NYCOM vs. SGU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shakia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in to both NYCOM (DO School) and SGU (carribean), which o is a better option? thanx for ur comment.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely NYCOM!!!!

DAMN CAN'T YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND....... it's like Tupac said...everywhere I go, I see the same question.

Maybe I should spell it out for you.

N Y C O M

Members don't see this ad :)
This same topic has been rehashed a number of times over the last few years. The overwhelming consensus is to choose a US school, ANY school, over a Caribbean school. The "stigma" against DOs ranges from noticeable to non-existent across the country but is greater for IMGs (even though, it is generally a problem for pre-med and med students rather than residents and practicing physicians or your patients).

Your life will be much easier should you choose NYCOM.

Originally posted by Molybdenum
What about IMGs from Asian or European countries? I don't know if this is true, but it seems like they get more respect than DOs (from nurses, pa, etc) in MD hospitals...

My experience is that it is still DO's hands-down respect-wise. Even in MD hospitals...

1. NYCOM
2. Yes, many do care and do take the time to find out where you went to medical school and where you did your residency. You'd be surprised how much patients know about their doctors these days -- especially since this information is now so accessible via the internet. I've found that patients do much more research than we give them credit for.

Boy am I gonna get it for this lol...

I'd pick SGU in a hearbeat.

....am i superficial? id pick an MD over a DO in a friggin heartbeat.

DO is not as marketable...thats just bottom line. if you want to establish a private practice as a DO you will get a lot more people asking what the hell a DO is. Especially with certain foreign communities in the US.

Also, from my very limited understanding, DO's only practice in the United States, right?

So from my limited and ignorant understanding, a DO cant really practice anywhere else in the world?

ok, flame me...haha

In my experience, there is no stigma at all, whether it be DO or MD (US IMG flavor) or whatever once you're out there working. Although I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, I've worked with all kinds of doctors and no one gives a rat's behind what you are, where you got, or what your motivations for becoming a doctor were in the first place provided you do your job and do it well.

For example, the principal investigator at one of my best clinical sites, during a pancreatic cancer study I managed a few years back while working in the Biotech industry, was a DO. He managed 9 clinical sites (CCOP - Clinical Community Oncology Program) and was responsible for overseeing every aspect of the study at his trial center. No one ever questioned his authority, no one looked down on him, and he was also perceived as somewhat of an authority in the area with regards to clinical oncology.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
The "stigma" against DOs ranges from noticeable to non-existent across the country but is greater for IMGs (even though, it is generally a problem for pre-med and med students rather than residents and practicing physicians or your patients).

I couldn't agree more.

Im a bit dismayed that a moderator would suggest that there is a real "conventional wisdom" about SGU vs DO (I am using SGU since I am from this school and I accept that not all IMG school are equal- there are very shifty ones out there. I am not excluding all other IMG school however). Kimberly no doubt believes what she says, and she posts intelligently, but I must respectfully disagree with her.

In the past DOs had a clear advantage in Ortho and ER. Not so for ER anymore and not so clear for ortho. In my discussion with program directors, it seems to be that program directors will have their own biases; some know and like DOs, some SGU students.

In either case, a prog director knows both an SGU student and a DO student went that way because they failed to obtain a spot in a US med school (please, no flames about the DO philosophy and I wont bore you with the odd IMG who thinks their "international education" was a better option than US based allopath school). After that, they will rely on what they know of the program the applicant comes from and the applicant. In sum: anyone who feels that "-------- is the ONLY way to go dude!" really is covering a lack of objectivity with volume. Its just not that obvious.

All the best,
Steph
SGUSOM '99