NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, Finally more info about fin aid. I tried to read it on my phone but didn't have enough battery to page through all 7 pages that appeared on the phone. My work blocks gmail and most other email services. Guess, I have to wait till I get home.

You get access to SDN and not gmail, that seems totally backward to me. If you want, I can PM you the e-mail, just let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

To current students: Do we have to use T.H.E. for our loans? I don't particularly like the idea of being told where I have to take my money from, but the application they just emailed us makes it sound like the require us to use that one lender.

To current students: Do we have to use T.H.E. for our loans? I don't particularly like the idea of being told where I have to take my money from, but the application they just emailed us makes it sound like the require us to use that one lender.

I think you can use whoever you want, although there are several benefits to using THE. They are, as far as I can tell, one of hte more honest and upfront lending companies. I don't think they have been named in the student loan scandal that has involved a bunch of "reputable" lenders. Also, the benefits THE offers are available to everyone and given to a significant number of the borrowers. Other student loan companies tout their benefits, but only a very small portion are ever eligible because they cancel them as soon as you are a minute late with a payment (and trust me, that happens a LOT more easily than you would think - this coming from the woman who has had 1 late credit card payment in 8 years).

WHen you get down to it, Dean Sozzo has done a TON of research on lending companies. I made some phone calls for myself and eventually decided that THE was by far and away the best lender.

Members don't see this ad :)
when I went on my interview, i was one of those fortunate souls w/ 2 interviews, so I had no free time to roam around, and missed a good portion of the tour.

I saw the upstairs area of the med school building...forgot what it's called. I saw the MODS and anatomy lab, but I missed everything else. Oh, and I saw housing. What did you guys think of lecture hall/halls and whatever else they may have shown you. How is the library? Hospital? Anywhere interesting I may have missed?

I think the dorms will be nice. I wouldn't mind living like that since I have yet to actually live off-campus or on my own. So I think I would prefer the "student community" over having an apartment.

How is the area around the school for running? I really really really love running on the road...i hate treadmills, trails are ok, but hard to run on/higher threat of injury. I honestly went running at most of my interviews to see how the area was. But when I ran from my hotel to the school I had to run along a huge main road w/o a sidewalk. So I'm just wondering how the area around the school is w/o going to that main road to run along. I imagine it must be just fine since it is a suburban area, but I had to take the route I knew to see the school. Which was also awesome b/c when i got to the school there were a couple 4th years playing frisbee, so i joined in and talked about nymc and they answered a million qustions for me and i got to play some disc for once in a long time.

and who will play ultimate?

Yes, it is very wrong that I can't get gmail but can access SDN. Now, I've only got two more hours left. Usually we start getting pummeled at 4 with patients. So it'll go by fast. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions once I get to fully read the e-mail.

The Dean's office, and Dean Sozzo in particular, are definitely working in your best interests here. I don't think you HAVE to use THE, but I can think of no reason why you wouldn't want to. Is there some compelling personal reason you have for not wanting that particular lender? :confused:

The Dean's office, and Dean Sozzo in particular, are definitely working in your best interests here. I don't think you HAVE to use THE, but I can think of no reason why you wouldn't want to. Is some compelling personal reason you have for not wanting that particular lender? :confused:

I just want to do my own research and choose my own lender. If I find that T.H.E. has the most compelling benefits for me then I would choose it. But medical schools get kickbacks for getting their students to use a particular lender so thats part of the reason medical schools recommend a lender. Beyond that different people will benefit more from different perks that lenders offer - which is why I want to see which is best for me.

Does anyone know what you have to do if you want a different lender than THE?

I noticed that AAA....the motor club....offers stafford/PLUS loans, and as far as I could tell, members get fees taken away and an interest rate reduction. I only looked quickly since I'm at work and was just told tomorrow will be much worse than i thought it would be :mad: so i have to go prepare for that now

I just want to do my own research and choose my own lender. If I find that T.H.E. has the most compelling benefits for me then I would choose it. But medical schools get kickbacks for getting their students to use a particular lender so thats part of the reason medical schools recommend a lender. Beyond that different people will benefit more from different perks that lenders offer - which is why I want to see which is best for me.

