until well into 4th year, too late for most residency apps and the pass fail nature is also very much emphasized, no grades for MSI and MSII, and an honors/P/F system for MSIII). The faculty have emphasized that it is important that we learn what is important to us and what we think we need to know to be a good physician. Under those constraints passing is no problem. There are some intense people around and a lot of work is necessary to reach the passing standard, but no one I know of cares how they are doing in comparison with other students. It's all about doing ones personal best.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about NYU feel free to shoot me a PM. I try to check the pre-allo boards for subjects I can be of help with, but don't do so religously. As always, straight up answers guaranteed.

Weill
Columbia
AECOM
Mount Sinai
Stony Brook (almost NYC)
NYU

Very intersting list. I do have to dispute Stony Brook as almost NYC, its a pretty good ways outside the city, even further than the New Jersey schools.

Cornell
Columbia
Mount Sinai
NYU
AECOM
Stony Brook
NYMC
SUNY Downstate

Hey Guys,

I haven't been to this site in what feels like forever (since I made a decision on which med school to attend), but I'm a current M1 here at NYU and just wanted to put in my two cents.

I just wanted to comment on NYU's "oppressiveness." I'm not sure who your M1 sources are, and I know I'm just 1 guy, but really, it's the complete opposite of this. I would venture to guess that we play and party more than those at any other school I've visited (which is about 7 or 8). That's not to say we don't do workhard, but we surely do have a good time every weekend, and sometimes during the week as well.

Tonight for example, half of our class is at a bar drinking and making bids at a date auction. Two nights before our head and neck exam last week (which is probably our most difficult of the year), I stayed out until 2 am at a rock show on the West Side. I mean, we're in what is by far the best location in Manhattan, so there are plenty of good times to be had.

The first review session we had, one of our professors talked to us about how we're young and in New York City, and that we should just figure out how much time we need to devote to pass the exams and then use the rest to explore what the city has to offer. Most of our professors have similar laid-back attitudes, which is not to say that they don't still do a good job teaching us.

NYU isn't all peaches and cream (no school is), but I just wanted to clarify that it's not like jail either. If you have any further q's, feel free to msg me.

Cornell
Columbia
Mount Sinai
NYU
AECOM
Stony Brook
NYMC
SUNY Downstate

I like this list. I think NYMC and Downstate can be interchanged based on personal preference (i.e. quiet serene campus vs. bustling flatbush), and ofcourse Downstate's in-state tuition. Amazing how they're both good schools but the other schools are just that much better. NY is freakin tough.

I like this list. I think NYMC and Downstate can be interchanged based on personal preference (i.e. quiet serene campus vs. bustling flatbush), and ofcourse Downstate's in-state tuition. Amazing how they're both good schools but the other schools are just that much better. NY is freakin tough.
Thanks everyone for your input. I wish I was given a chance to send in my NYU secondary but since i applied relatively late (even though their deadline is 11/15), and since they finish up with interviews around December, I couldn't. Just hope it works out for me at one of these other NYC schools. I am not an NY state resident, so applying to the SUNY didn't make much sense. Banking on the others though...

Very intersting list. I do have to dispute Stony Brook as almost NYC, its a pretty good ways outside the city, even further than the New Jersey schools.

I would say that the distance between NYC and New Jersey involves more than geography; Stony Brook is NYC at heart.

There are some intense people around and a lot of work is necessary to reach the passing standard, but no one I know of cares how they are doing in comparison with other students. It's all about doing ones personal best.

I appreciate the insight. Perhaps it is just that NYU is more demanding in relative terms. When I was at Weill I was surprised by how committed the students were to selling the schools as better than any other; they exhibited zeal I have not seen at any other school (I've seen twelve so far, so I have some means for comparison).

