NYITCOM Arkansas questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mamsag12

Reaction score
Recently accepted to NYIT-AR and have heard many issues people have had or are currently having. Is Anyone familiar with Attrition rate, remediation, support of school, communication/transparency of school with students? I have heard many different people have some of these similar issues with the institutional and this has me questioning my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently accepted to NYIT-AR and have heard many issues people have had or are currently having. Is Anyone familiar with Attrition rate, remediation, support of school, communication/transparency of school with students? I have heard many different people have some of these similar issues with the institutional and this has me questioning my decision.
I only interviewed here so don't put too much weight on what I am about to say, but;

My interview here was the worst thing I have ever experienced honestly, everything about it was out of whack. The admissions director lady (i know her name but not gonna use it) was highly unprofessional and refused to answer straight forward questions, and the Student Ambassadors didn't do the school any favors. This was the first school that I was accepted to for the longest time, and I was dreading attending. I even debated on not attending and trying again which is a terrible idea but thought that I could at least explain it if asked about.

Now, my interview day is a n=1 experience and may mean ABSOLUTELY nothing. But I was also not a big fan of several things; most of the lectures came from NY, you study all block to take 1 or 2 or 3 comprehensive huge exams and that to - if i recall correctly - there was no guaranteed remediation...if you failed it was reviewed whether or not you could continue, and there were whispers of attrition being poor which turns out was correct. Finally, the school is outrageously expensive to be in the south especially in Arkansas.

Those things for me were huge red flags that just piled on and on. If it is your only acceptance though, I would say take it, run it with, and do the absolute best that you can do. Nothing in medicine is guaranteed. There is no guarantee you get accepted next year, or the year after, or so on and so forth.

Reactions: 1 users
I only interviewed here so don't put too much weight on what I am about to say, but;

My interview here was the worst thing I have ever experienced honestly, everything about it was out of whack. The admissions director lady (i know her name but not gonna use it) was highly unprofessional and refused to answer straight forward questions, and the Student Ambassadors didn't do the school any favors. This was the first school that I was accepted to for the longest time, and I was dreading attending. I even debated on not attending and trying again which is a terrible idea but thought that I could at least explain it if asked about.

Now, my interview day is a n=1 experience and may mean ABSOLUTELY nothing. But I was also not a big fan of several things; most of the lectures came from NY, you study all block to take 1 or 2 or 3 comprehensive huge exams and that to - if i recall correctly - there was no guaranteed remediation...if you failed it was reviewed whether or not you could continue, and there were whispers of attrition being poor which turns out was correct. Finally, the school is outrageously expensive to be in the south especially in Arkansas.

Those things for me were huge red flags that just piled on and on. If it is your only acceptance though, I would say take it, run it with, and do the absolute best that you can do. Nothing in medicine is guaranteed. There is no guarantee you get accepted next year, or the year after, or so on and so forth.
I have no personal experience with the Arkansas campus, so I can't personally say much. But what I have bolded, I can help clarify since OW and JB exams are and should be the same.

Every block we have a pre-comprehensive exam and and comprehensive exam. Pre-comprehensive exams are slightly shorter version AND weighs only 2.5% (may change in future). Comprehensive exams are slightly longer and weighs 22.5% (also may be subject to change in future). There were 4 pre-comp and 4 comp exams. 1 pre-comp and comp for each block. The exams are usually 1-2 hours long with question amounts ranging from 60-100.

In terms of remediation, there isn't remediation for each exam you fail. You only remediate if your OVERALL average is below the cut off (69.5 - 70%). So if you high pass 2 exams and fail another 2 exams, you'll only remediate if the average of all 4 is less than the cut off.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have no personal experience with the Arkansas campus, so I can't personally say much. But what I have bolded, I can help clarify since OW and JB exams are and should be the same.

Every block we have a pre-comprehensive exam and and comprehensive exam. Pre-comprehensive exams are slightly shorter version AND weighs only 2.5% (may change in future). Comprehensive exams are slightly longer and weighs 22.5% (also may be subject to change in future). There were 4 pre-comp and 4 comp exams. 1 pre-comp and comp for each block. The exams are usually 1-2 hours long with question amounts ranging from 60-100.

In terms of remediation, there isn't remediation for each exam you fail. You only remediate if your OVERALL average is below the cut off (69.5 - 70%). So if you high pass 2 exams and fail another 2 exams, you'll only remediate if the average of all 4 is less than the cut off.
Can you talk at all about school support? Board prep, ect... from what I’m hearing, basically you are on your own from day 1 with little to no guidance.

I think the general rule of thumb should be to avoid any school with two completely different state names in their tittle.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I was also accepted there this cycle and ultimately dropped after getting into my top choice, but it was my only A for awhile so I can relate to how you are feeling

While I actually enjoyed the interview and thought the students seemed warm and friendly what really worried me was the clinical situation/ surrounding area. The reality is that Arkansas is quickly becoming oversaturated with medical schools, as there are now 3 in the state, with 3 more just over the border. I understand that their mission is to get more doctors for the state but that I just way too many schools for a state with only ~3 million people, and now you have hundreds of students each year competing for only a handful of good rotation spots and local residency programs. This is especially relevant with step 1 going p/f, as it will be more important than ever to make good clinical connections, which would be difficult in a place like Arkansas.

Also, I felt that the administration was overly obsessed with money, as after I got accepted all they did was demand I pay random fees + full tuition months in advance (threatening I would lose my seat if I didn't). No congratulations or welcoming, just money demands.

Anyway I hope this was helpful to you, and while I personally love the state of Arkansas and have lots of family there, I probably would've reapplied if I didn't get in elsewhere

While I actually enjoyed the interview and thought the students seemed warm and friendly what really worried me was the clinical situation/ surrounding area. The reality is that Arkansas is quickly becoming oversaturated with medical schools, as there are now 3 in the state, with 3 more just over the border. I understand that their mission is to get more doctors for the state but that I just way too many schools for a state with only ~3 million people, and now you have hundreds of students each year competing for only a handful of good rotation spots and local residency programs. This is especially relevant with step 1 going p/f, as it will be more important than ever to make good clinical connections, which would be difficult in a place like Arkansas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AR has ARCOM, NYITCOM-AR and U of AR right? 3 schools seems a good number to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AR has ARCOM, NYITCOM-AR and U of AR right? 3 schools seems a good number to me.
Yes you are correct. I should have specified that only one of those 3 schools has a teaching hospital with residency positions, however. leading me to believe that it may be more challenging for graduates of all 3 schools to secure clinical experience/ residencies.

There are also 3 other medical schools that are very close to Arkansas geographically- in Memphis, Tulsa and Shreveport that cater to largely the same market.

I'm not sure if my line of thinking here is truly accurate, perhaps somebody with more knowledge can correct me.

Hello there. Current OMS-1 going on to OMS-2. I can answer all of your questions, but I have to answer through PM.