Nycom...stony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I need some advice and I feel this is the perfect place to find such. I was accepted to NYCOM's bs/do program very recently. It was actually an odd case and after applying very late I was given special consideration because of a HS senior year program. Now I am debating on applying to Stony Brook as an undergrad...I am very confused.

I want to become an oncologist at some point and I def. enjoy the osteopathic view. The whole "college experience" is not a huge deal. If I attend Stony it would amount to about 20k. If I attend NYIT (the first half of the bs/do) it would amount to about 25k. So the cost is not a big difference.

Confusion...confusion. I know what I want to be and have no doubt about my future. Any opinions would be great. About Stony, nyit/nycom bs/do, about the situation in general. Thanks a bunch! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The college experience is a HUGE deal. You may find out that you don't even want to become a physician.

At my undergrad there were 35 people who started as premeds freshman year. Upon graduation, 12 were going to medical school...only 12 applied. The other 23 went into other areas of study...research, business, dental and military to name a few. They all could have gone to medical school. Premed people are bright individuals...that's why you NEED the college experience to find out what there is out there...people like us can do whatever we want to do.

Go to the best school that will suit you as a person. If you have what it takes to get into NYCOMs program now, there is no doubt that you will have what it takes in a few years...if you still want to become a doctor.

I know people who did 7 year programs. I could have done one myself. I thank God every day that I didn't. I am happy and STILL doing what I want to be doing...but I decided on medicine not because I was in a program that would force me in that direction...but rather because I CHOSE to be there. I don't regret any decisions I made along the way (exept for that one girl after a frat party my sophomore year, but that's another story)

Go to college...for 4 years. Have fun. Work hard and play hard. Then become a great doctor and don't forget what you learned OUTSIDE the classroom while in college.

JP

I say go with whatever you feel is right. I know a lot of people that were sure they wanted to do x when they finished HS, but then went in a totally different direction once they experienced something else. Personally I would not have given up my undergrad for anything. I have enjoyed college and am going to be a doctor, but I didn't have to do it. The 4 years allowed me to explore a variety of things that you might get a chance to experience if you go this route. I don't know anyting about NYCOM's BS/DO program, but my undergrad institution has a BS/MD program and I can tell you that I don't envy those kids one bit. They don't get to take the classes that I have taken such as Philosophy, World Civ, and many more that have contributed to who I am as a person. However, I can see the appeal of not having to worry about a spot in med school and all that (if that is the way it works at NYCOM). I would say sit down and ask yourself, "Self, where do I really want to go?" Where will you be the happiest? Did Stony Brook seem fantastic and you feel that it would be a better fit? Or, is NYCOM the school that does it for you? Happiness = better outlook on life = less stress = better grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
JPHazelton said:
The college experience is a HUGE deal. You may find out that you don't even want to become a physician.

At my undergrad there were 35 people who started as premeds freshman year. Upon graduation, 12 were going to medical school...only 12 applied. The other 23 went into other areas of study...research, business, dental and military to name a few. They all could have gone to medical school. Premed people are bright individuals...that's why you NEED the college experience to find out what there is out there...people like us can do whatever we want to do.

Go to the best school that will suit you as a person. If you have what it takes to get into NYCOMs program now, there is no doubt that you will have what it takes in a few years...if you still want to become a doctor.

I know people who did 7 year programs. I could have done one myself. I thank God every day that I didn't. I am happy and STILL doing what I want to be doing...but I decided on medicine not because I was in a program that would force me in that direction...but rather because I CHOSE to be there. I don't regret any decisions I made along the way (exept for that one girl after a frat party my sophomore year, but that's another story)

Go to college...for 4 years. Have fun. Work hard and play hard. Then become a great doctor and don't forget what you learned OUTSIDE the classroom while in college.

JP

I agree with the entire college experience and finding the true path. The reason I have such confidence is because of a senior year program in HS. I was accepted (from many) into a very small class that took place at a VA Hospital. I attended the hospital each day, all year. I took all HS classes at the hospital. (except calc and four electives that I took at HS EARLY in the morning before the VA). I also rotated three days with each medical professional and in each field, sometimes with med students yet most of the times alone. Saying this...I was able to get an amazing experience. Watching surgery for like seven hrs a day for three wks right next to the surgeon?derm, oncology, ortho, EM etc, etc. So this program was a major reason I was able to get into nyit/nycom so very late. I feel that this program in HS gave me so much...and that one of the reasons I was accepted was to utilize it in college. Med school wont care four years later about some senior yr HS program I partook in. Sorry for the long post...just trying to convey my situation a bit clearer. Thnx again :)

stony brook is a great school, my alma mater. i dont know anything about nyit's undergrad, and i am going to nycom in the fall.
chances are, if you do decently at stony brook, nycom will accept you anyway. i think stony brook has alot more opportunities available to you. with the hospital right across the street, theres alot of things you can do - volunteer work, shadowing, medical research. and they are really strong in the sciences department, if you want to do basic research. but it seems you already have this experience.
the 7 year programs seem very limited, in that you concentrate solely on the "pre-med" stuff (this is just from hearing about them). i was able to take so many other classes at the brook: medieval lit, art, music, theater, cultural anthro... stuff that i loved, that was fun, and still did my pre-med stuff and majored in biology. it was the greatest time of my life (so far). i lived on campus for 4 years, so that may have had something to do with it :) but i think you should give yourself the freedom of choosing your path.
since you know you want medicine, and have so much experience already, why limit yourself to that for the next 7 years?

