NYC Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajilli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm choosing between NYU, Columbia, and SUNY Downstate.

All three look like excellent programs. I know the differences in terms of money (NYU by far the most $) and location (Downstate the most inconvenient) and I've read all of their online info, but I'm still unsure. I have spoken to some grads of each program and no one has been able to give me any solid advice.

Can anyone from one of the aforementioned schools tell me the best and worst things about their program? OR, if you are in a completely different school, what are some things about your program that you think are essential to a great OT school? What are some things to be wary of?

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think SUNY Downstate is worth more in terms of value for the money. I was told by a practicing OT (who attended NYU) that while she did like it there, it was not as clinically-based as Downstate.

I have not heard much about Columbia.

Have you heard back from any of these schools?

I don't know about Downstate, but in comparing NYU and columbia, I would just choose the cheaper one since both are very good schools with strong programs. I heard that Columbia is more mental health oriented tho, if that helps you make a decision. Another thing I like about columbia is that they have an established part time program if you're considering that.

I haven't heard back from NYU but I got accepted into Columbia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted to both Downstate and Columbia, and have decided on Downstate. Both have great programs, but (for in-state students) my entire education at Downstate will be cheaper than a year at Columbia. I've met a few Downstate grads while I was shadowing OTs, all who loved the program and spoke extremely well of it. Columbia seems great and is ivy, but the only real reason I was considering it was because, well, it's COLUMBIA!

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Thrilled to be accepted to both schools, not sure which direction to go in. Columbia was my first choice because of what I mentioned before, and of course the name, and the duration of the program (2 years flat).
Have either of you tried to sit in on a class? I went to info sessions for all three schools last year but didn't learn anything that would help make my decision easier.

Is anyone on here a Columbia student or alumna?

Thanks again for your comments.

OK heres the deal....
Im a student at SUNY downstate and I can tell you one thing. If you plan to go to Columbia be prepared to pay off 80,00 to 100,00 in loans. Whether its Downstate or Columbia you get the same instruction where ever you go in OT schools. you just have different professors and different classes but at the end of the day you learn the same stuff. Im not saying this because Im attending Downstate but Downstate has a better reputation in the OT world. So your really getting your Money's worth. So if were accepted to both Columbia and Downstate I would say go for downstate. Its cheaper. its clinically based like Columbia. Its affiliated to a Hospital like Columbia so theres really no difference. Except the prestige of saying you are a Columbia Grad. Trust me no one will ask where you graduated from when you apply for a Job.

Also, I just want to point out that NYU is really more toward psychosocial. Its not really clincally based. expensive but many of my professors graduated from NYU they are pretty good.
So I Hope that helps feel free to Pm me if you have any questions.

Cadueus, does columbia have a bad reputation in the OT world? I'm not sure what to make of and decide when it comes to picking an OT school. Thanks!

Cadueus, does columbia have a bad reputation in the OT world? I'm not sure what to make of and decide when it comes to picking an OT school. Thanks!
Hi chimpmunk
Im not going to say that columbia has a bad reputation in the OT world. An OT that I know that went to columbia said that she would have rather went to a cheaper school and the instruction was not that great over there. That all I know. Im trying to make a point that nobody really cares where you graduated from as an OT. It really comes down to experience. So for what its worth you can go to columbia and get all expenses paid by the board of education and work for the BOE for three years after you graduate. that is if you want to do pediatrics. Wish you the very best of luck. Where ever you decide to go.

So for what its worth you can go to columbia and get all expenses paid by the board of education and work for the BOE for three years after you graduate. that is if you want to do pediatrics.

I wish Maryland did that! I do want to do pediatrics, particularly school-based, so that sounds like a great deal to me.

Caduceus, thanks so much for the info. I am getting the sense that OT is a lot like nursing, in the fact that it doesnt matter where you go to school.

Now I'm wondering, what if someone is looking for opportunities that exist beyond the usual OT work? Do you know anyone that does that? Because in those instances (like consulting), it will matter where one went to school. I'm not saying I'm going to OT school to get into consulting since that would be a strange windy path, BUT I think that one day it's something I might want to look into, or other work that an OT background might have an advantage. I'm just the kind of person that likes to have doors open to see what is out there and I'm not looking to practice OT for the next 40 years because like many people, I will probably want to do something different later on in life. I mean, OT is such a diverse and interesting field with so many different applications (at least that's what schools try to tell us :rolleyes:). So I'm wondering, do you have any insight or know of anyone doing something out of the ordinary?

Thanks!

Hi there! It's my first time on here so I apologize if I've messaged you twice. I am a future OT student. I have been accepted to Downstate, Columbia, and Seton Hall. ANY insight is appreciated. I am torn between Downstate and Columbia? I've heard the amazing reputation of Downstate but the ivy league credibility is tempting of Columbia. If you could offer any advice I would appreciate it. I appreciate getting into these amazing programs and want to choose the best one! Thank you in advance!

"OK heres the deal....
Im a student at SUNY downstate and I can tell you one thing. If you plan to go to Columbia be prepared to pay off 80,00 to 100,00 in loans. Whether its Downstate or Columbia you get the same instruction where ever you go in OT schools. you just have different professors and different classes but at the end of the day you learn the same stuff. Im not saying this because Im attending Downstate but Downstate has a better reputation in the OT world. So your really getting your Money's worth. So if were accepted to both Columbia and Downstate I would say go for downstate. Its cheaper. its clinically based like Columbia. Its affiliated to a Hospital like Columbia so theres really no difference. Except the prestige of saying you are a Columbia Grad. Trust me no one will ask where you graduated from when you apply for a Job.

Also, I just want to point out that NYU is really more toward psychosocial. Its not really clincally based. expensive but many of my professors graduated from NYU they are pretty good.
So I Hope that helps feel free to Pm me if you have any questions."

Hi there! It's my first time on here so I apologize if I've messaged you twice. I am a future OT student. I have been accepted to Downstate, Columbia, and Seton Hall. ANY insight is appreciated. I am torn between Downstate and Columbia? I've heard the amazing reputation of Downstate but the ivy league credibility is tempting of Columbia. If you could offer any advice I would appreciate it. I appreciate getting into these amazing programs and want to choose the best one! Thank you in advance!

"OK heres the deal....

So I Hope that helps feel free to Pm me if you have any questions."
Just stumbled on this post and wanted to give my input. I was also recently accepted to Columbia and have decided to attend. I do not know too much about Downstate although I'm sure its a good program. I do know people that went to Columbia who said the program did an excellent job at preparing them to be an OT and that the professors are phenomenal. However, the decision is ultimately your own. Good luck in whatever you decide!