NYCOM acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I typed it on a typewriter at work...pain in the a$$! I think alot of people hand wrote it. Just make sure it is neat :)

Members don't see this ad.

Re: DPC

i think i'm halfway inbetween on it. it has it's problems, but so does lecture. so does any med school program, for that matter, i'm quite sure. if you're looking for a perfect learning experience, i doubt med school at all is for you.

i agree about the scheduling. argle. and the disconnectedness of the learning process. and having to work basically all the time. but it's not all bad. you don't have to sit listening to monotonous lectures, you can TRY to get the learning in the way that's better for you (though that doesn't always work out), and if it doesn't work out, you can do it your way anyway, if you can still hold your own in group. we get more access and interaction personally to/with faculty, which is a bonus in addition to the earlier clinicals.

if it interests you, apply, and if you get into it, give it the two week try. but seriously evaluate it during those weeks, because there's no going back after.

i called them today (wed.) and asked when i'd hear back and she told me over the phone that i was accepted. she also said that she had all the letters for acceptances in her hand and I had interviewed on the 15th, so y'all will prolly hear f'SHO in a week or so...if not, give them a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you interview on the 14th or 16th... I thought they only did it Tues and Thurs?

If you interviewed on the 16th, then my chances are all shot b/c she said the decision hasnt been made yet to me over the phone.. which can only mean that I wasnt accepted :(
BUT if you interviewed on the 14th, then I still have some ray of light at the end of the tunnel :)

my friend called them and the lady told him that the adcom didnt meet for the 16th yet. so i don't think she was holding a rejection back from you.. :D

did you interview on the 14th or 16th... I thought they only did it Tues and Thurs?

If you interviewed on the 16th, then my chances are all shot b/c she said the decision hasnt been made yet to me over the phone.. which can only mean that I wasnt accepted :(
BUT if you interviewed on the 14th, then I still have some ray of light at the end of the tunnel :)

nah, my interview was on the 15th, they do do it on wed. so don't worry, there is light!

I just called, and they told me I got in. I interviewed on the 16th.

Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone know how long it takes NYCOM to decide whether to interview someone or not?

I was complete Oct 22, and being the paranoid person I am, I'm thinking I was rejected b/c I have not heard anything from them. Am I just worrying over nothing, or does Nycom take time before you hear anything. Also is it true that if your invited for interview, you are notified by regular mail?

if they say the adcom didn't meet yet, thats great (I hope) :)

but the next question is, when will they? and when will we know?

those who got accepted, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I hope to be joining you in the celebration boat soon !!

does anyone know if having no grade below a C in one of the prereq classes is a hard and fast rule for NYCOM? i would really like to have a shot at this school and i just saw this on their website. has anyone received an acceptance that has had a grade below a C in a prereq? orgo didn't treat me so well...

does anyone know if having no grade below a C in one of the prereq classes is a hard and fast rule for NYCOM? i would really like to have a shot at this school and i just saw this on their website. has anyone received an acceptance that has had a grade below a C in a prereq? orgo didn't treat me so well...

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_DO_Program.htm

Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence, with a grade of "C" or better, in the following prerequisite courses:
• English – 6 semester hrs.
• Biology – 8 semester hrs. including a basic course in general biology or general zoology (lecture and laboratory)
• General Chemistry – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)
• Organic Chemistry – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)
• Physics – 8 semester hrs. (lecture and laboratory)

The statement above is a direct quote from NYCOM's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh hey crave you should call again cuz my friend called again today and they told him the results. they DID review the 16th batch... you interviewed on the 16th right? goodluck

:D I interviewed on the 16th and got over the phone confirmation of my acceptance!

For those of you that interviewed on the same day or earlier the mail is coming. ;) Good Luck to you all!

based on these response times, how often do you guys think the adcom is meeting? I want to hear back soon.

you're going to have to retake it...anytime before matriculation. i'm pretty sure they will accept you with a grade below C, but you've got to bring it up before starting class.

hope this helps :luck:

my chances are all shot b/c she said the decision hasnt been made yet to me over the phone.. which can only mean that I wasnt accepted :(

In my experience last year, the NYCOM admissions hotline tells many people many different things...DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ABOUT YOUR STATUS BASED ON WHAT THE SECRATARIES OVER THE PHONE TELL YOU!! This is the worst part, I know, but don't loose hope until you have an official rejection letter in your hand!

Good luck.

Hey, everyone! I interviewed on the Nov. 9th and got accepted. I also got accepted to PCOM and still waiting for the UMDNJ.
For me NYCOM's location is one of the most important things in that school.
For those of you who already decided to go to NYCOM what were your reasons? I'm still trying to figure out how to choose the best school for myself.
And those who already are in NYCOM please let us know the pros and cons of the school.
Thank you

Sorry to bother you all, but does anyone know how long it takes NYCOM to decide whether to interview someone or not?

I was complete Oct 22, and being the paranoid person I am, I'm thinking I was rejected b/c I have not heard anything from them. Am I just worrying over nothing, or does Nycom take time before you hear anything. Also is it true that if your invited for interview, you are notified by regular mail?

It took them about 5 weeks to get back to me.

would those lucky individuals who got accepted to nycom mind posting some stats so a future nycom hopefull can get an idea

thanks

oh man! I'm going nuts! I just called again, and the lady just abruptly said that not all the candidates from the 16th were reviewed. This time I'm not paranoid b/c she didnt even ask for my name. (whew sigh of relief :) )

Anyways.. I want to call again, but I'm afraid the same woman is going to answer!! what to do? I neeeeeeeeeeed to find out, and waiting for the mail is def too long!!

thank you to all for still putting up with me posting these things :D

4-5 weeks sounds about right I interviewd on Nov 30th and got my response on Dec 28th. Not really like I care now but some MD schools havent even responded

I know for a fact that if you retake the class before entering that you will bc ok. I did this for orgo 2 and gen chem 2. I initially had a C+ bith but retoke them and did much better. they like to see that kind of stuff

Too true. Many in my interview group and those after got acceptances before I received mine. I called and was not given info. I received an accpentance in under a month but when others in your interview group and those after you are getting letters and phone confirmations it may make one nervous.

:luck:

In my experience last year, the NYCOM admissions hotline tells many people many different things...DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS ABOUT YOUR STATUS BASED ON WHAT THE SECRATARIES OVER THE PHONE TELL YOU!! This is the worst part, I know, but don't loose hope until you have an official rejection letter in your hand!

Good luck.