NYCOM vs. UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlbfas5351

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
pros,cons? anything.

Members don't see this ad.

wlbfas5351:

Keep in mind that the pros and cons I list, may not be pros or cons in your eyes or others eyes. The decision to favor one school over the other is largely subjective. I always say that the best school is the school that is best for YOU. Having said that -- Pros and Cons.

NYCOM vs. UMDNJSOM

NYCOM has a giant class size. There are 300 people in the class, and you will have an opportunity to meet a greater variety of companions. UMDNJSOM has a small class of about 85.

NYCOM is part of the city that never sleeps! It is tucked away in the posh urban suburbia of Old Westbury. It's a stone's throw from Manhattan, Queens (JFK Airport), The Bronx, etc. UMDNJSOM is tucked away in a small suburb and is a 27 minute train ride to Philadelphia.

NYCOM has spacious, state of the art OMT labs with video equipment. UMDNJSOM has an allpurpose room that they wheel out OMT tables into for OMT lab. Other times it serves as a basketball court and as a dining area.

NYCOM has a tremendous number of clinical affiliations in some of the busiest and most challenging settings you can imagine. NYCOM has some of the best rotations in the country. UMDNJSOM has their own campus hospital, and 3 or 4 other small affiliations. Anything else would have to be with an elective, but I have heard it isn't difficult to set them up.

They both have a good reputation among residency directors. They both have excellent board pass rates. They both have very good numbers matching into their top 3 residency spots. It comes down to whether or not you like a smaller, quieter, quainter experience, or a bigger more urban experience.

I recommend you visit both schools, walk the campuses, and talk to current students. Get a feel for things yourself to really get a grasp of what you prefer.

I interviewed at both and have to say that I was much more impressed with NYCOM. I felt that I was at a medical school...don't get me wrong, I think that UMDNJ has many pros...but, I think that NYCOM has a little more to offer.

The deciding factor is this: Decide whether you want to go to a big school or a small school...there are many advantages to both. A big school, in my opinion, usually has more affiliates and more clinical opportunities. Also, I like the idea of having more cadavers in anatomy lab so you are exposed to many things on the wide variety of cadavers (diseases, conditions, ect...) whereas small schools (like UMDNJ) has a very small anatomy lab and only has about 10 cadavers for the anatomy coarse.

A small school means more attention...that's nice too. It's especially good for those learners that like the attention.

Regardless of what you choose...you're going to be a doctor regardless =)

Good luck!!!