Nyhq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em0617

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Recently interviewed here. My take-away impression and a question.

PD: Very chill. Was with us for the entire day - morning presentation, tour of facility, interview. He's definitely a plus.
ED: A little run-down, but I suppose that's bound to happen when they see ~130,000 pts/year.
Ancillary staff: I take it this is an issue. Attendings and residents mentioned that you will be doing "some" of your own IVs, etc.
Patient pop: Underserved. Very diverse (in fact, ?most diverse county in US). On the other hand, they claimed on avg you will use the language line 5x/day - I imagine this is a conservative estimate, so it's probably more like 5-10x/day. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, just sayin...
Trauma: PD mentioned they see a good amount, but felt that more was required. Thus, a 1 month rotation at a trauma center in Miami (sorry, the name of which is escaping me at the moment).

All in all, this was a pretty strong program.

Question: Mentioned the place to an old established attending at my home institution and got the "head-scratch" response.

Besides the program being fairly new, is there anything else I've overlooked as a CON?

Kinda thought this place would have more notoriety.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know much about the program, ive heard good things. but I always look into program leadership. Ie program director and chairman.
FYI this chairperson sixsmith has been censored by acep.

rotated through this dept. residents are all brilliant, drawing some of your labs truly only means SOME of your labs. This is not because the ancillary staff is not good, they are just overworked. Procedure wise the residents did some of the best work i've seen.

in regards to leadership- PD is amazing from all accounts, and from the time i have spent with him. Department chair does have a bit of a reputation though...I've heard she's testified in court against fellow ER docs as a character witness quite a few times. Outside of the hospital I don't think she's great, within the hospital thoough and working for her ED I definitely don't think she is a problem and works hard to get the department what it needs.

overall, loved the program, plan to rank it fairly high.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rotated there as well. Definitely not nearly as bad in terms of lack of ancillary staff and having to do everything yourself as other NYC hospitals I've been at. That being said, it is still an NYC hospital, they're still lacking for some resources, and you will have to do your own stuff some of the time. The ED physically is not so bad, they're in the process of redoing it. If you saw the green section, it was completely redone and thats how they plan to do the other section. Fast track area is brand new as well, and they're about to open an obs unit.

NYHQ had some of the sickest population I've ever seen. Seemed like there were constant septic shock pts, codes, bleeds etc... Not too much trauma, though they're pretty much at the intersection of two major highways (LIE and Van Wyck) so you do see some blunt trauma. Not much penetrating as the area around the hospital is pretty safe.

PM me if you want to know more about them

I do not know much about the program, ive heard good things. but I always look into program leadership. Ie program director and chairman.
FYI this chairperson sixsmith has been censored by acep.

What exactly does censoring mean/entail? I haven't heard of it prior to this thread.

This might be getting off topic. Here is acep policy
http://www.acep.org/content.aspx?id=33698

Basically if you say something ridiculous, like out of control, you can get censored. One example is an emergency physician, stated he would never discharge a pt on crutches in the rain, snow or inclement weather. This is what money hungry people with no morals say to make a buck.
An entirely separate issue is that, I've heard, is that judges don't let juries know if the expert as been censored.

This might be getting off topic. Here is acep policy
http://www.acep.org/content.aspx?id=33698

Basically if you say something ridiculous, like out of control, you can get censored. One example is an emergency physician, stated he would never discharge a pt on crutches in the rain, snow or inclement weather. This is what money hungry people with no morals say to make a buck.
An entirely separate issue is that, I've heard, is that judges don't let juries know if the expert as been censored.

Hm... I wonder if that has affected its residents getting jobs? Usually the Chairman is the one that makes phone calls and writes letters for you.