NYCOM vs. UMDNJ-SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notorious D.O.C.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilemma: I am a NJ resident who recently got accepted to NYCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. The deadline for me to submit the deposit for NYCOM is approaching and I need to make a decision. I don't want to waste $500. Which school is better???...I know NYCOM has great clinical affiliations in NY/NJ blah blah blah...and UMDNJ-SOM has a small class size and is a lot cheaper. What do you guys think? Is there a website out there that ranks the best osteopathic schools???

Any opinions/comments/thoughts/information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're making the decision more difficult than it needs to be:

GO TO UMDNJ-SOM!

Good luck.

I'm in the same situation, a NJ resident accepted to both NYCOM and UMDNJSOM. I have decided on UMDNJSOM. It has a small class size and cheap for NJ residents.

You have to decide what feels best for you. Go with your gut reaction and don't look back. Maybe we'll be classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be crazy if you decide to go to NYCOM.
UMDNJSOM is one of the premier DO schools in the country with an excellent faculty, resources, and
small student body. It also gets the most research money of all the DO schools. NYCOM, from what I hear, has bad administration, too many students (300 vs SOM 75!) and crazy exam schedule. Why not get a first rate education at a much cheaper school (UMDNJSOM)?

NYCOM's preclinical experience has got to be one of the worst of the osteopathic programs, but the clinical years are much better (so far). In contrast, UMDMJ-SOM 1st and 2nd years seem to be very satisfied with their school (I don't know about 3rd and 4th year there). Consider this when making your decision.

Krazykam-

First of all, congratulations on being accepted! That was the hard part, really- everything else is just grunt work. (Says she who is more or less completely unprepared for her three tests on Monday... oy.)

Second of all, there is no offical ranking of osteopathic med schools. People on this board try to assemble an unoffical one every now and then (all right, every week or two), but it usually comes down to a lot of bickering. If you're really interested in them, ignore the actual "rankings" and just look at whatever supporting data that the students offer. You can draw your own conclusions that way.

Third of all, I may be biased... but SOM, definitely. Completely leaving aside the money issue (not that graduating with half the debt of NYCOM is a terrible thing- and keep in mind that housing near NYCOM is _hideously_ expensive) and the class size issue (and yes, it makes a difference), I really feel that I'm getting a fantastic education at SOM.

The curriculum has its problems, but SOM has long been regarded as the most "academic" of the DO schools. Our first two years are very strong, and most of our professors range from good to excellent. The administration is nice (Dr. Wallace is fantastic!), and the atmosphere is about as laid-back as possible for a med school.

Also (and this is definitely something to consider), the classes tend to be friendly and very non-competitive. When I was a first year, there were some rumors about "competitive" behavior within the class, and some of the upperclassmen took the time to talk to us and explain that that was _not_ the way to handle things. (Not that it matters, anyway- we don't have a class rank system, and our grades aren't curved.) We share old tests, and if someone writes up an outline that they think the class might appreciate, they put it in the reserve binder. It's a nice group of people and, just going by what I've heard online and in real life, the student body at SOM is happier than the student body at NYCOM. We don't walk around with dopey smiles on our faces all the time (well, not most of us, at least :) ), but most people are pretty happy where they are.

I can't say much about rotations yet (I only just picked my rotation track on Tuesday... and I got my first choice, too!), but we have several affiliates in southern NJ, and we also have an affiliate in Jersey City (and possibly one in Burlington... I really wasn't sure about that whole thing). We can do electives wherever we want (I think), including abroad.

Honestly, the only place where NYCOM really comes out ahead of SOM (again, my opinion) is in OMM. They have a strong program, and ours is... well, you _can_ learn, but you need to make the effort to seek out the doctors. (That's not really that much of a problem, though- all of the doctors are very approachable, and they love being asked to go in-depth. Or so I've been told...)

All right... it's getting late. (Not that I was planning on making it into class on time anyway... don't mind me- I'm just a professional bad example.) I hope that this helps a bit. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them or e-mail me.

Good luck!
Paige

Cornell University '00
UMDNJ-SOM '04

I've seen both campuses and know people at both schools.

If I had the choice you have, I would be living in Statford for the next few years.

Unless, of course, I got into PCOM as well ( :wink: ).

For two schools that both have their strong points, I think you really should take cost into consideration. Do you really want to be 60,000 or however much more in debt when you graduate? I know you are "basking in the post acceptance glow" of being accepted, but this really is an important issue. I mean, it'd be different if NYCOM was worlds better or something. But it's not. You should take that into consideration.

