NYC Transitional/Prelims (Flushing vs. Sound Shore)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyFrenetic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in staying in NYC for either a prelim or TY before starting radiology. I've been on a few and they've all started to blend in my mind. Can anyone tell me what their thoughts are on the NYC transitionals and prelims, specifically Flushing TY vs. Sound Shore TY vs. SUNY downstate prelim vs. Westchester prelim. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in staying in NYC for either a prelim or TY before starting radiology. I've been on a few and they've all started to blend in my mind. Can anyone tell me what their thoughts are on the NYC transitionals and prelims, specifically Flushing TY vs. Sound Shore TY vs. SUNY downstate prelim vs. Westchester prelim. Thanks!

I know nothing about the TYs but you are going to get worked at the Downstate and WMC prelim programs, at least while on-service. If there are decent amounts of electives there it's probably worth considering, but neither of those two places are going to be a walk in the park. Also...Downstate may be in the worst neighborhood of any hospital in NYC...even Bronx Lebanon is in a better part of town.