I would call the fin aid office.

Hey whats up guys,
I just saw this thread existed so I thought I would say congrats to everyone who got in so far, and ask a couple questions. I got accepted to nymc a couple months ago, and i'm pretty positive I'll be attending there in fall, but my girlfriend would be coming with me up there, and I talked to the housing people, and you cant get an apartment on campus unless youre married, which i'm not. So I guess I will be looking to live off campus, does anyone know of any 1 bedroom apartments close to campus that would fall into the NYMC budget ($1000/month including utilities). I've been looking all over, but Valhalla is pretty crazy expensive, but I would like to live close to campus, anyone find any places, or know of any apartments that will be coming available in July/Aug? Any info would be greatly appreciated, you can pm me or my email is [email protected]
Thanks guys,
Kevin P.

what banks are around the area and common in NYC? right now i have People's Bank...which I'm pretty sure is a CT only bank

well, now i'm confused. so i'm almost done filling this out. I find my old stafford loan MPN, and find that the loan came from "United Student Aid Funds, Inc", and lender name is "people's bank". Does this mean I need a new MPN?????????????????? I'm thinking alongside alwaysangel in that I would like to look at my options before choosing THE, and that idk if I need a new MPN as well since I would just fill this app out now anyway.

edit: and the loans I pay back right now are through Sallie Mae after consolidating, which got transferred to another program, GSM&R, by Sallie Mae.

double edit: After looking through more papers, these companies have nothing to do w/ THE, so back to the basic question, if i have a MPN for one company, do i need on for THE as well, or not since they are all federal loans.

TRIPLE EDIT (IGNORE ABOVE) (and purposefully avoiding 2K posts since I don't want that to come on a dumb loan question): I found some random website that said when switching to a new lender, you need a new MPN. Now I wonder when graduating if it will be best to consolidate. I believe they average the interest rates, and my current consolidation rate is 2.something since I did it at the historical low...1 month before it skyrocketed up

what banks are around the area and common in NYC? right now i have People's Bank...which I'm pretty sure is a CT only bank

Bank of America is EVERYWHERE. Even outside of America, which makes the name seem pretty dumb.

I want my damn NYMC e-mail address already

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out the step 1 application and asked for the full budget. Can it be reduced if I need it? I am going to contribute money from working but am unsure of the amount until I quite in May. Also, my parents might contribute but again not sure at this point. I figured it would be better to ask the full amount just in case. I just want to make sure that I can reduce the amount later when we know more.

I filled out the step 1 application and asked for the full budget. Can it be reduced if I need it? I am going to contribute money from working but am unsure of the amount until I quite in May. Also, my parents might contribute but again not sure at this point. I figured it would be better to ask the full amount just in case. I just want to make sure that I can reduce the amount later when we know more.

I think it said somewhere in the app that it can be changed later when they asked for that. I just said full since that's what it will be for me :( I looked more closely at THE and such and they look pretty good so I'm not going to bother w/ looking into other lenders.

Robizzle, thanks, I should go switch to them sometime soon.

2K posts!!! :D

does anyone know a good way to get credit scores w/o paying FICO? do we need all three of them? I was a bit confused if we get one score or all three....seems a bit pricey and unfair. I applied for a credit card yesterday (capital one to go to italy w/ no international fee), and so they probably already checked my credit by now, which i guess drops it by a point that will come back up later...but i doubt a point here or there matter

does anyone know a good way to get credit scores w/o paying FICO? do we need all three of them? I was a bit confused if we get one score or all three....seems a bit pricey and unfair. I applied for a credit card yesterday (capital one to go to italy w/ no international fee), and so they probably already checked my credit by now, which i guess drops it by a point that will come back up later...but i doubt a point here or there matter

Yeah I found this ******ed as well... It said to buy "each one of them" or something like that, so I assume all 3. I don't have a credit card (yea yea I know..) and use a debit card, which makes my credit score pretty ******ed and meaningless I think. Do credit scores take into account debit card purchases??

Anywho, what do we actually send to the admissions office? Just a printout page with the big score number on it for each company?

Yeah I found this ******ed as well... It said to buy "each one of them" or something like that, so I assume all 3. I don't have a credit card (yea yea I know..) and use a debit card, which makes my credit score pretty ******ed and meaningless I think. Do credit scores take into account debit card purchases??

Anywho, what do we actually send to the admissions office? Just a printout page with the big score number on it for each company?

I think so, they said to give them the score and keep all the other info for yourself

edit: hmmm...it's not even that bad, 16 dollars for all three through FICO

editing AGAIN: okkk...so if i go to the basic one, i have to add in all 3 for 16 dollars EACH, and it totals the same as the deluxe version? :confused:

also, i found promotional codes...i'll post as soon as i can figure out how to buy this correctly

Hey,
I'm in the process of deciding what to sell to my roommates when I leave, and I have a question. I assume the dorms are furnished (desks, chairs, couches), but does anyone (Universe_Explorer or other NYMC students) know if the kitchens come with pots and all that stuff?
Thanks!

Also, I'm also curious about the roads, and will be looking for a running partner to run 1-2 days/week and both days on the weekend.
Its getting closer (or so I tell myself)!

Hey,
I'm in the process of deciding what to sell to my roommates when I leave, and I have a question. I assume the dorms are furnished (desks, chairs, couches), but does anyone (Universe_Explorer or other NYMC students) know if the kitchens come with pots and all that stuff?
Thanks!

Also, I'm also curious about the roads, and will be looking for a running partner to run 1-2 days/week and both days on the weekend.
Its getting closer (or so I tell myself)!

I asked about running earlier today, I'd definitely run with you!

And ultimate, anyone up for ultimate?

CPPSAVINGS 20% off myFICO...i bought the deluxe

when I went on my interview, i was one of those fortunate souls w/ 2 interviews, so I had no free time to roam around, and missed a good portion of the tour.

I saw the upstairs area of the med school building...forgot what it's called. I saw the MODS and anatomy lab, but I missed everything else. Oh, and I saw housing. What did you guys think of lecture hall/halls and whatever else they may have shown you. How is the library? Hospital? Anywhere interesting I may have missed?

I think the dorms will be nice. I wouldn't mind living like that since I have yet to actually live off-campus or on my own. So I think I would prefer the "student community" over having an apartment.

How is the area around the school for running? I really really really love running on the road...i hate treadmills, trails are ok, but hard to run on/higher threat of injury. I honestly went running at most of my interviews to see how the area was. But when I ran from my hotel to the school I had to run along a huge main road w/o a sidewalk. So I'm just wondering how the area around the school is w/o going to that main road to run along. I imagine it must be just fine since it is a suburban area, but I had to take the route I knew to see the school. Which was also awesome b/c when i got to the school there were a couple 4th years playing frisbee, so i joined in and talked about nymc and they answered a million qustions for me and i got to play some disc for once in a long time.

and who will play ultimate?

bumping from b4 b/c i'm also wondering about the school since i missed stuff on tour

I asked about running earlier today, I'd definitely run with you!

And ultimate, anyone up for ultimate?

CPPSAVINGS 20% off myFICO...i bought the deluxe

Damnit CPJones, I already bought mine LOL. I bought the first one for 4.95 and then i wasl ike O crap I need to buy the other 2 for 31 bucks. Damnit. Oh well, 35 bucks for all 3 not as bad as 48.

Damnit CPJones, I already bought mine LOL. I bought the first one for 4.95 and then i wasl ike O crap I need to buy the other 2 for 31 bucks. Damnit. Oh well, 35 bucks for all 3 not as bad as 48.

hahahahaha, i still paid more than you (38) since i bought the package for 48...where did you get the one for 5 bucks? stupid FICO!

and why is my experian score lower than the other two which are about the same???? they're all good though, so not really complaining

hahahahaha, i still paid more than you (38) since i bought the package for 48...where did you get the one for 5 bucks? stupid FICO!

and why is my experian score lower than the other two which are about the same???? they're all good though, so not really complaining

Same here. Ok, so should we just print the 3 pages out and send 'em over? I'll do it first thing tomorrow.

Library: Nice, but small. As I remember they charge you ~$0.10/page to print if you print in the library, but its free if you print in the carrols (or whatever those rooms on the top floors are called). A 2nd year I know there said a lot of kids go to Pace's library to study.

Lecture halls: The one they show on the interview is the nice, the others, not so much.

Lecture halls: The one they show on the interview is the nice, the others, not so much.
:laugh: kinda sucks about printing, but if it's free upstairs, what does it matter if you have a laptop.

robizzle, i just printed those first three pages w/ the scores and mailed them. I actually just came back from the post office...the one in the center of my town has one of those do-it-yourself areas.

Oh yeah CP, just thought I'd chime in about the hospital. I was the ONLY kid to go interview at WMC during my interview day. I thought I got the shaft but turns out it was okay plus I got to sneak preview the hospital... especially since I got lost when I was inside. It's gynormous. Granted, I've only been to maybe 2-3 hospitals in my life, WMC is pretty big. It's clean and the few staff members I spoke to were friendly (e.g. "Excuse me, I have an interview with this Doctor soon, can you tell me how to pronounce her name?" Rachlin, what the hell :confused:). It's tricky to navigate but I was under high-stress :D . But other than that, tons of parking outside and obviously extremely accessible from where we'll be (lecture/dorm) all the time.

Oh yeah CP, just thought I'd chime in about the hospital. I was the ONLY kid to go interview at WMC during my interview day. I thought I got the shaft but turns out it was okay plus I got to sneak preview the hospital... especially since I got lost when I was inside. It's gynormous. Granted, I've only been to maybe 2-3 hospitals in my life, WMC is pretty big. It's clean and the few staff members I spoke to were friendly (e.g. "Excuse me, I have an interview with this Doctor soon, can you tell me how to pronounce her name?" Rachlin, what the hell :confused:). It's tricky to navigate but I was under high-stress :D . But other than that, tons of parking outside and obviously extremely accessible from where we'll be (lecture/dorm) all the time.

thx robizzle! i think my 2nd interview was at or near the hospital? obviously not AT AT the hospital or i would have known it. it was up the hill, past the parking garage, and then into some random side door...i'm pretty sure I had to ask for help. Maybe the reason they have us go find our interviewers is to see if we are capable of doing it and asking for help when we need it...so it was just a test of some sort that we passed! with honors :D

No pots and pans, but there is an oven/microwave/fridge. I personally think both the lecture halls are nice, the 2nd years is newer, but more cramped, while the first year is older but much more spacey (nicer because theres a lot more lecture during first year).

you got an interview with the radiology guru? Haha awesome!

you got an interview with the radiology guru? Haha awesome!

Haha yeah, after asking students who she was before my interview, I found out that she is the Goddess of Radiology... Needless to say I was pretty intimidated.

K couple quick questions for the current applicants, I'm about to send in my deposit since i'm 100% sure on NYMC now but I can't find my acceptance packet.

1) It's $100 bucks right?, 2) Is the check payable to New York Medical College?, and 3) Who do I send it to? I'm guessin just the standard admissions office:

Office of Admissions
Administration Building
New York Medical College
Valhalla, New York 10595

Thanks!

robizzle,

$100 made payable to New York Medical College....put your AMCAS ID on the check.

I don't know the addy I sent it to since I looked at my returned check to find this out. edit: just looked at my packet, and it says nothing about the deposit...i guess that paper was mailed w/ the deposit.

Another question about the school, what is faculty support like, especially in guidance for selecting a specialty/matching?

i think i'm going to go crazy w/ comparing schools soon

How many people take out the the full amount for tuition and cost of attendence? Is anyone here a little worried about paying all this back? Also for the master promissory note it asks for to references. What are you using? I'll use a parent for one but not sure what to do for the second if it has to be a different address.

robizzle,

$100 made payable to New York Medical College....put your AMCAS ID on the check.

I don't know the addy I sent it to since I looked at my returned check to find this out. edit: just looked at my packet, and it says nothing about the deposit...i guess that paper was mailed w/ the deposit.

Another question about the school, what is faculty support like, especially in guidance for selecting a specialty/matching?

i think i'm going to go crazy w/ comparing schools soon

Thanks bud! Great question about faculty support I'd love to hear some responses too.

