NYCOM (DO) or NYMC (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycphildoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to NYCOM and have an interview @ NYMC on Oct. 18. I am interested in Emergency Medicine. In terms of obtaining a EM residency, should I go to NYMC because it eill be harder for me to obtain an EM residency as a DO? Another question, as a DO will I be eligible to complete my residency in three years. NYCOM is cheaper and is in a much more convient location for me. Finally, I have just landed a job as a research tech. at NYU med center. I applied to NYU med last year, and did not receive an interview. My application is very strong accept for a 7 on Verbal. Do you think I have a chance at NYU (my dream school), even with the 7 since I'll be doing research there? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

11PS, 11BS. I applied early decision.

If NYMC is your dream school, I would keep applying, continue to work as a research tech, enroll and do well in some graduate courses, and eventually their adcom will see that you would be a fantastic asset to their school despite one insignificant number on a silly exam.

P.S. there are many osteopathic EM residencies all over the country.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, with a V7,you have no chance at NYU. A V9 would be very difficult - they are looking for 10+ across the boards - they are stupid like that.

Secondly, I am a current first year at NYCOM and love ever second of it. However, there are a lot of things you should think about here. First of all, why to you want ER. You should be very careful about an ER residency, b/c with that, if in ten years you are tired of the pressure of the ER, you are stuck there. A lot of ER doctors do no reside in the ER, but instead in Fam. Med. - just to avoid that lack of choices.

As to which school you want - YOu should not go to NYCOM unless you are interesed in OMT - this is important, because it takes up a big part of your time that you would have off at an MD school. NYCOM goes to school 9-5 almost every day = this is important - if you don't believe in the ideals, you will be miserable.

You have to think about what you want and how you want to get there. Think about WHY NYU is your dream school, and if it really is, then you should keep going for it.

NYCPhilDoc,

A 7V for NYU Med isn't impossible for admission because when I was an undergrad at NYU a bunch of my friends got in with mere 7s in verbal, but of course they were also Phi Beta Kappa and had an extensive research background.
smile.gif

I'll assume that you've applied twice to NYU Med Early already and you've been rejected twice, since it's already October. I'd interview at NYMC and, if accepted, I'd go. NYMC grads seem to do well with residencies. As for NYCOM, while I'm a big fan of the school (and there are a lot of NYU grads there too), you might find it tough to score an allopathic EM residency being a DO, as it's becoming more and more competitive nowadays.

By the way you'd be able to do a three year EM program as a DO, but if you want licensure in PA, LA, MI, and two other states, or if you want membership into the AOA or to be a professor at an osteopathic school, you'd have to do the rotating internship year.

Tim of New York City.

stevesattler,

You mention that you're a current first-year at NYCOM. Could you tell me a little more about your experiences as a NYCOM student? I have heard complaints about overpopulation and not enough attention from professors. Is this true? Also, what are the mean GPA and MCAT scores of most NYCOM students? Finally, how's the area?

Thank you!

I am a first year EM resident at an ACGME/MD program. I am a DO. I got my top match choice which is at a pretty competitive institution without rotating there as a med student or doing an internship. During the interview process (I only applied to ACGME/MD programs), I only found couple of programs that had problem with me not taking the USMLE (I only took the COMLEX)...but all the other programs had no problems with my COMLEX scores.
As far as doing Family med....that's not gonna happen much more... only if you want to work at a rural hospital that no board certified EM doc is willing to go to you will be able to do that... This used to happen more about 10 years ago...and those are the docs (non ER residency trained docs) that have the high rate of leaving their job after few years. More and more hospitals are also only accepting board certification through ABOEM or ABEM (American board of Osteopathic EM (DO) or American board of EM (ACGME)) for their ER docs which means family docs and other primary care docs that have gone through various other organizations to get a certification for EM will not have their board certification be recognized.. This gets to be a bit complicated to explain over the internet. Your best bet is to talk to a EM residency director at a teaching hospital close to you that has a EM program..

you would have to be an idiot to forego a medical school acceptance and keep on applying to your dream school. Sure nothing's impossible, but be realistic. Do you want to be a doctor or do you wannabe a wannabe?
Did you say you want to practice emergency medicine or did you say you want to be a premed student till you die? Get MSI and II out of the way, Don your white coat and start pokin people.
smile.gif