Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NYIT BS/DO

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Gauravvv, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Gauravvv

i just wanted to ask people in the NYIT 7 year BS/DO program some questions about the school.
    What do all of you think of the program
    How is the life outside the science labs, how is the social life of BS/DO's (any DESIs????)
    and lastly, is it possible to apply to another med school, be it osteopathic or allopathic, after the three years at NYIT?
    thanks ;) --> :confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER

Resident [Any Field]
    alot of desi's...too many actually.....

4. DrWBD

DrWBD Formerly 'wanna_be_do'
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    The BS/DO at NYIT program is something like 90% desi; it's ridiculous :D

Re: your question about the undergraduate degree: you don't actually get the undergraduate degree until after your 1st year at NYCOM! This is intentional, to keep people from dropping out of the program, I suppose. You are resttricted to one major (the pre-medical major) which is absolutely worthless if you realize later in your college experience that you have an interest in, say, law or business.

-wanna_be_DO

P.S. You don't have to post a new topic everytime you want to talk about the BS/DO program. Just respond to the one you already created, it will be pushed back up to the top of the posting list every time someone replies so people can keep track of whatever thread they want to follow. :)

5. Gauravvv

Thanks for the tip, im new here and discovered this site by mistake.

After some serious thought, I decided to enroll at NYIT for their BS/DO program. I know this is gonna sound like im only becoming a doctor for the money, which isnt true, but can any one point out a site which shows a DOs salary? I just want to make some comparisons in regards to MDs.

Also, in this summer leading up to my first year at NYIT, should i do anything special to prepare for this pre-med program?

6. JP2005

Resident [Any Field]
    nah you dont need to do anything to prepare for the undergrad portion...just enjoy your summer...by the way ill be up at NYCOM this year (1st yr)...i was a BS/DO....

7. BrooklynDO

BrooklynDO Senior Member

Hey I happen to be one of the few non-desi people in the BSDO program. So yea i learned how to eat spicy food...room mate was west indian.... The program is OK, dont need to do anything special. It would have been a good idea to take ap chem in hs..which i didnt, bad me.
    Anyway be aware that the program is essentially a trap since its a hassle to get out of it if you want to, so dont go here with plans to transfer out. Dont worry what people say about the proffesors...those with the most horrror stories about them might be good to you...experience it yourself.
    And GOOD LUCK btw e mail me if you like

8. oceana

oceana Member

, but can any one point out a site which shows a DOs salary? I just want to make some comparisons in regards to MDs.

Gaurav-- the salaries for DO's and MD's are essentially the same since both apply for the same positions, whether it be residents or attendings.

9. Gauravvv

For this 7 Year Program, a score of 24 has to be obtained on the MCAT before the third year.

When should an incoming freshman start studying?
    should i start this summer, before i start college?? :confused:

10. Study MCAT as you study for your classes; you'll be taking it in the spring of your sophomore year. You need a 24 MCAT and a 3.3 overall / 2.7 sciences. NSUCOM 7-yr. program, for example, requires that you score within 5% of the mean, I believe.

11. JP2005

Resident [Any Field]
    24 is not difficult...u should start studyin jan of sophmore year....thas what i did..took the april exam and rocked it.....

12. ychromosome

ychromosome Junior Member

ummmm.. i apologize if i'm not down w/ the lingo, but what's a "desi?"

13. Gauravvv

a desi is a person from India or of Indian descent

14. How exactly is it pronounced? Some people say 'de-see', but someone recently told me it was 'day-see'?

15. Gauravvv

i say it "day-see"

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Ah! Thanks a lot! Now I won't look stupid when I say it :D