NYCOM students who chose the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grove

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending NYCOM this fall, and I'm trying to determine how I am going to finance this pleasure cruise.... are there any NYCOM students out there with any recommendations? ... did any of you use the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarships? ... I have been told that the military does not provide enough money monthly to cover all living expenditures (especially considering the cost of living on Long Island) as opposed to taking loans for all living costs, tuition, etc... I have talked to recruiters, but it is difficult to get objective info from someone trying to fill a quota... any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All the information I know about the scholarships comes from a friend, who received a scholarship from the Navy. I guess they're going to pay full tuition (at a private school). I think her monthly stipend is about $1000, which isn't great for living expenses in LA.

If you'd like, I could probably get more exact figures. However, I do know that she'll pay back one year of service for every year they pay tuition. Her one-year Navy internship will not count. Usually, grads serve their four years after internship, and then they can enter a residency (military or "civilian"). If they do the residency first, the time spent in residency is not considered time served.

She's pretty excited to have rotations available after internship, such as underwater (submarine) medicine and flight surgery, which count as payback. It seems like she gets four years to decide what residency to choose!

That's all I can think of now. If there's anything you want me to ask her, let me know.

CS

i'm going throught the application process for the Army and Air Force HPSP. in simple terms, they cover full tuition, books and provide about a $1200 monthly stipend. in return, you have to do a residency at a military hospital, and serve at least 4 years after residency. some people do take out extra loans anyway to cover living expenses. you will have to talk to your recruiter about the fine print (there are lot's of little things they "forget" to tell you).

from what i understand, if you want this scholarship, you have to want it for more than just financial reasons. if it is purely financial, you will have a horrific time. salaries are lower after residency but you have to figure that you will have no debt, no medical or insurance bills, and they give you bonus pay. so if you go into family practice, peds, internal medicine, it is an excellent deal. if you plan on surgery, or ob/gyn, etc. you might be better off not taking the scholarship...unless of course you are really attracted to the military lifestyle.

here's my advice. ask around and talk to people who have gone through the program. be well informed and make sure that you are ready to commit at least 4 years to the military.

SEARCH the forum because there are tons of stuff about HPSP. email me if you like for more info and my reasons for applying.

~jay
COMP '05

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-29-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
The current Army HPSP Stipend is 1020/month for 10 1/2 months and 1 1/2 months of active duty pay at the rank of 2LT. I took in a little over 15K last year but I have dependents. It will be slightly lower if you are single. We are supposed to get a raise, but I am not sure what it will bring the stipend to.

After almost completing an 8 year payback for ROTC and HPSP, I think I would strongly consider just the military aspect and not the financial aspect. If you want a military career, then do it. If you are doing it mostly for the money, then strongly consider other options. I thought I wanted a military career, but have decided differently after almost 8 years.

GMO:

Could you tell me a bit about your experiences that makes you feel it might be a bad deal for those of use not sold on the idea of going into the military? How regimented is the life of a doctor? Are you pushed around a lot or do you get a fair degree of autonomy.

If you want, you can e-mail me personally at: [email protected]

Thanks,

R

"Could you tell me a bit about your experiences that makes you feel it might be a bad deal for those of use not sold on the idea of going into the military?"

I think your answer lies in GMO's UserName.

True, being a GMO the entire time would suck, but that is not what most people do--or is it? Hence, the reason for my question.

[This message has been edited by osteoguy (edited 01-29-2001).]