NYMC c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them last week b/c I had some problems sending it to them, and the post office never had tracking info on it...and they said they got it.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about churches in the area? I tried to find the email for the person in charge of the Christian Medical Association and couldn't find it. Anyone know it?

Does anyone know about churches in the area? I tried to find the email for the person in charge of the Christian Medical Association and couldn't find it. Anyone know it?

good question...also interested in this answer. i'm sure there must be some nice churches in the area. for me, personally, creighton has a beautiful on-campus catholic church.....no, not a deciding factor by far, but nice to know :)

i've spent my whole day just reading random stuff on these schools...try to compare curriculums, as if i know what's better for me....i know it'll just come down to "this school sounds better to me".

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been trying to do the same. Looking at some of the smaller details of MCW and NYMC.

I've been trying to do the same. Looking at some of the smaller details of MCW and NYMC.

well...no decision for me tonight, as usual. i wonder what tomorrow night will bring :rolleyes:

so i'm thinking...yes, i'd rather be in nyc than omaha, but i'm not actually in nyc, and cost of living is much higher, but probably worth it. honestly, location was never a big factor for me....i chose uconn over boston college (not going to bother going into it), but farm town vs. boston wasn't a factor for me, and i don't regret it at all.

that's why i'm trying to find things in the curriculum and school that are different. both schools look like they use a good mix of lecture/small-group stuff....i'd prefer all lecture, but neither school overdoes PBL. Creighton looks like they do a good job to prepare students clinically, i've heard from someone from nymc not on this board that nymc has prepared her well.

kinda off topic, but should i address an loi to dean juster or somebody else?

thanks

thanks

I wrote mine to Dean Juster, but I also interviewed with her. But yes, I think the general thought is send it to the person who signs all the communication from the school (usually the Dean of Admissions).

thanks

I think, typically people send that sort of thing to the dean. I've heard that these are helpful at NYMC. I sent in a letter of interest/update a couple of weeks before the decision, and I got in. Take that for what you will.

Good luck:luck:

I think, typically people send that sort of thing to the dean. I've heard that these are helpful at NYMC. I sent in a letter of interest/update a couple of weeks before the decision, and I got in. Take that for what you will.

Good luck:luck:

Ditto. I said "Dear Committee on Admissions" though, so I doubt it really matters who you send it to. It will get to the right place... and that place is straight into your file.

So I'm new to this thread. I was officially accepted to NYMC this morning, 4/23, and I"ll be attending in the fall!

So I'm new to this thread. I was officially accepted to NYMC this morning, 4/23, and I"ll be attending in the fall!

Congrats!

I guess you're no longer McWorried?

It was a bittersweet moment when I had to take the sweet dumb and dumber quote ("so you're tellin' me there's a chance!") out of my sig when I got in.

Congrats!

I guess you're no longer McWorried?

It was a bittersweet moment when I had to take the sweet dumb and dumber quote ("so you're tellin' me there's a chance!") out of my sig when I got in.

haha yeah, no more mcworried, more like mcfreakinexcited! Can we change our username? probably not... ha.

dear class of 2011,

I made a facebook group called:

New York Medical College - Class of 2011

join now, there is no option...just join.

It's 2 am...why am i doing this now??? :confused:

edit: i'd link it, but I don't know if the link will work for everyone or not since it says my network in it....just search for that name.

bumping for the newly joined! c/o Robizzle: search for NYMC 2011

Members don't see this ad :)
bumping for the newly joined! c/o Robizzle: search for NYMC 2011

YEa definitely join people, it's MANDATORY.

By the way, just letting you guys know they don't always e-mail to confirm that they've received your finaid materials. Just called yesterday to confirm my stuff.

Also, for those of you who did the myFICO score watch when I did (e.g. Allerian & C.P.), remember to cancel. I just did it today.

YEa definitely join people, it's MANDATORY.

By the way, just letting you guys know they don't always e-mail to confirm that they've received your finaid materials. Just called yesterday to confirm my stuff.

Also, for those of you who did the myFICO score watch when I did (e.g. Allerian & C.P.), remember to cancel. I just did it today.

i didn't do the score watch, i bought the actual package....what sucks is that i thought it was for a full year...it's just for a month. i got an email saying that i had til the end of the month to check, so i better print out an extra copy. but yes, do cancel if you did score watch!

Does anyone know if you need a car at NYMC? I am from Cali.

Does anyone know if you need a car at NYMC? I am from Cali.