Moreover, one comment by an M1 at Weill stuck out to me. She said: "At your other interviews, ask people what they did the night before [this was a weekday]. That will be revealing. What did I do last night? I watched TV for a couple of hours." Now, take that for what you will. I've been mulling it over in my mind ever since. I rarely watch TV (NFL and 60 minutes aside) and I wouldn't advocate it for anyone, but I think what she was trying to say is that whatever system they have going for them at Weill works such that students can do the work and live a life. Weill's board scores don't suffer, and yet their students don't stress and take anti-depressants like at some other places. What gives then? If everyone has the same goal of becoming a qualified physician and passing the boards, why would you kill yourself when you don't have to?

Perhaps I received misinformation about NYU, but it's also possible that it is more intense that the other (high performance) schools in the city. To each his own, but I like to live a full life if I can help it.

the impression i got at NYU when i interviewed there is that most students have a ton of fun. they seem to go out every weekend. the administration seems to encourage life outside of school, providing tickets for museums/shows etc.
im surprised that u've heard otherwise.

Despite the fact that Columbia has student clubs, I'm not sure the student life there is particularly good. I heard from one student there that he wishes he had gone to a state school or a less competitive school like his sister did because she has time to party and he doesn't. He said med school completely changed him because of its scheduling and other demands and talked about not having enough time to sleep. He said that because the med students there were mostly at the top of their pre-med classes, that its really difficult just to be in the middle. I don't know I may have just been talking to someone particularly negative and maybe he would have been negative about any school he went to but it didn't make me feel good about going there. He said he wanted to be an eye surgeon (which apparently makes a lot of money) so I guess this is a guy who's not happy unless he's doing the most competitive thing and then he's still not happy.
True when he walked into my large dorm room/apartment (he was in his 4th year and finally had time and was working with my roommate on something) he said wow this is so small. Our places are so much bigger. I was like well you are a grad student and you do live much farther uptown in noman's land. I did get the feeling like he liked to say negative things in general.

Despite the fact that Columbia has student clubs, I'm not sure the student life there is particularly good. I heard from one student there that he wishes he had gone to a state school or a less competitive school like his sister did because she has time to party and he doesn't. He said med school completely changed him because of its scheduling and other demands and talked about not having enough time to sleep. He said that because the med students there were mostly at the top of their pre-med classes, that its really difficult just to be in the middle. I don't know I may have just been talking to someone particularly negative and maybe he would have been negative about any school he went to but it didn't make me feel good about going there. He said he wanted to be an eye surgeon (which apparently makes a lot of money) so I guess this is a guy who's not happy unless he's doing the most competitive thing and then he's still not happy.
True when he walked into my large dorm room/apartment (he was in his 4th year and finally had time and was working with my roommate on something) he said wow this is so small. Our places are so much bigger. I was like well you are a grad student and you do live much farther uptown in noman's land. I did get the feeling like he liked to say negative things in general.

PnS seems pretty hard-core from M1s I've had the chance to talk to also. I already sleep very little, and have what I'd hardly call 'a life'. I am kinda done with sleeping 2 hours a night and popping caffeine gum all the time, I really look to medical school to gain my life back. At this point I just want to get into a school based on locale, and not it's ranking or competitiveness. SO done with that noise.

PnS seems pretty hard-core from M1s I've had the chance to talk to also. I already sleep very little, and have what I'd hardly call 'a life'. I am kinda done with sleeping 2 hours a night and popping caffeine gum all the time, I really look to medical school to gain my life back. At this point I just want to get into a school based on locale, and not it's ranking or competitiveness. SO done with that noise.

Airshad8,

Whoa, good luck with that!!!

But seriously, have you thought about deferring for a year? You sound like you need a break.

I interviewed at 13 schools, so got a chance to compare many schools as well, however I have only attended one medical school (as will be the case with many students).

What did I do last night? (A week night)

I went to a date auction at bar 515. There were approximately 200 MSI's and II's there drinking a bidding on our fellow med students. What did I do the night before that? Spent 2 hours playing Halo 2 on Xbox 360.

