Quartile based rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.SPAC3MAN

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, first time starting a thread here… so my school does not do actual rank, but puts us into quartiles, but the top 10% is put on deans list and is ranked. Starting year 2 I’m sitting in 1st quartile, obviously not sure how close I am to top 10%

My question is how big a deal would 1st quartile be vs top 10%? How big a deal is quartile in general when applying to residency? I’m considering gen surg

I know it’s kinda a neurotic question, just trying to get more opinions. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone, first time starting a thread here… so my school does not do actual rank, but puts us into quartiles, but the top 10% is put on deans list and is ranked. Starting year 2 I’m sitting in 1st quartile, obviously not sure how close I am to top 10%

My question is how big a deal would 1st quartile be vs top 10%? How big a deal is quartile in general when applying to residency? I’m considering gen surg

I know it’s kinda a neurotic question, just trying to get more opinions. TIA
Top quartile is good and I doubt residencies have time to even know that there’s distinction at your school for the top 10%. Coming from a DO school, you want to be in the top quartile if you can if going for something competitive. But, this is not as important as things like boards, clinical grades, LORs, research, etc.

For those reading this and freaking out: it’s okay if you’re not in the top quartile. It basically comes down to how well you did first semester. So if you had a hard time adjusting in first semester, it’s very difficult to change your rank with the remaining 1.5 years even if you walk on water the rest of the way. It’s a nice nod. But it’s not THAT important.

Reactions: 3 users
I always mention if a student is in the 1st quartile or top 10% in a LOR. PDs want resident who will most likely pass boards. Agreed, it is not an end all be all, but certainly another positive note I can add to a LOR. Otherwise , best to not be too deep into the bottom half of the class.

Reactions: 1 user