Hello,

The education you receive at NYIT is a joke. I know so many BS/DO kids that commented on their education at NYIT. I've been through their campus almost everyday and it is not all that impressive. The students don't seem to interact as much as it seem, it is more of a commuter school, at least the campus in westbury. Islip campus might be different.

I've been to SUNY stonybrook, spent half a year there then transfered to binghamton. Stonybrook is like a commuter school too, but NOT as bad as NYIT. There are tons of dorms and great facilities there w/ great teachers. I personally like SUNY stonybrook better than NYIT. I only transfered out of stonybrook because I wanted to go to binghamton... more of a college school. I want the experience.

Believe me... you're still young, so enjoy being young. Don't be so anxious about growing up and being a physician, you'll have plenty of time. College is for you to have fun before the real world, please enjoy it. BTW... do you think being a DO is for you ? You might say you like osteopathy, but you seem to like surgery, dermat, and other fields more... maybe you should become an MD ? It offers you greater opportunities at residencies and such.

Plus, what you might like now will change with time. In my HS class, there were about 100 kids who were pre-med. only about 25 of them actually became pre-med in college. out of those 20, i would say maybe 5 actually went to med school.

when you get into the BS/DO program, you are locked into being a DO, maybe you will find that you want to be something else and trust me... you might like something now, but things will change in a year or two. Give it some time. If it doesn't then i'll be happy for you, but for majority of people, it does change. PLus.. you still have to take the MCATs and get at least a 24 on it in order to get into NYCOM. The standard was raised from a 22 a few yrs ago. Maybe by the time you're ready to take the mcats, the standard might raise a few more points as well. In that time, its no difference than going to a regular college than the program.

My advice would be to go to STony brook, and enjoy your college yrs... then apply for NYCOM if you really want to go there and become a DO. Stony brook has a really good medical school as well.

just curious, what are you strongly considering stony brook? b/c it's in long island? if location is not a big factor, i would consider other more reputable schools such as u. chicago, northwestern, cornell, columbia, carnegie mellon, u. michigan, berkeley, georgetown, etc, etc. i think you will get a better educational experience in those schools and if you do well, you will get into a med school.

Test Boy said:
just curious, what are you strongly considering stony brook? b/c it's in long island? if location is not a big factor, i would consider other more reputable schools such as u. chicago, northwestern, cornell, columbia, carnegie mellon, u. michigan, berkeley, georgetown, etc, etc. i think you will get a better educational experience in those schools and if you do well, you will get into a med school.

That is a very good question and I have been looking at u. michigan. I feel that it is too late in the year though to apply to many of these schools...but I am not really sure on that one. Any info?

Thanx for the feedback guys. I def. know that I will go into med. I know many ppl change their minds...but I have much in my background that pushed me towards medicine (long story :( blah). Any more feedback would be awesome...thnx so much :rolleyes:

I have to agree with the majority here who say to go to a good 4-year undergrad program and enjoy college. Get a good, WELL-ROUNDED education. FYI, English and liberal arts majors are highly valued when applying to medical schools (told to me by a friend who is on an admissions committee). There is so, so much more to life than medicine. This is your only chance to get a taste of it and to become a truly educated person (many people don't believe that people without some foundation in liberal arts are truly educated, no matter how much science they know). IF you know you want to do medicine, great. Go for it. But you owe it to yourself and your future patients to round out your education and yourself before you start medicine.

I've gone through the BS/DO program and it really is a joke. I really didn't learn much and the college experience was terrible. If you really want to go to medical school then I say that you go and get a real college experience, work hard, and if you want it bad enough you'll have no problem getting in. If you are like me and are a slacker, then maybe NYIT is the place for you, because I did the minimun amount of work that I could and I messed around the rest of the time. Would I do it again, it's hard to say. I've made some good friends here, but I sometimes the fact that I missed out on my college experience really bugs me.
Again, it's your decision to make, take everything people say to you with a grain of salt.
If you need any additional information, feel free to PM me.

sia_simba said:
when you get into the BS/DO program, you are locked into being a DO,

Hi,
I have to disagree with that statement, because you are not locked into being just a DO. You can apply to allo schools after your first year at NYCOM and get accepted. Also if you chose not to continue with medicine, you just do a 4th year of undergrad at nyit and go onto doing whatever you want to.
Other then that, i would say only do bs/do if you know that is what u want to do and that u'll be mature when you start med school. I went to Binghamton for 4 years and i wouldnt trade that for any 7 yr program. College gives you a chance to mature and find out what u really want to do with your life. With the bs/do program, i feel as if the most of the students were "babied" in undegrad and then did not know how to handle being in med school.
KP

Any other students who have an opinion? Even better would be past/present Stony students... :)

ill be glad to answer any more questions about the brook, pm me if you want :)

Hey sweet....

