Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why isn't there more buzz about this program? No one seems to know anything about it, even here in SDN.
I interviewed there a few weeks ago and there are definitely lots of things to like about it -
1) The Maria Fareri Children's Hospital is awesome! Great work environment, only 4 years old, looks like money is pouring in.
2) Nice proximity to NYC, only 30 mins away by train. Valhalla is quite suburban, so it has the best of both worlds.
3) The hospital has complete subspecs - they have Rheum! Plus they do complex congenital heart surgery, liver transplants, marrow transplants - that's more than most hospitals. They also have an 18-bed PICU and a 50-60 bed NICU.
4) It seems that there is a good amount of clinical research going on based on what one attending told me, and there is definitely opportunity to do research.
Some things I didn't like (I can only name 2) -
1) Morning report was mediocre at best. I actually think the resident reporting missed some very basic stuff in her H&P. But oh well, she's just one resident.
2) Some residents were aloof during lunch... but a lot of them showed up. Hmmm. Maybe I just sat at the wrong end of the table or something.
Anyway bottom line, I'm thinking of ranking this program quite high. But before I do, any thoughts? Why does it feel like there's no one else out there who likes it? Is there anything major about it that I should know about? Thanks!
I interviewed there a few weeks ago and there are definitely lots of things to like about it -
1) The Maria Fareri Children's Hospital is awesome! Great work environment, only 4 years old, looks like money is pouring in.
2) Nice proximity to NYC, only 30 mins away by train. Valhalla is quite suburban, so it has the best of both worlds.
3) The hospital has complete subspecs - they have Rheum! Plus they do complex congenital heart surgery, liver transplants, marrow transplants - that's more than most hospitals. They also have an 18-bed PICU and a 50-60 bed NICU.
4) It seems that there is a good amount of clinical research going on based on what one attending told me, and there is definitely opportunity to do research.
Some things I didn't like (I can only name 2) -
1) Morning report was mediocre at best. I actually think the resident reporting missed some very basic stuff in her H&P. But oh well, she's just one resident.
2) Some residents were aloof during lunch... but a lot of them showed up. Hmmm. Maybe I just sat at the wrong end of the table or something.
Anyway bottom line, I'm thinking of ranking this program quite high. But before I do, any thoughts? Why does it feel like there's no one else out there who likes it? Is there anything major about it that I should know about? Thanks!