Program-Specific Info / Q's NYIT OT 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gina2493

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else going to be starting at NYIT this coming may (2017) ? i just got accepted today

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I'm still waiting. When was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It was Jan 9th. When was yours?
Hey Gina congrats on your acceptance! I also interviewed on jan 9th! Was your interview 9 am? Mine was 9 am to 1 pm.

I'm so nervous I didn't hear back yet. I know it's different for everyone but I hope I hear something, especially since you heard back so early!

Hey Gina congrats on your acceptance! I also interviewed on jan 9th! Was your interview 9 am? Mine was 9 am to 1 pm.

I'm so nervous I didn't hear back yet. I know it's different for everyone but I hope I hear something, especially since you heard back so early!

I also didn't give them an updated transcript because I had one pending class so the secretary said to email her the unofficial copy yesterday which I did. Maybe that's why I didn't hear back. I hope I hear back soon!!

Thanks! And mine was actually 2-4. And I know I was really surprised how fast I heard back. I heard they like to do things pretty quick so I'm sure you'll hear something soon! Have you been accepted anywhere else?

I also didn't give them an updated transcript because I had one pending class so the secretary said to email her the unofficial copy yesterday which I did. Maybe that's why I didn't hear back. I hope I hear back soon!!
Hm that could be why if it was a prerequisite !

Thanks! And mine was actually 2-4. And I know I was really surprised how fast I heard back. I heard they like to do things pretty quick so I'm sure you'll hear something soon! Have you been accepted anywhere else?
Thank you I hope so too! That's good to know that they like to do things quick. I'm getting so anxious lol. No, I'm still waiting to interview for the rest of the schools that I applied to. How about you?

Hm that could be why if it was a prerequisite !
Yup, it was a pre-req so maybe that's why. Now that they have my unofficial version hopefully I'll hear back soon. The secretary said it could be up to a few weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Yup, it was a pre-req so maybe that's why. Now that they have my unofficial version hopefully I'll hear back soon. The secretary said it could be up to a few weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Yeah I've been anxious since I submitted all the applications lol. And I got wait-listed at hofstra and Philadelphia university but I told them both I'm already going to another school. I haven't heard from the other like 6 schools though. I hope you don't have to wait weeks and hear back soon! Maybe well end up being classmates haha

Yeah I've been anxious since I submitted all the applications lol. And I got wait-listed at hofstra and Philadelphia university but I told them both I'm already going to another school. I haven't heard from the other like 6 schools though. I hope you don't have to wait weeks and hear back soon! Maybe well end up being classmates haha
Haha yes I hope I hear soon! I'm going to apply to Hofstra and stony this weekend since their due date isn't until February and I had some things to finish up. I have an interview at sacred heart and waiting to hear from university of the sciences. That would be cool to end up being classmates! Haha

Haha yes I hope I hear soon! I'm going to apply to Hofstra and stony this weekend since their due date isn't until February and I had some things to finish up. I have an interview at sacred heart and waiting to hear from university of the sciences. That would be cool to end up being classmates! Haha
Oh sounds great good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance Gina! I think we were at the same interview!
Will you be attending in May?
Thank you! And oh really? That's so funny haha have you heard back?

By the way, do you know why you got waitlisted at Hofstra?

By the way, do you know why you got waitlisted at Hofstra?
No they didn't say. I have a feeling I didn't have enough volunteer hours as other people maybe. I had like 175 And met people who had like 400+ lol

No they didn't say. I have a feeling I didn't have enough volunteer hours as other people maybe. I had like 175 And met people who had like 400+ lol
Oh haha. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get in!

Hey Gina, my interview was also on Jan 9th at 9 am. I am surprised I haven't heard back yet. I''m hoping they let me know soon. I really would like to attend NYIT its so close to home. The wait is a real killer.

Does anyone know how many seats are in the program? I know they have a undergraduate program as well but how many seats are given to the ppl applying through OTCAS?

Does anyone know how many seats are in the program? I know they have a undergraduate program as well but how many seats are given to the ppl applying through OTCAS?
Hi, I think there are about 40-45 seats for the graduate program. I remember one of the professors telling us that during the interview. Have you been accepted to the nyit program?

