NYCPM vs CSPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi! I've been accepted to NYCPM and CSPM for the Class of 2024. I'm super excited but am really confused as to where to go. I live about 2 hours away from Oakland so it's close to home which is great, but a large part of me wants to experience life in NYC as well. I know the first 2 years are very intense but maybe I'd get to explore 3rd and 4th year?

NYCPM pros:
  1. they're offering me a substantial scholarship where I would be saving about 80k in tuition alone over the 4 years, not factoring in cost of living, health insurance etc.
  2. I've been in California my entire life, and want to experience something new.
  3. clinical experience seen at the foot and ankle clinic in NYC
  4. Board passing rates and residency placement rates are slightly higher...SLIGHTLY
  5. more diverse class
NYCPM cons:
  1. moving across the country
  2. COVID
  3. curriculum
  4. larger class size
CSPM pros:
  1. Close to home, I already have family and friends, Much easier transition in terms of living
  2. Clinical experiences begin 2nd year
  3. smaller class size
CSPM cons:
  1. tuition is way more expensive; cost of living in Oakland and NYC are very similar from what I've seen
  2. slightly lower stats
  3. less diverse class

I would just appreciate any input, honestly. I was really excited to go to NY but then my family got to my head and now I just don't want to make a mistake!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough decision but do the math and figure out what you will be saving (if any) after you factor in the living expenses and rest of the charges by moving to NYCPM vs. staying in Cali. If you are still saving say 30-50K+ by attending NYCPM, then go for it. Also, factor in if you would be okay attending NYCPM and following their mandatory attendance policy for lectures.

It's great to save money, but it's also essential to be living around people you know...in an environment you can study/match to.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I've been accepted to NYCPM and CSPM for the Class of 2024. I'm super excited but am really confused as to where to go. I live about 2 hours away from Oakland so it's close to home which is great, but a large part of me wants to experience life in NYC as well. I know the first 2 years are very intense but maybe I'd get to explore 3rd and 4th year?

NYCPM pros:
  1. they're offering me a substantial scholarship where I would be saving about 80k in tuition alone over the 4 years, not factoring in cost of living, health insurance etc.
  2. I've been in California my entire life, and want to experience something new.
  3. clinical experience seen at the foot and ankle clinic in NYC
  4. Board passing rates and residency placement rates are slightly higher...SLIGHTLY
  5. more diverse class
NYCPM cons:
  1. moving across the country
  2. COVID
  3. curriculum
  4. larger class size
CSPM pros:
  1. Close to home, I already have family and friends, Much easier transition in terms of living
  2. Clinical experiences begin 2nd year
  3. smaller class size
CSPM cons:
  1. tuition is way more expensive; cost of living in Oakland and NYC are very similar from what I've seen
  2. slightly lower stats
  3. less diverse class

I would just appreciate any input, honestly. I was really excited to go to NY but then my family got to my head and now I just don't want to make a mistake!

It’s just my personal opinion but being close to your support system is important when going through a rigorous program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a tough decision but do the math and figure out what you will be saving (if any) after you factor in the living expenses and rest of the charges by moving to NYCPM vs. staying in Cali. If you are still saving say 30-50K+ by attending NYCPM, then go for it. Also, factor in if you would be okay attending NYCPM and following their mandatory attendance policy for lectures.

It's great to save money, but it's also essential to be living around people you know...in an environment you can study/match to.
I still would be saving about that much! I was surprised at how expensive the bay area was as well. My only concern with that is that I have to mainatin a GPA of 3.4. The scholarship would be a motivating factor but a lot of people are saying the grading system at NYCPM is very harsh.

It’s just my personal opinion but being close to your support system is important when going through a rigorous program.
A lot of people are saying the same haha. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me because I'm having a tough time accepting that to be a big enough reason to stay back :/

A lot of people are saying the same haha. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me because I'm having a tough time accepting that to be a big enough reason to stay back :/
Looks like you've already made up your mind.

I will tell you stats mean jacksh*t.

Board pass rates are extremely dependent on how hard you train and work to pass it.

Go where you won't regret.

Reactions: 3 users
I still would be saving about that much! I was surprised at how expensive the bay area was as well. My only concern with that is that I have to mainatin a GPA of 3.4. The scholarship would be a motivating factor but a lot of people are saying the grading system at NYCPM is very harsh.

If you didn't get a chance to visit NYCPM and NYC yet, I would suggest doing it before making a decision.
It is a bit difficult to travel right now, but I think seeing the campus and the dorm can help you more than what we say here. Good luck!

Attend the location where you think you‘d be happier attending and where you can make the most of your learning experience. But I guess you‘d have to visit the locations to have a better sense of where you can visual yourself for the next four years. Good luck w/ your decision!

Well in the end you gotta do what makes you happy, it’s just something to consider.

I attended a mandatory attendance SMP at a D.O school and it's no laughing matter. It sucks.

Reactions: 2 users