NYCOM question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I interviewed at NYCOM, I didn't get much sense of a campus community...it was basically like a commuter school, people came to classes and left, this probably due in part to their housing situation...the school doesnt have any on-campus housing, and the only thing you're gonna find in Glen Cove/Westbury is the basement or bedroom of a house...now that I will probably be attending this school next year, can anyone coment on my claims above? It seems that MD schools may have more of a campus-community feel since some offer housing, and also due mainly to the fact that the average age at MD schools is probably lower than DOs

Members don't see this ad.

I shoud be studying, so I will be brief. There is, I feel, plenty of community here at NYCOM. As far as campus community goes maybe you are right, I dont go to campus to "hang out". I go there to go to class, attend lectures, and study and you will find that is more time than you would want to spend in any one place. So for good reason people leave when they are done. There are plenty of things to do off campus though, and many students take part. Since we all live off campus, we tend to do all of our "hanging out" off campus. (and no not in basements, although there are some that do.) You can find nice apartments all over, and not too expensive either. Anyway, maybe I'm just lucky in that I have an awesome group of friends but I feel that there is plenty of community.

Hey CowboyMD,

Do you mind telling me where most of the NYCOM students get housing?? Is there like a central town or apartment complex, like some sort of core? Or are the students spread out all over? Do you know what I mean?? I havent really hard of apartment complexes in Glen Cove, but then again, you never know

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as that goes, I guess the majority of people live in Glen Cove. Others live elsewhere, Rosyln, hicksville, ect.. Everythings real easy to get to so even if you cant find a place in glen cove or near you should be ok. There is one apartment complex here in Glen cove where a bunch of students live, but its super expensive. My best advice is to get a little apartment not part of a complex with some roommates, check out some realtors they charge you a finders fee but it'll be worth it if you find a nice place. Also use the web board to try and find roommates. If all else fails get one of those basement apartments but only rent it out from month to month, no lease, that way when you hear of a room opening up you can grab it. Thats what i did.

Oh and that's D.O., Cowboy DO. :D

i have another dumb question.

i found nycom's 2003 match list in another forum. definitely impressed. there are a few hospitals on there that are near where i want to settle down eventually, so that was cool.
but i was wondering if there are any stats on how many of those residencies are allo as opposed to osteo. im not familiar with some of the hospitals, and i am not raelly sure if we have any "osteopathic" hospitals here in nyc. im just curious to see how many of nycom'ers go the allo route... do they keep track of usmle pass rates too?

i usually hate looking at stats, but this has made me curious. ive noticed how some schools seem to encourage DOs to stay true to their roots, so to speak. but i just wonder if that is not the case everywhere, now.

did curiosity kill the Bean? :confused:

I have some piece of paper they were givng out when I went to an interview so it's for the class of 2002. Here's the break down:

Osteo 134 (56%)
-NYCOMEC 105
-Non-NYCOMEC 29

Allo 99 (43%)
military 1

In the Allo there were:
EM 5
FP 7 (w/ military)
IM 46
OB 6
Path 2
Peds 13
Prelim/trans year 10
Psych 8
Surg 3

chrisobean -
good luck with your interview on the 20th! I just set one up for the 25th. Let us know how it goes!

thanks Cowboy... i find that pretty interesting how its evenly split.

is there a link to the NYCOMEC hospital network somewhere?

thanks for the good wishes vrazz... good luck to you as well!

Hey there cowboy...

Not to step on your toes but we actually match a lot better than that peice of paper relates. Keep in mind a couple of things, first many of the programs that they consider "Osteopathic" are actually dually accredited programs (NUMC for instance). Second many students match into a "Traditional Rotating Internship" which are linked to allopathic residencies (often satisfying the PGY-1 year).

I copy and pasted the 2003 list which has been floating around (thanks to Oceandoc).

As is apparent that one sheet of paper we all got at orientaion does not do us justice...

Anesthesia: (26 total!)
Cleveland Clinic
Einstein, NY (3)
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Wisconsin
Yale
NYU
Suny Downstate (5)
Maimonides, NY
Metroheath, OH
Temple, Philadelphia, PA
Univ of Mass, MA
UConn, CT
Univ Buffalo, NY
Metrohealth Med Ctr (OH)
Stony Brook, NY
Westchester Med Ctr, NY (NYMC)

Emergency Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY
LIJ/ Einstein, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset, NY
Univ at Buffalo (2)
Newark Beth Israel, NJ
Albert Einstein, Philadelphia, PA
St. Barnabus, NY (6)
St. Barnabus, NY EM/IM Combined
UMDNJ, Kennedy Memorial (EM/IM Combined)

Family Practice:
Good Samaritan, NY
New York United Hospital
Mercy Hospital, PA
St. Claires, NY, NY
Union Hospital, NJ (2)
Northside Hospital, FL
St. Barnabus, NY (3)
St. Josephs, Syracuse NY
Overlook Hospital, NJ (2)
Somerset Med Ctr, NJ
UMDNJ (2)
Univ of Pittsburgh

General Surgery:
Doctor's Hospital, OH
Stony Brook, NY
Maimonides Med Ctr, NY
Nassau Univ Med Ctr, NY
St. Vincents, NY, NY
Wyckoff Heights Med Ctr, NY, NY
St. Barnabus, NY

OTO-Facial/Plastic Surgery
Northeast Regional Medical Ctr, MO

Internal Medicine:
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, NY, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)

Neurology: