NYCOM: Lecture-based or PBL (DPC)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinhobbes

Attending Physician and Preceptor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do the NYCOM students think?
Could someone give pros and cons for both?

Is it true that DPC students have higher board-exam scores?

Just trying to gather as much info on DPC as possible... thanks everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow NYCOM 2014'er. I have just decided not to go DPC due to the following factors:

1: During my NYCOM interview a few months ago, the DPC director specifically said that board exams were perfectly even betwen DPC and lecture based.

2: I've heard that DPC students study harder and have less free time.

These 2 factors, taken together, would suggest that DPC is not worth it. Also, I feel that the lectures are part of what my $40k is buying... so to replace that with self study seems haphazard.

First off congrats! I am a fourth year DPC student at NYCOM, just matching into my first choice EM program. It is hard to tell if DPC would work for you because it is a very personal choice. For me, it was beyond perfect. I would have fell asleep or played computer games all day if i did lecture, but with DPC you are FORCED to study and know your material COLD. You are going to study HARD, hopefully no matter which tract you choose....and its quite sad to hear that people are concerned about the "lack of free time" you might have in lecture vs. DPC...no offense. But if you think med school is going to be a walk in the park, well your going to fail out of first year, or kill yourself in 3rd. I'm not trying to be a b*tch, or scare anyone, but you should not base your future on how much free time you will get or how hard you may want to work.
As for board scores, on COMLEX 1 the scores were pretty equal, but DPC students do better on COMLEX 2 (This is what i was told, i don't have any hard data to prove it). But, i can say from personal experience, I was VERY prepared for 3rd and 4th year thanks to the structure of DPC.
Again, I am an advocate for DPC...but it is NOT for everyone. You need to be dedicated! It is NOT all self-study, but you do put a lot of time and effort into your readings and prep for group sessions. If you have any questions in particular email me ([email protected]) and i will be happy to answer them. GOOD LUCK!:p