What did I do the week before our head and neck exam? Studied my butt off.

Maybe Cornell has a magic formula where you don't have to work hard. If that's the case I'd recommend you go there. However, I doubt it.

When I was interviewing at med schools last year my tour guides described NYU as a party med school. This actually turned me off a little bit as typically the bar scene doesn't do it for me and I'm going to med school to, you know learn. This comment was, however, so prevalent during tours that the admissions office had to ask students to stop making comments like that during the tours because it had an air of unprofessionalism. Take that for what you will.

Ultimately, if you don't like NYU, don't come here. Just make sure it's for the right reasons.

Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Sinai
AECOM
Downstate
NYMC

I would say that the distance between NYC and New Jersey involves more than geography; Stony Brook is NYC at heart.

Don't want to harp on this too much, but having been out to Stony Brook and having lived in New Jersey (15 minutes from NYC) all my life I can say this really isn't the case. Stony Brook is very much suburban and a very long trip into the city, especially by public transportation. The demographics are also considerably different than NYC. By bringing up the New Jersey schools I was just making a point about the distance, I wouldn't consider the NJ schools NYC at heart either. I would add my own list but I don't think my perception of the NYC schools is any different than the USNWR rankings, besides what do any of us really know anyway.

I agree, I've lived on LI my whole life and Stony Brook is nothing like NYC. If you want an urban environment and to get experience in a city hospital, Stony Brook is not the place to go. It's clinical affiliates where med students go on rotations are all LI suburban hospitals. Although I think it is a great school in a quaint area of LI, I wouldn't consider location an asset because I want to do rotations in a city hospital.

Mt. Sinai is in a bit of financial trouble after their divorce from NYU... don't know how that will trickle down into their education but it probably doesn't help.

Cornell, NYU, and AECOM have or are close to adding significant new spaces to their campuses... this will increase their research funding and attract new faculty. My guess is that Cornell will slowly creep into the top 5 of USNews Rankings and NYU and AECOM will make it to the top 20 within the next 5-10 years.

SUNY schools have great reputations within the medical community of training good primary care physicians.

Don't want to harp on this too much, but having been out to Stony Brook and having lived in New Jersey (15 minutes from NYC) all my life I can say this really isn't the case. Stony Brook is very much suburban and a very long trip into the city, especially by public transportation. The demographics are also considerably different than NYC. By bringing up the New Jersey schools I was just making a point about the distance, I wouldn't consider the NJ schools NYC at heart either. I would add my own list but I don't think my perception of the NYC schools is any different than the USNWR rankings, besides what do any of us really know anyway.

Shucks, I was just messin'.

Maybe Cornell has a magic formula where you don't have to work hard. If that's the case I'd recommend you go there. However, I doubt it.

I can't speak for accuracy, but that was the student's point.

Mt. Sinai is in a bit of financial trouble after their divorce from NYU... don't know how that will trickle down into their education but it probably doesn't help.

Cornell, NYU, and AECOM have or are close to adding significant new spaces to their campuses... this will increase their research funding and attract new faculty. My guess is that Cornell will slowly creep into the top 5 of USNews Rankings and NYU and AECOM will make it to the top 20 within the next 5-10 years.

SUNY schools have great reputations within the medical community of training good primary care physicians.

Where did you hear that Mount Sinai was in financial trouble?

Am I the only other person here besides Towelie who thinks this?

Columbia is by far the most prestigious (and I don't just mean because of USNews). It has the most name recognition and attracts the best researchers, and I'm sure all the most competitive residencies look there first for their matches. I'm also sure that students there have to work a bit harder, as its the most competitive to get into and they have grades. So for quality of life, competition and Washington Heights aren't great, but the Columbia name, resources, and the institution itself still make it the top NYC med school.

