NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kat

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am moving from Chicago to New York this fall as I enter NYCOM. Where to live? The housing office has been of absolutely no help, as they are gered to their undergreaduate students. The only option they gave me was living in a single in the undergrad dorms, which are half hour away from the campus. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, are any future/current NYCOM students interested in getting together before August?

Hi wanna be do!

Thank you and Pat (who mailed separately) VERY much for responding. Since I got my hands on a first year student here , I think I will abuse you further- I am coming into NYC knowing NOONE under the age of 50 (my parents). Is it advisable to coop myself up into a rented room in someones apartment? Does the school allow the first years a time in which the class develops a herd mentality or is it all on their own there? From my impression during the interview, the students were very friendly. I would like to know what most people do- do they all rent individually in people's homes or do they find more students? Another option given by the housing office was the graduate dorm in the Islip campus. Does anyone do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you live in Manhattan and commute in. It will be more expensive but the train ride isn't that bad and it sure is exciting to be in Manhattan. That's what I will be doing if I attend.

Another question: I heard that NYCOM has a dress code students have to abide by- is this true? And what is it? I s it just lab coats or are jeans considered inappropriate?

hi there,

i was looking through the site to see who was going to be attending next year and if anybody was trying to organize some gatherings this summer. i will be starting nycom too this august and i'm curently living in NYC. so if there is anyone around, or anyone that will be coming soon and wants to get a head start at meeting other students, let me know.

and if anyone knows of a list of students looking for housing, or shared apartments or something, please let me know.

thanks and hope to hear/see you all soon.

fred b.

------------------

Wannna be DO, I have another question for you.... I am currently agonizing over the purchase of a PC. Assuming, of course, the school is not in the Mac world. Are there any machines that are recommended? Have you found the ownership/lack of computer worthwhile/miserable?

Websurfer- there is a housing office, believe it or not. It is ran by a little old lady called Dean Singer and her phone number is (516)686-7640. I do not live in the city and I have so far found her of very little help. But, she might hook you up with housing in someones home, which typically sounds like a decent idea, from what I have gathered aobut the prices and such. However, this seems to be what she specializes in- I brought up the idea of giving out the names of future students to other entering students for roommate arrangements, and she seems to have beeen completely puzzled and shocked by the idea. So go ib there and be specific of what you want. May the force be with you.

Another issue.... I just found out that NYCOM requires entering students to obtain laptops!!!!!!!!!!!
And although this was not news to the admissions lady;" oh yeah , we heard something about that", she couldnt tell me any of the specs on the machines we are supposed to purchase. I have been accepted there since October last year, and this is the first I have heard of it. Does anyone know what we are supposed to get?

Just to dispel any rumors I may have started here: the laptops are not required. You may have either a PC or a laptop, but the requirements seem to be pretty specific: 366 MHz celeron, 0r 300MHz PII or
PIII, at least 64Meg RAM, 15" monitor, CD-ROM, ZIP, min 4 gig hard drive (10 recommended),
56k Modem, Microsoft word, powerpoint, acrobat reader, netscape, realaudio player ...... judging from these, the laptop is out of the question unless you have about $3000 sitting around.

Another question: does anyone entering this year need a roommate? There seem to be some apartments in GlenCove on Brewster St. that look like a good deal.................... ?????????

I am going to be starting in august and have found an apartment and there is still a room available so i wanted to post this up. The land lord is really nice and the house is 10 min from school in a quite neighborhood.
ROSLYN HEIGHTS: 2 BDRMS in PRIVATE HOUSE: $750/Mnth INCLUDES UTILITIES
(Fully Furnished) Bed, Desk, Dresser, Cable, Wireless Internet. One bedroom has a Double sized bed, plus a large screen TV. AC in each room and Kitchen use.
(Public transportation within walking distance and available if necessary)
$750.00 a month/ willing to negotiate
CONTACT CAROL at (cell) 516 382-4299 or (home) 516 484-2013

NINO said:
I am going to be starting in august and have found an apartment and there is still a room available so i wanted to post this up. The land lord is really nice and the house is 10 min from school in a quite neighborhood.
ROSLYN HEIGHTS: 2 BDRMS in PRIVATE HOUSE: $750/Mnth INCLUDES UTILITIES
(Fully Furnished) Bed, Desk, Dresser, Cable, Wireless Internet. One bedroom has a Double sized bed, plus a large screen TV. AC in each room and Kitchen use.
(Public transportation within walking distance and available if necessary)
$750.00 a month/ willing to negotiate
CONTACT CAROL at (cell) 516 382-4299 or (home) 516 484-2013
This probably would be better posted under "Osteopathic/osteopathic class threads/NYCOM class of 2010" rather than reviving a 7 year old thread. :rolleyes: