NYCPM: Ask Current Students Anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josebiwasabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Now that the 2017 application cycle has opened up, I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers out there browsing the forums to learn more about the different podiatry schools. I'm a 2nd year student and there will also be a 3rd year student available to answer your questions about NYCPM!

In this thread, you can ask about anything you want to know about NYCPM. Hopefully we will be able to provide you with information that you can't find by simply reading brochures or the college website (www.nycpm.edu).

Our goal is to give you honest and objective answers.

Feel free to ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thoroughly considered adding NYCPM to my list of schools, but decided not to because of the cost of living, commuting, and distractions that NYC provides.

How do you cope with these things - especially if you are someone that isn't from a large city. I lived in Manhattan for a month and a half two summers ago, and I just couldn't bring myself to accept taking a subway everyday to class. How do you do it? How do you find time to focus on your studies? NYC is a fantastic place, and I would be too worried about all the distractions and events that would constantly be begging for my attention.

Another thought: It is often said that NYCPM pretty much has a monopoly on residencies/clerkships in the NYC area. While that is probably true, is the opposite true as well? If you go to NYCPM, will you have a hard time matching a residency that isn't on the east coast? (I could probably look up the match list, but I wouldn't be able to tell if someone from NYCPM that matches west coast got into a terrible program, or a good one, or just got lucky, etc etc.)

Thanks!

I thoroughly considered adding NYCPM to my list of schools, but decided not to because of the cost of living, commuting, and distractions that NYC provides.

How do you cope with these things - especially if you are someone that isn't from a large city. I lived in Manhattan for a month and a half two summers ago, and I just couldn't bring myself to accept taking a subway everyday to class. How do you do it? How do you find time to focus on your studies? NYC is a fantastic place, and I would be too worried about all the distractions and events that would constantly be begging for my attention.

Another thought: It is often said that NYCPM pretty much has a monopoly on residencies/clerkships in the NYC area. While that is probably true, is the opposite true as well? If you go to NYCPM, will you have a hard time matching a residency that isn't on the east coast? (I could probably look up the match list, but I wouldn't be able to tell if someone from NYCPM that matches west coast got into a terrible program, or a good one, or just got lucky, etc etc.)

Thanks!

Doesn't mean anything too significnt , but Inova has a resident from NYCPM. That being said - josebi can you share the residency match list for your school? I haven"t been able to find it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
josebiwasabi is good peoples! I'm grateful to have people like this around on the forums! :thumbup:

Thanks!
Hey there,

You definitely have a good point about living in the city. I have lived in some major metropolitan areas over the past few years, but moving to NYC was a huge change and it took me a little bit to adjust to city life. I actually live in the student housing, which is only 14 blocks south of NYCPM. I walk to school in the morning and usually stay until 9:30 or 11:00 at night and take the school shuttle van back home. (14 city blocks is roughly a 15 minute walk.)

My classmates that live further from the school do rely on public transportation to get to class daily. I personally don't really see that as a bad thing at all. In some ways it's actually better than driving because even if you have a 1hr commute, you can actually use that time to study if you want, since you don't have to focus on the road. Even though I don't ride the subway everyday, I would say that it's definitely a huge convenience and probably one of the pros about living in the city.

NYC does have a lot of distractions, but to be honest we don't really have time to be distracted. Our schedule is pretty packed and we have a busy exam schedule. For example this past week we had a pathology exam on Tuesday and an Infectious Disease exam today (Friday). We also had a pathology lab quiz this week. On top of that, we take 3 labs this semester on MTW: path/physical assessment/lower.

I usually go out and enjoy what the city has to offer or twice each month to keep myself sane, lol. I like the fact that when I do want to go out, the possibilities are essentially endless. You can do everything from watching amazing broadway musicals to eating new foods to exploring new bars/lounges. We also have world-class museums and other more touristy attractions that you won't find anywhere else. As long as a student is smart about managing their time, they can definitely succeed. I have friends that go out more often than me, and they are doing just fine academically. It's all about finding a good balance that works for you.

With regards to the residency thing, I'm pretty sure you're right about NYCPM having a strong presence for the local programs (and yes, there are a ton). As for your question about programs that aren't on the east coast, I'm honestly not too sure. My theory is that the vast majority of people at NYCPM are from the tri-state area, so when they go into residency they have no reason to leave the area. If you are a competitive applicant and do an externship at the program, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to match at a good program on the west coast. Personally, I plan on applying to west coast programs since I'm originally from Washington state and I went to undergrad in Los Angeles.

*edit*
For the residency match list, I'm not sure but I'll ask our dean of student services for that information.

Last edited:
Hey there,

You definitely have a good point about living in the city. I have lived in some major metropolitan areas over the past few years, but moving to NYC was a huge change and it took me a little bit to adjust to city life. I actually live in the student housing, which is only 14 blocks south of NYCPM. I walk to school in the morning and usually stay until 9:30 or 11:00 at night and take the school shuttle van back home. (14 city blocks is roughly a 15 minute walk.)

My classmates that live further from the school do rely on public transportation to get to class daily. I personally don't really see that as a bad thing at all. In some ways it's actually better than driving because even if you have a 1hr commute, you can actually use that time to study if you want, since you don't have to focus on the road. Even though I don't ride the subway everyday, I would say that it's definitely a huge convenience and probably one of the pros about living in the city.

NYC does have a lot of distractions, but to be honest we don't really have time to be distracted. Our schedule is pretty packed and we have a busy exam schedule. For example this past week we had a pathology exam on Tuesday and an Infectious Disease exam today (Friday). We also had a pathology lab quiz this week. On top of that, we take 3 labs this semester on MTW: path/physical assessment/lower.

I usually go out and enjoy what the city has to offer or twice each month to keep myself sane, lol. I like the fact that when I do want to go out, the possibilities are essentially endless. You can do everything from watching amazing broadway musicals to eating new foods to exploring new bars/lounges. We also have world-class museums and other more touristy attractions that you won't find anywhere else. As long as a student is smart about managing their time, they can definitely succeed. I have friends that go out more often than me, and they are doing just fine academically. It's all about finding a good balance that works for you.

With regards to the residency thing, I'm pretty sure you're right about NYCPM having a strong presence for the local programs (and yes, there are a ton). As for your question about programs that aren't on the east coast, I'm honestly not too sure. My theory is that the vast majority of people at NYCPM are from the tri-state area, so when they go into residency they have no reason to leave the area. If you are a competitive applicant and do an externship at the program, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to match at a good program on the west coast. Personally, I plan on applying to west coast programs since I'm originally from Washington state and I went to undergrad in Los Angeles.

*edit*
For the residency match list, I'm not sure but I'll ask our dean of student services for that information.

Excellent response - I really appreciate it!!!

Did the bridges change management? They used to have a website when I visited last year but dont anymore. NYCPM is where I am planning on going, so I am curious about the housing. Nothing I cant wait to find out though lol. Thanks for answering questions about the school.

Hello!

I'm the third year student from NYCPM here to answer your questions.

I did want to take a moment to boast some great news about NYCPM. My class recently received our board scores from Part 1 that we took July, 11th and we had a first time pass rate of 96%! (me included, yay!)

If you have any questions please don't hesistate to ask away!

Thanks!

Because you had a question about the residency match list, I have attached it here. This list comes from Student Serivces.

Attachments

• 2012 Residency Placement List.xlsx
    10.4 KB · Views: 618
Did the bridges change management? They used to have a website when I visited last year but dont anymore. NYCPM is where I am planning on going, so I am curious about the housing. Nothing I cant wait to find out though lol. Thanks for answering questions about the school.

I asked student services about this and NYCPM no longer has any units at The Bridges. The only student housing is at The Heritage. More information on that can be found here: http://www.nycpm.edu/housing.asp

Would you happen to know how many students failed to match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you happen to know how many students failed to match?
We had a 100% residency placement rate for the class of 2012. I believe 5 people failed to match and scrambled, but they all got residencies.
they could have had more than one student place in certain residencies
That is correct.

It has been rumored that NYCPM is ranked number one in tetris battle and ping pong...

can you confirm this?

If you dont mind, what was your MCAT score and GPA? How many hours of shadowing did you do before the interview?

can the students in the January program still participate in the mission trips? :xf:

Of course. Anyone can participate in the IPC (International Podiatry Club) mission trip to Mexico as long as you are part of the club. About 10 third year students go each year. A new mission trip was also started this year to India.

http://www.nycpm.edu/newsEvents/studentalumni2012c.pdf

This document talks about both mission trips this year.

I am a fourth year student at NYCPM and can answer any questions directed toward me.

"We had a 100% residency placement rate for the class of 2012."

Did people who did not graduate technically count towards residency placement?

"96% pass rate boards part one"

What percentage of your class (2014) actually sat down on July 11 and took the exam?

"We had a 100% residency placement rate for the class of 2012."

Did people who did not graduate technically count towards residency placement?

"96% pass rate boards part one"

What percentage of your class (2014) actually sat down on July 11 and took the exam?

All that qualified, meaning passed Part II, placed in residency. I believe our Part II pass was 98%.

All students are required to take the exam. 100% of 2014 sat for the exam. Students who do not pass nor take it by the second try are up for academic dismissal.

Hope that answers your questions!

Can I apply to both the January and September program? I can't add the September program in AACPMAS once I added the January one. Also, would it be too late to apply to the January program?

Is there a locker room or shower room in the gym or school?

How is the parking around the school? Does it have residential streets nearby for free parking?

Its not too late to apply for January.

