nycom questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docstarwars

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i will be interviewing at nycom this friday, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how the day was structured and anything else i may need to know. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Please check interviewfeedback.com there are many answers to your question.

Hey ... I'm a first year NYCOM.

"Interviewfeedback.com" is one of the best sites to visit before any of your interviews ... so definitely check it out.

Just to give you a quick run down.

1. You will meet in the student affairs conference room at 9 AM sharp. At which time you will be given the secondary application to complete (hint: there will be one essay question, "Why NYCOM". I would recommend writing this out prior to your interview and to bring it with you. That way you can transfer it to the secondary and not have to worry about stressing over writing an essay on the spot).

2. Once the secondary applications are completed, the interviewing process will start. Most likely, one basic faculty member (PhD) and one physician (DO) will interview you (hint: answer all questions truthfully. There are no wrong answers. Plus, they will see right through you and that does not go over well with them. They don't care as much about the answers as how you answer them. Think about it, would you want an un-honest (not sure it that's a word ...but you know what I mean) physician taking care of you?). Interviews last anywhere from 10-20 mins on average.

3. The interviews should be completed by noon and you will break for lunch. During lunch the dean of admission (Mr. Michael Schaefer) will visit to provide you with some more information about the school and field any questions.

4. After lunch, 1 or 2 students will come in to talk to you about the school from there perspective. Definitely ask them anything. They do not report to the interviewers and will provide you with honest answers. Once the question and answer session wraps up your off on a tour of the campus (hint: watch out for goose droppings). Once that's completed your done!!

Hope this was helpful and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a few thing about NYCOM's interview.

The essay they give you gives VERY LITTLE space to answer. Don't have a long, drawn-out, reflective answer. Get to the point quick.

Erasable pen may also be useful!

They didn't tell us the interview order, nor did they tell us who would be with which interviewer.

As everyone came back from the interview, we were all talking amongst eachother in the room.

At another school there were students and Financial Aid reps that visited with us while others were interviewing. NYCOM was not like this.

Just us, secluded in a room, talking about how the interview went.

I was the last one to go.

One thing that may be helpful is to sit in on a class in the morning.

I believe classes start at 9am and you don't need to be upstairs util 9:30 or so.

Go to the first 20 minutes of class, meet some students, get a feel for what a typical lecture might be like. It may give you something to talk about.

It did for me, I nailed the question "How, as an osteopathic physician, would you treat pancreatitis?"

I happened to catch the first few minutes of a lecture on this topic and told my interviewer. He took the opportunity to ask me about it.

It was overall an easy-going day.

I also recommend looking at <a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">www.interviewfeedback.com</a>

Good luck!

nyskindr, frosty, and jphazelton,

thanks for taking the time to help me out! :p