Hey Gina, my interview was also on Jan 9th at 9 am. I am surprised I haven't heard back yet. I''m hoping they let me know soon. I really would like to attend NYIT its so close to home. The wait is a real killer.
Hey, just saw your post. I think we were in the same batch for the interview because mine was also jan 9th at 9 am! I'm waiting to hear back as well. I hope they let us know soon! I'm getting so nervous :/

Hi everyone! I was trying to find a thread for the OT program for the summer 2017 start date. I dont know if anyone was in the interview group as me (I went January 17), but I was accepted! They actually got back to me within a few days, but they said they may take a 2-3 weeks, so if you havent heard that is definitely ok. But I am very excited! I am still waiting to hear back from a the programs in New Jersey, since that is where I am from, but as of now I will be going to NYIT. I was going to ask anyone if they knew about housing? I was trying to find places where grad students may be living, or how you would find roomates and all of that? I just wanted an idea of prices and all of that. Good luck to everyone that hasnt heard back yet!

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you think they are waiting for people to pay the deposit. I hope they let us know before then. I'm kinda getting nervous.

Hi everyone! I was trying to find a thread for the OT program for the summer 2017 start date. I dont know if anyone was in the interview group as me (I went January 17), but I was accepted! They actually got back to me within a few days, but they said they may take a 2-3 weeks, so if you havent heard that is definitely ok. But I am very excited! I am still waiting to hear back from a the programs in New Jersey, since that is where I am from, but as of now I will be going to NYIT. I was going to ask anyone if they knew about housing? I was trying to find places where grad students may be living, or how you would find roomates and all of that? I just wanted an idea of prices and all of that. Good luck to everyone that hasnt heard back yet!
Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm also waiting to hear back my interview was on jan 9th. Hoping to hear soon I'm getting anxious!

oh I'm surprised you haven't heard yet, I would try calling them.

hey congratulations! I'm excited to start there too! i'm from staten island and am so stressed over this housing situation. I was told from the housing department that the summer housing has no air conditioning or kitchen, and the meal plan is extremely limited and theres also no shuttle from the dorms to the campus so that's a huge deal for me. i'm looking into apartments in the area too but theyre so expensive as well. however I do think that in the long run an apartment would be the best bet; a guarantee of a room without having to apply multiple times with no guarantee of a room, and a guarantee of no roommate (if that's what you want like me, I do not want a roommate in a dorm lol). I just think the student housing is way too expensive especially with the meal plan. its like 8,000 per semester not included in tuition

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you think they are waiting for people to pay the deposit. I hope they let us know before then. I'm kinda getting nervous.
its possible theyre waiting to see who will pay the deposit. when I was accepted they said I had until march 1st to send the deposit otherwise my spot would be given to someone else.

also just for everyone accepted; i'm definitely not into the idea of having a roommate in the dorms, theyre so small and I can only imagine that it would be too hard for me to study in there, in a whole suite of people. if anyone going there wants to get an apartment like I do, I wouldn't mind having a roommate in an apartment so long as we talked and met haha

oh I'm surprised you haven't heard yet, I would try calling them.
Hey guys I tried calling them - they said they are still doing interviews and deciding for acceptances so it could be a few weeks. It sucks that it's taking so long for us...

Hey guys I tried calling them - they said they are still doing interviews and deciding for acceptances so it could be a few weeks. It sucks that it's taking so long for us...
well hey at least on the bright side you haven't gotten rejected, so youre still in the running!

well hey at least on the bright side you haven't gotten rejected, so youre still in the running!
Yes Thanks haha that helps! I'm def taking that as a positive. I hope we hear something soon and it's good news haha

Yes Thanks haha that helps! I'm def taking that as a positive. I hope we hear something soon and it's good news haha
haha yes hopefully we'll end up being classmates!

Reactions: 1 user

I think I was sitting next to you during the interview! haha. I haven't received any information but I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected. I'm not a great interviewer so that's gonna really hurt me.

Question, you mentioned in other posts that you really liked the school. I came away from the interview with a different impression. I didn't really like the fact that they charge NYU and Columbia prices because, to be honest, I never heard of this school before applying. It seemed to me like they knew they could get away with charging over 100K because of the competitiveness of OT programs in general. Of course, if it's the only school I get into, I will obviously go...but it's kind of a bummer to fork out all that money and be in debt for years.

I think I was sitting next to you during the interview! haha. I haven't received any information but I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected. I'm not a great interviewer so that's gonna really hurt me.

Question, you mentioned in other posts that you really liked the school. I came away from the interview with a different impression. I didn't really like the fact that they charge NYU and Columbia prices because, to be honest, I never heard of this school before applying. It seemed to me like they knew they could get away with charging over 100K because of the competitiveness of OT programs in general. Of course, if it's the only school I get into, I will obviously go...but it's kind of a bummer to fork out all that money and be in debt for years.
haha oh that's so funny!

and yeah I definitely agree 100% this is a very expensive school. however, it's a private school so the prices are consistent with other private schools. so far this is the only place I've gotten accepted, and even though I do really want to go there, i'm so worried about the extra housing expenses. so i'm waiting it out with liu to see if I might get in there so I could just commute cause it's so easy to get to for me. so we'll see! but i'm pretty sure i'll just tough it out and stick with nyit.

