MissGlassSir

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Question for NYCOM students/alumni: Why is there such a large disparity between the first-year class and the graduating class? When I interviewed, someone asked about the class size and the student tour guide said something like "The entering class is 250 and the graduating class is 170." I'm just throwing those numbers out there, but I remember it was about an 80-person difference. When I asked why she told me that people move on to other things, but at 60K+ a year that sounds like an incomplete answer, especially considering that allopathic schools don't take osteopathic transfers (and, since NYCOM is so prestigious, I doubt many people are transferring to other D.O. schools). I've never heard of so many medical students mysteriously disappearing from a class, except at the Carribean schools. So... Can anyone shed light on this?

radhika

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thats super wierd!!! i remember for undergraduate schools, a huge drop rate was usually associated with the course material being too difficlut so poeple flunked out or maybe it is financially too difficult for some students to stay. :confused:awesome u caught that!!!

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Question for NYCOM students/alumni: Why is there such a large disparity between the first-year class and the graduating class? When I interviewed, someone asked about the class size and the student tour guide said something like "The entering class is 250 and the graduating class is 170." I'm just throwing those numbers out there, but I remember it was about an 80-person difference. When I asked why she told me that people move on to other things, but at 60K+ a year that sounds like an incomplete answer, especially considering that allopathic schools don't take osteopathic transfers (and, since NYCOM is so prestigious, I doubt many people are transferring to other D.O. schools). I've never heard of so many medical students mysteriously disappearing from a class, except at the Carribean schools. So... Can anyone shed light on this?
Perhaps they have been increasing enrollment. So that when the class of 2010 enrolled they had 170 but when the class of 2014 enrolls they have a much bigger class.

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While I do not go to NYCOM, what can happen with classmates is failing a semester, so they drop back to the class behind. You also have people who have medical leave or some other reason (i.e. family issues) and choose to be part of the next class. You also may have a random person who decided to drop out, but those are not common.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
NYCOM has a strict dismissal policy. If you fail two classes, you're out. By med school standards, that's very strict. They also don't allow you to repeat the year the way some schools do. If you search the Osteo forum, you'll find someone who was dismissed from there and is now back in the game.

Also, as someone else said, some people drop out on their own or take a leave of absence and end up in another class.

And allo schools do take osteo transfers. You're mistaken about that.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
While I do not go to NYCOM, what can happen with classmates is failing a semester, so they drop back to the class behind.
You're only allowed two failed classes before dismissal.

MissGlassSir

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2007
Status
Medical Student
And allo schools do take osteo transfers. You're mistaken about that.[/QUOTE said:
WHO??? I've been looking and I've yet to see a school that does. Even UMDNJ's M.D. schools don't accept D.O. transfers, which is awkward considering they have a D.O. school.... Any places you know of?

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Transferring medical schools is rare in general. It takes the approval of both schools, solid grades, all of your old crap sent to them and an available slot. I don't know anyone that has gone from a DO to MD school, but in the rarest of circumstance it seems plausible.

thepoopologist

Ph.D in Clinical Meconium
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician

da Vincis World

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WHO??? I've been looking and I've yet to see a school that does. Even UMDNJ's M.D. schools don't accept D.O. transfers, which is awkward considering they have a D.O. school.... Any places you know of?
You can search the transfer policies of allo schools here: http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.search_policy

Just place a check by "Medical Students enrolled at Osteopathic Association-accredited medical schools" and click 'Search'

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Sunny South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
People transfer, however it's really rare. People are only accepted for really compelling reasons i.e. spouse relocated, need to be nearer a sick relative. The odds of transferring are really small, so don't count on it. Although GWU and Drexel perennially seem to have a few spots open and have taken Foreign med students into them.

Rollo

Renowned Wolf
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
While I do not go to NYCOM, what can happen with classmates is failing a semester, so they drop back to the class behind. You also have people who have medical leave or some other reason (i.e. family issues) and choose to be part of the next class. You also may have a random person who decided to drop out, but those are not common.
This is true. But still, do you think this really happened to 80 people? That is a huge number of people not making it until the end for whatever reason.

da Vincis World

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is true. But still, do you think this really happened to 80 people? That is a huge number of people not making it until the end for whatever reason.
Yeah, an 80 person difference sounds really odd. This has to be due to enrollment increase.

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
Status
Yeah, an 80 person difference sounds really odd. This has to be due to enrollment increase.
Whoever gave the OP those numbers had no clue what they were talking about. NYCOM has always started with ~ 300 (+/- 10). Last year's graduating class was 284. This is why we don't listen to what we've "heard" and pass it on as fact.

NYDOC112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status
NYCOM has been increasing its enrollment each year. The class of 2010, graduating this May only had about 190 students to start, 20 didn't make it and 170 are graduating, The current class, the class of 2013 started with 315 students. Only about 15 students fail out of each class, Its not bad, but the increases of enrollment make it look worse... Don't worry, NYCOM is a tough school, but they will help you to pass, if you do the work. Because its so hard, is why the graduates of NYCOM are so highly regarded in the Northeast.

NYDOC112

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Status
Thats probably true, Unless you live at home... Good Luck next year christina! and the class of 2014