NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
I was wondering if any of you guys are NYCOM students are have heard anything about NYCOM. I was wondering how the students liked the school. How did they like the area surrounding the school? Is NYCOM located in a large city or is it in a less of an urban area?

Dreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2001
Visit site
Status
NRAI2001 said:
I was wondering if any of you guys are NYCOM students are have heard anything about NYCOM. I was wondering how the students liked the school. How did they like the area surrounding the school? Is NYCOM located in a large city or is it in a less of an urban area?
The school is located on Long Island, about 35 miles from New York, and it could be called rural area, if not for the NY proximity. As for liking the school, look at the January-February discussions and you will see that some people hate the school, some people like it. I go by the motto 'Every place has its pluses and minuses', so I guess I sorta like the school

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
CA --> NY
Status
Medical Student
Dreamer said:
The school is located on Long Island, about 35 miles from New York, and it could be called rural area, if not for the NY proximity. As for liking the school, look at the January-February discussions and you will see that some people hate the school, some people like it. I go by the motto 'Every place has its pluses and minuses', so I guess I sorta like the school
I wouldn't say "rural," I guess "suburb" would be a more appropriate description. The school has it's good points (technology, exam and regular day schedule for the most part, the Stardardized Patient Program, the Institute for Clinical Competence, the rotations, close enough to NY) and bad points (cafeteria food is limited and expensive, housing is expensive, no Vietnamese restaurants around the area =P). Overall, I kinda like it here.

With all these in mind, I really believe that each person's experience and opinion will vary depending on the support system you build around you, especially during the real stressful times. I moved to Glen Cove all the way out from San Francisco, which is a HUUUUGE change. I'm lucky to have found great friends who I can study with, and at the same time, go out and have fun with. These make up for the fact that I'm so far away from home.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Dreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2001
Visit site
Status
I moved to Glen Cove all the way out from San Francisco, which is a HUUUUGE change. [/QUOTE]

It is suburban necause you are from San Francisco, I mean it is hard to find rural area there, unlike on Pacific Northwest. :)

Other than that I don't think you can say it any better regarding support system

HStoMS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Status
I just posted over in the pre-osteopathic forum, but I see you guys are from NYCOM. I am a prospective student in the BS/DO seven year program. Any thoughts on how the students fair in this program?

DOtally great

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2003
NY
Visit site
Status
i wouldnt call glencove rural at all....and im originally from NY...if you want rural you can go further out on L.I. then youll see rural, farms...etc.... in the beginning of the year I absolutely hated NYCOM but I grew thicker skin, developed as a student, and also some (few) things improved, especially the newer classes had better teachers and/or more fair exams....if you get in somewere else, thats closer and cheaper go there....or at least look into NYCOM a lil more to make a better decision.....

misyel

PGY-0
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
CA --> NY
Status
Medical Student
HStoMS said:
I just posted over in the pre-osteopathic forum, but I see you guys are from NYCOM. I am a prospective student in the BS/DO seven year program. Any thoughts on how the students fair in this program?
It doesn't matter if you're a BS/DOer, or a regular DOer, a former researcher or EMT, a liberal arts major or a science major: we all fare the same, it just depends how much QUALITY time you put into studying.