Has anyone found out anything from nyit yet? I'm still waiting :/

hey congratulations! I'm excited to start there too! i'm from staten island and am so stressed over this housing situation. I was told from the housing department that the summer housing has no air conditioning or kitchen, and the meal plan is extremely limited and theres also no shuttle from the dorms to the campus so that's a huge deal for me. i'm looking into apartments in the area too but theyre so expensive as well. however I do think that in the long run an apartment would be the best bet; a guarantee of a room without having to apply multiple times with no guarantee of a room, and a guarantee of no roommate (if that's what you want like me, I do not want a roommate in a dorm lol). I just think the student housing is way too expensive especially with the meal plan. its like 8,000 per semester not included in tuition

Thanks, you too. But yeah they pretty much said housing on campus may also not be what you want to do just because different lifestyles of the undergrads also. So I am probably going to look for apartments or something, but definitely expensive also. I am just not sure where the best town or area would try to be, and I would rather not live by myself in an apartment obviously, but I know some people may. So I am still trying to figure out what to do!

Thanks, you too. But yeah they pretty much said housing on campus may also not be what you want to do just because different lifestyles of the undergrads also. So I am probably going to look for apartments or something, but definitely expensive also. I am just not sure where the best town or area would try to be, and I would rather not live by myself in an apartment obviously, but I know some people may. So I am still trying to figure out what to do!
that's how I feel, who knows what the other students in the dorm would be doing all the time when we need to study so much. I've been looking into apartments within 10 miles and they are definitely expensive and i'm not sure how id pay for the rent and everything. I would rather live by myself in an apartment, but a roommate also in the program would be a pretty good idea I think.

hey so I actually spoke to the student housing office today. they said since I applied already for the summer housing (and for the fall/spring) that i'm most likely going to get a single room. they said that the summer semester usually has hardly any students in the dorm so if you apply for it asap i'm sure youll get a single room too. for the fall and spring they said I applied really early and will most likely get a single room. they also said they only put grad students in a suite they never mix with undergrads, and they try their best to put the same graduate majors together in a suite as well. so I was feeling a lot better after that conversation. hopefully this helps you too!

Got accepted today via email!! This has been three years in the making for me with taking prerequisites, volunteering, completing applications and being rejected from schools last year. I'm so happy that at least one school has said yes to me! I interviewed on January 9th with @gina2493. The email says I have to tell them if I will/won't be attending by Feb 6th or they will move on to people on the waitlist. I will accept and bite the bullet and pay the $1500 deposit (yikes) but still wait to hear from other schools in case a cheaper school comes through. Good luck to everyone. Stay positive!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted today via email!! This has been three years in the making for me with taking prerequisites, volunteering, completing applications and being rejected from schools last year. I'm so happy that at least one school has said yes to me! I interviewed on January 9th with @gina2493. The email says I have to tell them if I will/won't be attending by Feb 6th or they will move on to people on the waitlist. I will accept and bite the bullet and pay the $1500 deposit (yikes) but still wait to hear from other schools in case a cheaper school comes through. Good luck to everyone. Stay positive!!
Wow that's awesome! Congratulations!!! I'm still waiting to hear from them - interviewed the same day as you guys jan 9th but at 9 am. I'm getting anxious but trying my best to stay positive! OTCAS just approved my academic updated which included a pre requisite for nyit...really hope I hear something soon!

Wow that's awesome! Congratulations!!! I'm still waiting to hear from them - interviewed the same day as you guys jan 9th but at 9 am. I'm getting anxious but trying my best to stay positive! OTCAS just approved my academic updated which included a pre requisite for nyit...really hope I hear something soon!

Thanks! I think the process is taking a long time because they have to hear back from students with either yes/no. I think you might expect to hear from them next week (I'm assuming they sent acceptances to a couple people...wait to hear back...send out another wave) I think you have a great shot of getting in!!

Thanks! I think the process is taking a long time because they have to hear back from students with either yes/no. I think you might expect to hear from them next week (I'm assuming they sent acceptances to a couple people...wait to hear back...send out another wave) I think you have a great shot of getting in!!
Yeah that's probably true and I'm guessing they're waiting on my grade to be updated for the pre requisite so hopefully now that it is, I'll hear sometime soon! Haha thanks so much for your positivity hope I do get in!!

oh congratulations!! i'm very happy for you! yeah the deposit was a bit much but i'm in the same boat as you; years of prereqs volunteering and getting rejected last year from a few places. i'm excited to have met a future classmate!