The school has showers in the gym I believe. Every student is given a locker.

The school provides parking in lots around school for about $60 a month. There is street parking but parking in NYC on the street is ridiculous.

Is it true that NYCPM is a weed out school? I know that they have picked it up a bit on their admissions criteria but is it true that they only gave out 3 A's in anatomy last year? To any students there, how big did your class start out with and how many are remaining?

2013 went from 93 to 75. (Many dropped down to 2014)

The reason they are increasing admissions is because they do not want to lose students. Nothing here is curved; either you pass or you don't. Nothing stops the students from all passing except work ethic. Many professors/admin are not happy about losing that many students. They are also unwilling to make the curriculum very easy, as that does a disservice to the profession.

Anatomy is the hardest course. You are probably right about 3 A's (there are a bunch of A- though probably). In that course you are given a textbook (Gray's Anatomy) and you must know it cover to cover. Everything comes from that book word for word. Anatomy is more difficult at NYCPM than at some MD/DO schools. It also has radiology incorporated. You must be able to read cross sections of the abdomen, chest, head etc to be able to understand MRI's (we are tested on X ray, CT, and MRI in the course). That has served me very well.

how many of those students were asked to leave nycpm?

In orderwhatever to get an interview at a great residency what kind of a gpa do you need? And what else besides gpa goes into it?

Sorry about sentence above, meant to say 'in order to get an interview...'

Lol now looking at it, it's like a subliminal message

Its tough to say how many were asked to leave. When a student leaves, you often never hear from them again, so some mystery surrounds it. A few opted to leave on their own, a few were probably asked to leave. I really don't know.

To get an externship at a great residency you need above a 3.0 GPA. To get an interview, you should probably do well on that externship. On externships, people don't care too much about your GPA, because no one studied your CV the night before a tough surgery; they only care if you can perform well. I've heard some programs look at you like a number (your GPA) but I have not experienced this and do not know what programs those are.

The biggest other thing is probably research? People always say get some research in so you have something to talk about during interviews. Many people do not have research.

It has been rumored that NYCPM is ranked number one in tetris battle and ping pong...

can you confirm this?

I have also heard they are the school of the american eagle fighter pilot.

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

To the NYCPM students looking at this, I know you have been asked this a lot in interviews and the like, but what was it that drew the line that NYCPM is the one for you, I understand even if it is simple as the intuition that this is your "match" for you, but just curious how NYCPM made the cut.

As for few getting A's in anatomy I do not doubt that, other friends in MD/DO/PT struggled, but you are in good company everyone has a hard time in this course it seems.

How is the setup at The Heritage? Do they have single rooms or what is the layout of a typical room?

Since it is considered "student housing," is there some kind of discount because it is affiliated with the school or is the hotel life very expensive?

Just one question, I don't think it was brought up in the thread yet. Being a student at NYCPM, are you ever concerned about the crime rate in NYC? I feel like that would be the only thing that would stop me from going there.

Just one question, I don't think it was brought up in the thread yet. Being a student at NYCPM, are you ever concerned about the crime rate in NYC? I feel like that would be the only thing that would stop me from going there.

thus sayeth the person with an arms bearing avatar :naughty:. Just pulling your tail :laugh:

My questions:

Is there open anatomy lab time outside of regularly scheduled slots, that is, can I go to the lab at say, 6pm in the evening all by by lonesome, if I wish to?

Do NYCPM students have access to affiliated school facilities (Columbia, SUNY, etc)?

To the NYCPM students looking at this, I know you have been asked this a lot in interviews and the like, but what was it that drew the line that NYCPM is the one for you, I understand even if it is simple as the intuition that this is your "match" for you, but just curious how NYCPM made the cut.

As for few getting A's in anatomy I do not doubt that, other friends in MD/DO/PT struggled, but you are in good company everyone has a hard time in this course it seems.

My reasons were more logistics based.
  • NYCPM is close to home; reduces airfare when travelling home for the holidays
  • awesome metro/bus system (eliminates need for car and associated expenses).
  • In the same breath as the latter point; all the rotating hospitals are accessible by public transport
  • huge patient population = mad clinical exposure
  • main teaching clinic is adjacent to NYCPM (travel time is 3-4 secs) and in the heart of one of the largest diabetic population neighbourhoods in the US
  • Although NYC is one of/the most expensive city to live in, NYCPM tuition is the lowest amongst all podiatry schools to compensate for this fact. I visited other schools that were located in the boons and charged higher tuition than schools in metropolitan areas-very uncool imo. And a 'slow' clinic naturally follows a less densely populated region so clinical exposure (NOT necessarily clinical EXPERIENCE) diminishes. Scholl, for example, has a slow clinic but their clinical experience by many accounts is awesome. As a side note, thumbs up to DMU for their amazing curriculum and reputation, location in a VERY low cost-of-living area, and a super low tuition rate (2nd to NYCPM, I think)...you can't find a better deal than that!
  • NYC is wild! When you need to blow off some steam the options are endless!