Cornell is probably on the way up, but it's not quite up to par with Columbia. It does however have a better location and a better quality of life for its students, all while still having great resources, research, and facilities. Sloan Kettering and Rockefeller, need I say more?

After Columbia and Cornell, the order gets a little tougher, but here are my thoughts on the next batch (and my order)...

NYU: Tied for best location with Cornell, tons of money thanks to the undergrad campus, and the students seem nice and happy.

Mt. Sinai: Pretty much equal in rep with NYU, money problems, a little bit further north than you'd want to be that far east.

Albert Einstein: The Bronx is meant for Yankees games, not medical school.

As for the others, I can't really say, but I'd probably put it this way...

SUNY Downstate (since it's still in NYC)
SUNY Stonybrook
NYMC
SUNY Buffalo

i agree. i would say cornell = columbia, just depends on your priorities and preferences

also, i would say AECOM and MSSM are close. i hear great things aboutAECOM, but i've also heard that MSSM is amazing.

ms2 at nyu

my ranking:

Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Sinai
AECOM
Downstate
NYMC

some nyu tidbits that come to mind:

-younger class so the frat like partying is true
-most classes are taught really well, except any module that involves kerry W.
-gym is cheap but looks cheap. open 24/7 and in the basement of the dorm
-exams are pretty ez with occasional ******ed questions
-not much diversity; mostly rich white jewish kids; fair share of weird oddball types
-pass/fail but they keep track of the top 40 kids on every module for AOA purposes
-average step 1 score: 227 (official word)
-ms1s are pretty gunnerish this year - seems to be an increasing trend
-girls look ok - but just walking around locally you'll see far better
-most guys are single, most girls are taken - creates an interesting dynamic
-most kids here have atleast a parent a doctor - just something i noticed, guess they like that (my parents aren't)

ms2 at nyu

my ranking:

Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Sinai
AECOM
Downstate
NYMC

some nyu tidbits that come to mind:

-younger class so the frat like partying is true
-gym is cheap but looks cheap. open 24/7 and in the basement of the dorm
-exams are pretty ez with occasional ******ed questions
-not much diversity; mostly rich white jewish kids; fair share of weird oddball types
-pass/fail but they keep track of the top 40 kids on every module for AOA purposes
-average step 1 score: 227 (official word)
-girls look ok - but just walking around locally you'll see far better
-most guys are single, most girls are taken - creates an interesting dynamic
-most kids here have atleast a parent a doctor - just something i noticed, guess they like that (my parents aren't)

Now THIS is the sort of candor that MSAR doesn't give you.

I work in the healthcare consulting industry.

What does that mean for someone going to Mount Sinai this coming year? Less fin aid? Or is this financial trouble something that will only have effect like ten years down the line?

The deficit was in the low 1 millions if I remmeber correctly. This won't break the back of a large hospital like Mt. Sinai. In fact, they were not recommended to close or merge like many other hospitals in NY state were. But with that said, I don't doubt that there will be some form of trickle down effect. It becomes hard for the hospital to build new facilities and it also forces the hospital to close or trim down departments that are not lucrative, which limits the scope of the patients you will see. I imagine top researchers will also wnat to stay away, which might cause the Hospital to lose grant money, which will make them slip in the rankings. I know that when my company consulted for Mt. Sinai, they recommended reducing compensation for doctors and shortening their teaching hours... whether or not that actually happened I don't know. Most effects, if any at all will be long term effects, and with several hospitals closing / consolidating in the NYC area, Mt. Sinai and other hospitals should have more bargaining power with MCOs to negotiate better rates and temporarily raise their revenues. And I am sure there are tons of people working to figure out a way to make them profitable again in the future. Keep in mind top notch schools like Upenn also went through periods of unprofitability and remained very very competetive. Take all this for what you will... and maybe someone who attends mt.sinai can chime in and let us know if they've been noticing any cutbacks in education.

These were the impressions I had gotten as discussed in my earlier comments.

