NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Im hoping some of you can help me out. I applied to NYCOM (my first and only choice) and they told me they were full but would be interviewing till mid-April. I applied late (Feb) and was wondering whether any current NYCOM students or those who were interviewed and accepted there could give me any info on their stats. My GPA is 3.6, have all the hospital experience volunteering and I currently work in the ICU. I got 2 DOs to write me letters, as well as MD's etc. All in all, my application was good.The only reason they wouldnt accept me is because my MCATs are below avg (7 for sciences and 6 verbal) Can anyone give me any advice regarding reapplication to NYCOM? What can I do to get accepted
besides improve on the MCATs? What should I do in the year that I wait to reapply?
Thankyou for all your help.

Rachel

Members don't see this ad.

That is a tough spot. I would highly recommend talking to the admissions people at NYCOM at see what THEY want you to do. All in all, I would not be suprised if they say take the MCAT again.

If you are not an in state resident forget about it without better MCATs. If you are an in state resident apply early next year and send them a letter telling them NYCOM is your first choice and explain why it is your first choice. You may want to send a letter like that this year also to the director of admissions. Why are you only applying to one school? That seems very risky especially if you have low MCATs. US news and World reports has school profiles including MCAT and GPA's about all DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure when you reapply, send in your application in early June. Your application is kind of late.

Do you intend to retake your MCAT and at least improve the science part? It will benefit you if your overall MCAT is higher.

Im a student there now. Why only NYCOM? Apply to other schools. Submit an app earlier next year and consider taking the MCAT again. Keep in touch with them and let them know that they are the only school you apllied to. However, apply to others next year and try to improve your MCAT score. Your GPA is good. My stats, 3.5, 30 after 2 tries. I start rotations in a few mos, its a decent school, but never put all your eggs in one basket. What ICU, where? Good luck

Im a student there now. Why only NYCOM? Apply to other schools. Submit an app earlier next year and consider taking the MCAT again. Keep in touch with them and let them know that they are the only school you apllied to. However, apply to others next year and try to improve your MCAT score. Your GPA is good. My stats, 3.5, 30 after 2 tries. I start rotations in a few mos, its a decent school, but never put all your eggs in one basket. What ICU, where? Good luck

I am a NY state resident and one of the reasons NYCOM is my first choice is because everything is here in NY. I live in Westchester currently and work in the ICU at a hospital near my home as a unit clerk. If I get into NYCOM, I was hoping to keep my job per diem on weekends and have some hands on experience with what I would be learning at school. Also, the docs that I work with (mostly MDs) are very supportive and give me as much hands on experience as they can. Ive heard NYCOM is a great school. I got the chance to go to NOVA but Im going to keep trying for NYCOM. I just wanted to know what I should do to improve my chances, besides taking the MCATs. Im very bad with standardized exams and Im trying to see if I can get in without having to take that dreaded exam again. Anything else you guys recommend? I REALLY MUST get into NYCOM! :-( Please help!

Rachel

If you got the chance to interview at NOVA and passed it up I hope you are willing to wait another year. Maybe not the best move but you know yourself better than anyone. Improve your MCAT. A 20 in my opinion is just too low and you should improve that at least 3 points.

Hi Rachel

I hope you can understand that once you are in medical school, your weekend will basically focus mainly in your books and notes. Occassionally you can go out and have fun. But work for a part time position, I really wonder if you have time to spare. If you give up any other acceptance and wait for NYCOM just to keep your job, maybe you are taking a high risk.

Rachel,
If you don't want your acceptance to NOVA, can I have it? I'm still waiting for my "acceptance letter."

I'm sorry Rachel, but if you were accepted to NOVA and are not going because you want to go to NYCOM, you are nuts. It is extremely hard to get into any medical school these days (especially with your MCAT scores, you may never get accepted again). There are many people with great GPAs and MCAT scores and they end up down in the Caribbean. If you are accepted to NOVA, for God's sake, go now. Nova seems like a good school too. Don't mean to lecture...but

I have to agree with the previous poster. If you have an acceptance from NOVA, I think you should take it. I know you have your heart set on NYCOM, but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Good luck to you.

Renee

Rachel,
Hi,I am a 2nd year at NYCOM. If you really must get into NYCOM, I recommend retaking the MCATs and go for 9 and 10s. Make sure you express that NYCOM is your only option and you were willing to refuse other offers. Learn as much as you can about the school and faculty and express this in your interview next year. I would like to point out that it would be almost impossible for you to take a full schedule at NYCOM and work part time. (I don't even have time to flush these days
wink.gif
GOOD LUCK

Personally, Consider NOVA.

Yeah, at NYCOM, it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to hold a weekend job since all the exams in the first year are on Mondays. I also heard that NYCOM has one of the most rigorous schedules of any med schools. Maybe that's why the student satisfaction rate is so low. On a good note, I also heard that we have one of the highest board scores of all the D.O. schools.

Hi Test Boy

How bad is the regular daily schedule in NYCOM? How many hours of lecture in one day?

Henry,

The daily schedule at NYCOM is pretty much 9-5 everyday, except on certain days when you have labs, then you could be out earlier. However, a lot of people skip lectures anyway. There's a lot of exams, at least one per week. Sometimes there is up to 3 per week with OMM and practicals in the middle of the week. We just finished a bad stretch where we had 6 exams/quizzes in 6 days (1 each day).

You CANNOT keep your weekend job while attending medical school; it is impossible. If you have been accepted to NOVA, GO!! I have heard it is a solid program. NYCOM has an extremely difficult program. Our pharmacology course runs longer and is more difficult than most, if not all and I wouold put it to par with the very best programs in the country, if not the world. Pathology is also very strong, as well as Anatomy. It is difficult. First year, 1 exam every Monday, second year, 1-2 every week. As far as improving you chances, the MCAT is the weak point, therefore improve it. Honestly, I doubt if the admissions committee will grant you an interview with a low score. They have thousands of apps (~7,000) per year and can and are choosy. I am not trying to discourage you by any means, but you need to take them again and improve significantly. Maybe take Kaplan or something.
All of our exams are standardized, board-style exams, much like the MCAT. There are no essays, etc. Therefore, you need to demonstrate proficiency in such an exam arena. I have seen good people, (one w/ a PhD in bio!) fall to the waste-side. Do not underestimate the curriculum and consider what you are going to undertake. Make provisions to avoid having to work, it is not feasable.

You CANNOT keep your weekend job while attending medical school; it is impossible. If you have been accepted to NOVA, GO!! I have heard it is a solid program. NYCOM has an extremely difficult program. Our pharmacology course runs longer and is more difficult than most, if not all and I wouold put it to par with the very best programs in the country, if not the world. Pathology is also very strong, as well as Anatomy. It is difficult. First year, 1 exam every Monday, second year, 1-2 every week. As far as improving you chances, the MCAT is the weak point, therefore improve it. Honestly, I doubt if the admissions committee will grant you an interview with a low score. They have thousands of apps (~7,000) per year and can and are choosy. I am not trying to discourage you by any means, but you need to take them again and improve significantly. Maybe take Kaplan or something.
All of our exams are standardized, board-style exams, much like the MCAT. There are no essays, etc. Therefore, you need to demonstrate proficiency in such an exam arena. I have seen good people, (one w/ a PhD in bio!) fall to the waste-side. Do not underestimate the curriculum and consider what you are going to undertake. Make provisions to avoid having to work, it is not feasable.