'Fit' is a very important factor to consider, of course. But, like many threads of this nature before stated, for a decision as expensive as choosing where to study, it's in your best interest to temper your 'intuition' or 'gut feeling' with reason and logic.

Hi, I've been wanting to ask a podiatry student's opinion on my chances for entrance success in podiatry school. Here are my stats:
3.53 overall, 3.37 science, 18 and 17 MCAT's (V-5, PS-4, BS-9) and (V-1, PS-8, BS-8)
I know the weak pts are the composite and verbal scores, but I believe the biological and physical science scores will actually point out that I can do well on boards and critically think in sciences which should be more important anyway. If you will, please let me in on your opinion for it will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Was your verbal score a one or was that a typo?

As I'm sure you're well aware, your GPA is fine but your composite MCAT is definitely below average and that verbal score is a huge red flag. You seem to dismiss the verbal score as something unimportant but you will have to do a lot of reading in any doctoral level program.

I had good experiences at many of the schools I visited but NYCPM just seemed to be the best fit for me. As an ethnic minority, having diversity at the school was important to me. I've been able to get involved with the Asian American Podiatric Student Association. Academically, I think the clinic experience is unparalleled. Socially, the student body seemed to be very tight-knit and friendly with each other. Now that I've been at the school for 2 years, I think I can safely say that my initial impressions were accurate.

How is the setup at The Heritage? Do they have single rooms or what is the layout of a typical room?

Since it is considered "student housing," is there some kind of discount because it is affiliated with the school or is the hotel life very expensive?
There are a few different layouts in the heritage, depending on what building you're in. You will always have your own room. If you're in either of the towers, it's 3bed/1.5bath with a shared living room and kitchen. If you're in the Madison building it's a 5bed/2bath with a much larger living room and kitchen. Rent is cheaper in the Madison building but the towers have a much nicer looking building and lobby (35-floor tower looking over central park vs 11-floor rectangle lol).
There is a lot of crime in NYC but so far I haven't run into any problems nor have any of my friends in the past 2 years. If you live on the east side, the school provides a shuttle in the evenings (6:30, 9:30, 11:00) that stops at 110th (The Heritage) and 86th (another area where a lot of students choose to live).
thus sayeth the person with an arms bearing avatar :naughty:. Just pulling your tail :laugh:

My questions:

Is there open anatomy lab time outside of regularly scheduled slots, that is, can I go to the lab at say, 6pm in the evening all by by lonesome, if I wish to?

Do NYCPM students have access to affiliated school facilities (Columbia, SUNY, etc)?
Anatomy labs take place on T/Th from 2-6. Every T/Th immediately following lab from 6-8, there are open lab hours where you can view other cadavers (no dissection is allowed though). Also there are extra open lab hours during the weekend before an anatomy exam/practical.

As far as I know, we do not have access to other school facilities.

I look at the verbal as the least important out of the whole GPA/MCAT combo. If my GPA indicates that I'll do well in classes and my MCAT science scores indicate that I'll do well on boards, then why would my verbal keep me out of podiatry? I can obviously read and comprehend science subjects in a timely manner and do well with the questions, which is what the boards are about right? Where does verbal fit in?

yes the verbal really was a 1 the second attempt. It might've been a goof on the grader's behalf or I might've run out of time and didn't submit when time ran out and therefore it didn't get graded. I'm not sure. But everyone is looking at the 1 in verbal. Have you also considered everything else in my stats? The 5 in verbal the 1st time and the science scores? I don't see us reading about Shakespearan plays and anthropological finds in podiatry school. Now something physiological or pharmacological like you would find in the biological science section on MCAT, of course! But Idk, I've never been to podiatry school so what do I know? As I said in another post, I can obviously read and comprehend SCIENCE which should be more important for a healthcare professional school anyway, and my transcript/GPA indicating I can pass the classes well, what would be the REAL hold up?

I look at the verbal as the least important out of the whole GPA/MCAT combo. If my GPA indicates that I'll do well in classes and my MCAT science scores indicate that I'll do well on boards, then why would my verbal keep me out of podiatry? I can obviously read and comprehend science subjects in a timely manner and do well with the questions, which is what the boards are about right? Where does verbal fit in?

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting a 1 before. :wow:

PatchAdamsFan, I don't believe you fully read my last entry. Go back and read it and then see why ur entry doesn't really register for me.

Ferocity, I want ur feedback on whether u think I'd make it in podiatry with my stats overall. DON'T just look at the 1 in verbal. Look at the APPLICATION AS A WHOLE. That's what podiatry schools do right?

Getting back on track and away from the What are my Chances. Do most students stay in New York City for externships or clinicals or do many seem to go off to other areas?