• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

clement

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hello to all,
I've been accepted 2 schools in Northern CA and NYC respectively (both Touros)...
Was hoping someone with insight (i.e. current student or resident) could help me weigh the pros and cons of rotating and/ or practicing medicine in either area (long run).

I think NYC would give me a tremendous demographic edge as a STUDENT...I have relatives completing EM and OB/GYN residencies in NYC...They say a lot of hospitals depend rather heavily on rotating students and residents, so rotations & residencies are not gonna be a problem...The catch about NYC is, the hours will be long (as I would imagine with hospital dependency as described) and most of the hospitals are going to be in *tough* areas...Some hospitals where Touro will likely set up rotations:
Woodhull
North General
Columbia Presbyterian
Flushing
Harlem
St. John
Staten Island
Lincoln

But if I want to come back to CA in the long run (residency)? I know certain CA hospitals are familiar with Touro, regardless of which one I attended for med school. So it's not like I'd be attending a total newbie school no one in CA has heard of....I guess NYC=$$$ as a student and CA=lawsuits as a doctor?
Someone help!

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
Touro in CA has been around longer, and already has rotations,etc. setup, whereas Touro in Harlem, no one really knows yet what will happen with their rotations. I would definitely go to the more established school unless you are dead set on NYC. I've lived in NYC metro area pretty much all my life, and having visited San Fransisco several times, I must say it seems to be a much nicer, cleaner life out there. California seems like a great place to live. Nicer climate too.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.