I feel like everyone has Columbia and Cornell at the top, NYMC at the bottom, and the other three in a jumble - especially NYU seems like it could be just about anywhere.

Does the reputation of NYU vary that much or something? I've always wondered why NYU wasn't ranked higher. I would have figured it would get major points for Bellevue.

Does the reputation of NYU vary that much or something? I've always wondered why NYU wasn't ranked higher. I would have figured it would get major points for Bellevue.

US News Research rankings probably didn't have NYU higher because of weak(er) research, however with the new Smilow Research Center I'm sure that NYU's rankings are set to go up

something else to consider, NYU's hospitals are generally in the top 3 in NYC, here's an interesting link

http://nymag.com/health/besthospitals/24095/index4.html

In regards to the diversity question at NYU, I met with one of their diversity affairs reps (I'm not URM, but South American). She explained to me that NYU is at the national average for diversity, but that they were actively trying to change this. She said that they want to boost their diversity to be more reflective of NYC's population.

This has been very helpful but I noticed that all the NY schools have been mentioned except for SUNY upstate. Is it just THAT BAD? Also, what is AECOM?
Thanks for the insight into NYU, although I have no chance of getting in at all, now I just regret it even more than before. :(

This has been very helpful but I noticed that all the NY schools have been mentioned except for SUNY upstate. Is it just THAT BAD? Also, what is AECOM?
Thanks for the insight into NYU, although I have no chance of getting in at all, now I just regret it even more than before. :(

Well, this thread is "NYC schools," the C meaning city, and Upstate is in Syracuse NY. But yes, some people mentioned Buffalo and Stonybrook also so Upstate should definitely be in the mix.

And AECOM is Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx.

I just have a general question. why do people rank NYMC worse than SUNY downstate? In what ways are SUNY downstate better out of curiosity?

I just have a general question. why do people rank NYMC worse than SUNY downstate? In what ways are SUNY downstate better out of curiosity?

I think Downstate has a higher matriculant GPA and MCAT, which is 1 way I judge schools.. Another is tuition (for NY residents like myself, Downstate is ridiculously cheap < 19k/yr while NYMC almost 40k). And also, Downstate is in Brooklyn so very good clinical exposure. NYMC on the other hand is in a quiet Valhalla, but it's teaching hospital is also very well known for serving a diverse population. In addition, I hear NYMC's facilities are much nicer than Downstate's. I think it really comes down to personal preference. As of right now, I will be attending NYMC and am very happy with it, but I am also excited to see what Downstate's about at my interview coming up.

Am I the only other person here besides Towelie who thinks this?

Columbia is by far the most prestigious (and I don't just mean because of USNews). It has the most name recognition and attracts the best researchers, and I'm sure all the most competitive residencies look there first for their matches. I'm also sure that students there have to work a bit harder, as its the most competitive to get into and they have grades. So for quality of life, competition and Washington Heights aren't great, but the Columbia name, resources, and the institution itself still make it the top NYC med school.

Cornell is probably on the way up, but it's not quite up to par with Columbia. It does however have a better location and a better quality of life for its students, all while still having great resources, research, and facilities. Sloan Kettering and Rockefeller, need I say more?

After Columbia and Cornell, the order gets a little tougher, but here are my thoughts on the next batch (and my order)...

NYU: Tied for best location with Cornell, tons of money thanks to the undergrad campus, and the students seem nice and happy.

Mt. Sinai: Pretty much equal in rep with NYU, money problems, a little bit further north than you'd want to be that far east.

Albert Einstein: The Bronx is meant for Yankees games, not medical school.

As for the others, I can't really say, but I'd probably put it this way...

SUNY Downstate (since it's still in NYC)
SUNY Stonybrook
NYMC
SUNY Buffalo

Since you are mentioning schools outside of NYC, where you would you rank SUNY Upstate in that bunch? It's the second oldest school in the country and like the other SUNY's I think is well-respected in the medical community.