Greetings. First time poster. I'm a second year at NYCOM. I got into UMDNJ-SOM also and I chose NYCOM for a number of reasons. I guess it was mostly because of the feeling I got at the two places, but now I'm very happy I chose NYCOM. NYCOM does have a large class size, but not much larger than PCOM. I didnt find this a problem as I came from a large university and I was never one that needed my proverbial "hand held" through academic work. Also, I feel the greater the class size and hence number of successful alumni, the greater name-recognition and networking opportunities later on. Just a thought. I also felt like UMDNJ-SOM was the "little brother" of the UMDNJ MD schools. I knew two students at Robert Wood and they didnt even know they had a DO school affiliated with them.

For what it's worth, NYCOM is definitely trying feverishly to solve their problems. I just sat through a report by the Dean this week regarding the school's status and future. Apparently the AOA was here in the fall for a full inspection and gave the school one of the best grades any school could get. I believe their exact words were "NYCOM is poised to be the best Osteopathic Medical School in the country". Class size has increased, but will not any longer, and the number of faculty also has constantly increased. The AOA had no problem with the student:faculty ratio and neither do I. I think there's almost too many OMM and Anatomy professors. The post-doctoral program was also reviewed and won wide acclaim as well. 25 hospital affiliations opens alot of doors.

Recently the Dean of the school announced his retirement and the Dean of Student Affairs retired at the end of last year. While the new Dean is still being chosen, all eyes point to Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, DO, I believe, VP of the Allied Health School here and I think past Dean of Ohio School of Osteopathic Med, (who by the way is also Diana Ross's sister I hear). Hence, the problems with politics in administration seem to be evaporating. The Dean of Student Affairs is a young enthusiastic guy who seems to have great ideas and is very approachable. The Deans have been very willing and responsive to talk about changes in the curriculum. The first-years in fact have a meeting next week with the Dean to offer input and fine-tune next year's curriculum.

The school is also getting a major face-lift with new study areas, furniture, paint and carpet, and the cafeteria construction begins April 1st, finally.

Anyway, just wanted to jump on and defend NYCOM a bit. Med school is totally what you make out of it, wherever you go.

good luck.

My $0.02 is up.

Hi,

I am from NJ and I have been to NYCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. I went to an all day open house last spring. I did not like SOM, after having been there I alomst turned away from osteopathy. I know I am going to upset people with what I am about to say, so I am sorry. I didn't like the atmosphere. The presenters bashed the two sister schools indirectly. They then had a student speak who had transferred from Robert Wood (The sister allopathic school). He spoke about how they were doing it all wrong, etc... This bothered me because DO's have to work along side MD's when they graduate. If they can't, they are gonna have problems. If you look at NYCOM's online course catalog, a good portion of the faculty are MD's. The research they are doing on Parkinsons disease is being done by MD's, DO's and Ph.D's togther. I sensed they are trying to bridge the gap between MD's and DO's, and I liked that. Also 50% of NYCOM students do allopathic residency's as well, and abut 45% of NYCOM students specialize!! NYCOM has 18 contracted hospital affiliations, SOM's main affiliation is the Kennedy Health Care system. At the open house I went to, 3 of the students I spoke with said SOM really pushes an osteopathic residency. Which is fine, if that is all you want. I like to have as many doors open as possible. I would choose NYCOM, you will pay the money back. The opportunities NYCOM can give you by virtue of it's size and many hospital affiliations is priceless.

hello everyone! I just got accepted to NYCOM and was very impressed with what they had to offer. They have a great clinical affiliations all over the city and their graduated get into great residencies, both allopathic and osteopathic. also, njdocDO is right: at the end of my interview i asked the interviewer why i should pick NYCOM over DO schools, and he also told me about the AOA visiting the med school and giving it really good marks and how it is one of the better osteopathic med schools, if not the best. I was told that the semester is broken down into blocks so exams are given every 3 weeks instead of every week like it use to be. This gives you some weekends to hang out and relax. Besides i think one advantage NYCOM has over other DO schools is that it is only 20 minutes away from NYC. So during the weekends or after an exam you can always go to the city and chill out.

Well, I just mailed out my deposit for UMDNJ-SOM and will decline the acceptance to NYCOM. I'm just gonna go with my gut. I feel that UMDNJ-SOM would be a better school for ME. Thanks for all the great responses that you guys have offered and making the decision much easier.

krazykam, I welcome you as a classmate. See you at orientation in July.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sliceOheaven:
•krazykam, I welcome you as a classmate. See you at orientation in July.•••••July? What about April 5th?

Is April 5th when the Housing Fair is supposed to be? Does anyone have any details on that because I don't think I have any info. about that.