NYIT BS/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauravvv

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just wanted to ask people in the NYIT 7 year BS/DO program some questions about the school.
What do all of you think of the program
How is the life outside the science labs, how is the social life of BS/DO's (any DESIs????)
and lastly, is it possible to apply to another med school, be it osteopathic or allopathic, after the three years at NYIT?
thanks ;) --> :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

alot of desi's...too many actually.....

The BS/DO at NYIT program is something like 90% desi; it's ridiculous :D

Re: your question about the undergraduate degree: you don't actually get the undergraduate degree until after your 1st year at NYCOM! This is intentional, to keep people from dropping out of the program, I suppose. You are resttricted to one major (the pre-medical major) which is absolutely worthless if you realize later in your college experience that you have an interest in, say, law or business.

-wanna_be_DO

P.S. You don't have to post a new topic everytime you want to talk about the BS/DO program. Just respond to the one you already created, it will be pushed back up to the top of the posting list every time someone replies so people can keep track of whatever thread they want to follow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tip, im new here and discovered this site by mistake.

After some serious thought, I decided to enroll at NYIT for their BS/DO program. I know this is gonna sound like im only becoming a doctor for the money, which isnt true, but can any one point out a site which shows a DOs salary? I just want to make some comparisons in regards to MDs.

Also, in this summer leading up to my first year at NYIT, should i do anything special to prepare for this pre-med program?

nah you dont need to do anything to prepare for the undergrad portion...just enjoy your summer...by the way ill be up at NYCOM this year (1st yr)...i was a BS/DO....

Hey I happen to be one of the few non-desi people in the BSDO program. So yea i learned how to eat spicy food...room mate was west indian.... The program is OK, dont need to do anything special. It would have been a good idea to take ap chem in hs..which i didnt, bad me.
Anyway be aware that the program is essentially a trap since its a hassle to get out of it if you want to, so dont go here with plans to transfer out. Dont worry what people say about the proffesors...those with the most horrror stories about them might be good to you...experience it yourself.
And GOOD LUCK btw e mail me if you like

, but can any one point out a site which shows a DOs salary? I just want to make some comparisons in regards to MDs.

Gaurav-- the salaries for DO's and MD's are essentially the same since both apply for the same positions, whether it be residents or attendings.

For this 7 Year Program, a score of 24 has to be obtained on the MCAT before the third year.

When should an incoming freshman start studying?
should i start this summer, before i start college?? :confused:

Originally posted by Gaurav Masala:
•For this 7 Year Program, a score of 24 has to be obtained on the MCAT before the third year.

When should an incoming freshman start studying?
should i start this summer, before i start college?? :confused:

Study MCAT as you study for your classes; you'll be taking it in the spring of your sophomore year. You need a 24 MCAT and a 3.3 overall / 2.7 sciences. NSUCOM 7-yr. program, for example, requires that you score within 5% of the mean, I believe.

24 is not difficult...u should start studyin jan of sophmore year....thas what i did..took the april exam and rocked it.....

ummmm.. i apologize if i'm not down w/ the lingo, but what's a "desi?"

a desi is a person from India or of Indian descent

Originally posted by Gaurav Masala:
•a desi is a person from India or of Indian descent•

How exactly is it pronounced? Some people say 'de-see', but someone recently told me it was 'day-see'?

i say it "day-see"