How many people take out the the full amount for tuition and cost of attendence? Is anyone here a little worried about paying all this back? Also for the master promissory note it asks for to references. What are you using? I'll use a parent for one but not sure what to do for the second if it has to be a different address.

I used my parent, and a good friend from high school. This reference crap is something I JUST WENT THROUGH when filling out "exit forms" for my college loans. I really don't think it matters. I'm sure they won't call unless they can't find you one day 10 years from now when you're scheduled to pay back 200k.

I'm sure they won't call unless they can't find you one day 10 years from now when you're scheduled to pay back 200k.

why would anyone ever do that....::hungover:arts eyes around room::

editing b/c of the crazy face that comes up from ": (no space) d" it's supposed to say darts :) <--real smiley face

i put my mom and brother, who lives on his own.

So...
Loans: Yes, many people take out the full amount. Yes it's a huge amount of money. Yes, everyone seems to eventually pay it off and be OK. I've met lots of NYMC alumni, and none of them are broke. As for the THE and shopping around, there's only one thing I can say "TRUST IN TONY". You'll meet him - he's probably the most student-focused financial aid administrator in the country, and he makes sure everyone gets the best deal. He'll work individually with you, if you approach him. My advice would be to do what he suggests for now, and if you aren't sure then talk to him when you get here. He's led mass consolidation campaigns in the past when the time is right...

Apts: I didn't live in the furnished apts, but I'm sure there were no pots and pans. There are couches, chairs, desks, dressers, fridges, stoves, microwaves. the rest is up to you. There are always lots of things for sale around campus, as people come and go a lot. One thing you'll need is an air conditioner. DON'T buy the one the school offers before you move out there - it's way too expensive, and you can get them a lot cheaper once your on campus....

Running: There are some good trails near valhalla if that's what you're into, but I've always been more of an urban runner and stick to the roads. There's a basic loop around campus (with a big hill and 1 section that is on a kinda busy road) that I used a lot. For those who worry about traffic (and hills), you can run around The Oval, which is pratically a track, and gives you pleasurable views of the helicopter pad/childrens hospital, people playing football/soccer/frisbee on the oval, and the prison (no matter how bad you have it before a test, it's not That bad...) I think once around the oval is about 1/4 mile.

Lecture halls: First year hall (Cooke) is nice, second year hall (Nevins) is nicer but with cramped leg room. Ol' Blue is horrifying. They've all got the basic stuff lecture halls need. The library is pretty small. If you need absolute silence for studying, the basement of the library (aka "the dungeon") is the place for you. Printing in the library costs money, but printing everywhere else (for now, at least) is free. (note: all new printers and printing systems are being installed in campus very soon). The library is not open 24 hours, and you can't (openly) eat or drink there. The MODs are open 24/7, eating and drinking is encouraged, printing is free...

Rachlin: Robizzle, four years from now, you'll be going into Rads. Once you make eye contact with her, it's a done deal.

During the morning session of the interview day, did anyone else have a 4th year name Linda (short, brunette, dancer) give the info talk. She was lights out smoking, and is returning for a 5th year.

One more question - what does it mean when you sign the master promissary note. Just that IF you take the money out you will pay it back? What if you are still choosing between schools - its not a problem to sign multiple master promissary notes is it?

During the morning session of the interview day, did anyone else have a 4th year name Linda (short, brunette, dancer) give the info talk. She was lights out smoking, and is returning for a 5th year.

YUP! SUPER HOT. I'm gonna give my identity away if she reads this, but she GAVE ME A RIDE to Westchester Medical Center because I was gonna be late for my interview LOL. What a nice gal.

One more question - what does it mean when you sign the master promissary note. Just that IF you take the money out you will pay it back? What if you are still choosing between schools - its not a problem to sign multiple master promissary notes is it?