BS/DO is a lock mechanism because people who apply to it intend to be a DO. I know you DONT have to necessarily do it because you can always drop out of school and do something else if you want. But those who choose to go into BS/DO program have the full intention of "wanting" to be a DO and at the same time, limiting themself to that institution. Sure they can apply to another 4 yr undergrad if they decided being a DO is not for them anymore, but they've still wasted time in doing so. Sure if I go to a DO school for 1st two years at NYCOM, I can still drop and apply elsewhere.... however, I'd lock myself in which I traded time to seek other things, which anyone can do. I too wouldn't trade my 5 yrs at binghamton (BS, then MA)for any 7 yr program. I got to party on weekends, meet tons of people, joined a lot of organizations, have the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I wanted, live in the dorms, run around at night, sleeping w/ whoever you want to (watch out for stds) hehe.... and when it got down to it, I was still able to study, and interact w/ professors on a personal level, etc.

Hey I was faced with the same decision you are facing now... STONEY in their honors colllege or something along those lines, or BS/DO at nyit....
I chose nyit and sort of regret it.
A lot actually,
NYCOM itself is a pretty good school and bs/do's do go on to do well here in general. (many of us seem to become fellows eh ommfellow2006?... :D go figure)
But in general I think stoney would have given me a better education, and maybe a lesson in working hard, so that that lesson would be less painful in med school
Seriously, I think Im dumber for having gone to tech, so go to stoney and if you still wanna go to a do school, nycom is a good place. as far as whether you are locked in to the DO thing or nycom ... while you are not technically locked in, getting out does take preplanning from virtually your first year. MOST of those who went to another school, some for location reasons others for financial (nycom is expensive compared to say downstate) wound up spending a year at nycom and THEN going to another medical school, REPEATING their first year.
If I were you , I would just go to stoney and kick butt there... unless youre a slacker but very smart (most nyit kids are at least slacers :p )
but thats just me

i was a bs/do now i am a first year nycom student.. i chose the bs/do program because i knew i wanted to become a physician. the bs/do program definely has its pro's and con's.
PRO:
finish your bachelors in 3 years
yea thats about it

CONS:
education is way below average
many students not prepared for MCAT; and do not gain admission to NYCOM
NO Campus life..

alot of my friends could not meet the requirements and didnt gain acceptance into nycom
on the other hand many kids did well and applyed to many MD schools and got in. it all depends on you

if you know you want to do this then i say go for it and if you dont like it.. then transfer to stony because you cant transfer from stony into the bs/do program.

Go to a University, have fun, study hard, and become a well rounded human being. If you find yourself struggling to get into medical school afterwards there are plenty of "feeder programs" (like a trial year) at MD and DO schools to help you get academically acknowleged at those institutions.

College is a time to discover yourself. Thats actually what I believe you are paying tuition for. The opportunity to mingle with all types of personalities in a setting where your freedom is unlimited is extremely important. Don't miss out on it my man. Besides, 75%-90% of the "academic" stuff you learn there will vanish so fast it won't make a difference in the long run.

Venty

Definitely get a university education. My 4 years of undergrad at Cornell was time well spent. I enjoyed getting a well-rounded education, developing intellectually, and getting the college experience. I truly enjoyed being in the company of a culturally diverse group and college students and faculty. That is something that NYIT lacks. I think that going into a BS/DO program may put a drain on your college experience and leave you narrow-minded. It is your decision but I would recommend going to Stony Brook. Unlike the rest of LI, Stony Brook has become more diverse (ethnically and culturally), has gained more of a national reputation, and has given students a solid education. Work hard in undergrad and decide later whether medicine is for you. I wasn't completely sure if I wanted to do medicine until my junior year of undergrad.

Good luck with your decision!

So assuming that I decide not to attend the bs/do program. Would it be better to attend suny binghamton or stony brook? Which would provide me with a better chance for med school yet also the ability to have a good time? Any feedback would be great :rolleyes:

it depends on what your looking for. binghamton is in the sticks, like the whole town shuts down at 7pm. i didnt want to go there for that reason. i guess its sort of a college town, but it sucks when you cant go to a restaurant for dinner after dark. stony brook isnt exactly a bumping town either, but living on campus is really fun. there are a ton of commuters, and alot of people living in the dorms are long island residents so they all go home on the weeeknds. but if you stay, you get to know everyone real quick. i hardly ever went home. all my roommates were from upstate so we all had the best time. hte mall is right there, port jeff is a cool little town with bars and restaurants, the beach, entire building parties, walking across campus at all hours of teh night, stumbling home from the one and only bar nearby, good times :) but like i said, it all depends on what your looking for.

Does anyone know if Binghamton or Stony have a better rep. as a "pre-med" undergrad?