I would call the financial aid office and ask what I needed to do to use an outside lender and make a final decision before I signed an MPN.

bump in case it got overlooked

Bump.. hmm are current students trying to hint at something?? :(

Bump.. hmm are current students trying to hint at something?? :(

:laugh: i was beginning to think that too. i'm not saying it's bad, but i've heard complaints about administration and not much mentoring while other schools basically hold your hand. i think this is extremely important, esp. for someone like me who has NO idea what he'd like to do or how to go about doing it.

but i'm hoping it's really not that bad and you can find a mentor if you need it, but that it's not something that's forced upon you....just a guess. and i'm hoping current students are just a little busy, and not avoiding! :)

:laugh: i was beginning to think that too. i'm not saying it's bad, but i've heard complaints about administration and not much mentoring while other schools basically hold your hand. i think this is extremely important, esp. for someone like me who has NO idea what he'd like to do or how to go about doing it.

but i'm hoping it's really not that bad and you can find a mentor if you need it, but that it's not something that's forced upon you....just a guess. and i'm hoping current students are just a little busy, and not avoiding! :)

I don't think we're hinting at anything, it's just that it's spring break and many of the people who post on here are pre-clinical, so we've been a little lax. Also, because we're preclinical it's hard to answer your question.

Career planning definitely hasn't been forced on me, but it's been very easy to find people in the fields in which I'm interested and spend some time with them. I'm now fairly certain that there is at least one field that I would really LOVE working in, but am hoping to keep an open mind through third year.

So yes, it's easy to find people to advise you and help give you exposure. As far as official guidance from the administration, I really don't know much. They did have us take a Myers-Briggs personality test that helps clarify some of the details of your personality, so I guess that was one thing. I don't think they really push choosing a career until late 3rd year, though, as you haven't been exposed to much until then.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I was doing my financial aid stuff this morning and I did it for another school (GWU) first. Then I signed onto NYMC, and even though I hadn't done the Step 1 of the application yet (which looked identical to Step 1 of GWU - I had checked it out previously without submitting it), it says I did do it. I tried clearing the cookies to see if it was just confusing the GW and NY sites but it wasn't.

This happen to anyone else? I'm gonna call on Monday to see if my stuff got sent, but its pretty bizarre.

Also, I take it no one gets scholarships prior to the decision date since it says that they start processing our apps on 6/4?

Does anyone know if anyone gets scholarship offers before that date?

Has this happened to anyone else?

I was doing my financial aid stuff this morning and I did it for another school (GWU) first. Then I signed onto NYMC, and even though I hadn't done the Step 1 of the application yet (which looked identical to Step 1 of GWU - I had checked it out previously without submitting it), it says I did do it. I tried clearing the cookies to see if it was just confusing the GW and NY sites but it wasn't.

This happen to anyone else? I'm gonna call on Monday to see if my stuff got sent, but its pretty bizarre.

Yes, when you're on the last page with the "submit application" button at the bottom, I tihnk you've already actually submitted it. That last page just provides you with the links to the promissory note and NYMC application. I was shocked at that too, but it's okay because I filled out everything I needed to before that.

Yes, when you're on the last page with the "submit application" button at the bottom, I tihnk you've already actually submitted it. That last page just provides you with the links to the promissory note and NYMC application. I was shocked at that too, but it's okay because I filled out everything I needed to before that.

Hmm - I don't know if I did. Plus when I first tried to go back to NYMC it showed GW's submission page instead (very weird). I'm pretty sure they use the same program (username password page is the same, as is the checklist showing what you need, and the page saying you've submitted it we'll get back to you after such and such date).

I think I just glanced at the first page and didn't enter anything last week - but maybe I'm wrong. I'm gonna call them and make sure they have my info.

Very bizzarre. But thanks for letting me know.

that's really strange about the fin aid app, definitely call them and make sure!

thanks for the answer ms1. That's all I was really looking for :)

With T.H.E., on their website if you do the "comparison calculator", i chose a 240000 loan over 360 months at whatever interest they say. it doesn't matter what the numbers are as long as they are the same. When I use the same numbers in excel w/ a program my brother made, the "other" companies numbers come out right w/ whatever they say you save. But w/ THE, there is a HUGE difference if I say it's a 1.3 percent int. rate reduction....so what's the deal with, where are the extra savings i'm not seeing??? :confused:

i'm doing this b/c Creighton gives a choice of many w/ many diff. terms, and i needed to compare them all. THE is not one of the choices, but I can just tell Creighton I would want them if they really are better....but i don't see where the savings are coming from.