DEFINITELY helpful. NYMC is in the middle of nowhere Valhalla. However, since everyone will have a car, I'm sure it won't be a problem hitching a ride whenever you need one... Also, I saw bus stops and stuff on campus but I doubt they take you anywhere special..

Has anyone sign up for on campus housing yet, or is it too early? I am interested in the 4 BR dorm with furniture. Is there a deadline to sign up, and how much is the deposit?

Has anyone sign up for on campus housing yet, or is it too early? I am interested in the 4 BR dorm with furniture. Is there a deadline to sign up, and how much is the deposit?

they haven't had us do that yet. i'm sure they will contact us for it.

I think they send it in June along with our first tuition bill.

There's an active catholic church about 2 minutes away from campus and there is on campus catholic mass on Sundays given by Dr/Fr. Pravetz (the course director for Anatomy) as well as some non-denominational stuff given by Deacon Larry/whoever they bring in. I can't comment about other off-campus denominational churches, but I'm sure there's a few. I'll get the email of head of the Christian fellowship for ya and PM you.

I have gotten lazy about going to mass, and have only gone to the outside services a few times. I did attend the white coat mass and Dr. Pravetz gave a very nice homily. PM me if you want to know more.

Have they contacted anyone for anything besides FinAid?

i don't think so...at least not me....but like allerian said above, i'd guess it'll come later

although it would be nice to see my fin aid package right now :mad:

So, when I was on campus for my interview I didn't pay much attention to the details on the MPH program...can anyone kindly fill me in?

Does anyone do rotations down in NYC like Presbyterian hospital (W/Columbia) ?

So, when I was on campus for my interview I didn't pay much attention to the details on the MPH program...can anyone kindly fill me in?

$8500 and you can finish it concurrently with med school and summer classes. for info, see the web site

Does anyone do rotations down in NYC like Presbyterian hospital (W/Columbia) ?

We're not affiliated with them, so you cant. We've got St. Vinny's and Metropolitan in Manhattan for rotations.

Could you rotate there as an away rotation?

I had the feeling from the website that one could rotate at any other med school for away rotations....but I guess they would be more lenient if you wanted to actually go AWAY and not to another NYC hospital....still I don't see why not

It is my understanding that during you're 4th year you can basically plan what you want to do. So, if you really want to do your residency at Columbia or Yale or Timbuktu General Hospital, as long as you can get them to take you (I think one "applies" during spring of 3rd year for fall of 4th year) schools will generally give credit. Again, I have no idea about NYMC specifically, but I would doubt they'd give you a hard time.

Just to clear up the rotation thing. You can do away rotations wherever you want (we're alloted a certain amount of away rotations, but the CORE rotations have to be done at NYMC or affiliaties), pending you apply. I personally have already contacted 3 places I'm interested in (I guess im an ambitious second year). It's actually encouraged because it lets programs get to know who you are. If you have any more specific questions about it feel free to PM me although it might take a while to get back to you cuz things are starting to pick up again.

How many away rotations are you allowed? Do you get to schedule you're 4th year yourself, or do they tell you when you have to do your required stuff (Sub-Is, etc) and you have to plan around that?
Thanks!

You can do "away" rotations (electives) almost anywhere inside and outside the U.S. This goes for all allopathic (and, I assume, osteopathic) medical schools. Our location in the city is a great opportunity to rotate through some of the fabulous hospitals here (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSK, HSS) during fourth year without having to spend money to travel or get housing in a different city. During fourth year, there are a set number of "selectives" that must be completed at NYMC affiliated hospitals (SubI, Surgical Subs, Geriatrics/chronic care peds, Rehab/Anesth). That leaves about 18 weeks for elective time which can be done practically anywhere, as stated above. You are given your selective schedule in a lottery, and you work around it. However, there are 20+ variations of the schedule, and everyone switches/trades to get what they want...congrats to the new folks, welcome (I was on campus today and actually saw a group getting the interview tour!)

Ok, so I have two questions:

1) I understand that NYMC is affiliated with the Catholic church, but what does this really mean? Are most students Catholic? Does it affect the way things are taught (i.e. women's health)? I just remember the story in the news a few years ago about a student wanting to start a LGBTA and getting denied, and want to get a realistic picture of the values of the school.

2) There is an article in the April 2007 issue of inTouch (a NYMC community publication) in which the newly appointed president, Dr. Karl Adler, discusses some challenges facing the medical college. Addressing the issue of the schools current $3.5 million deficit, he says,

"I don't want any doctors out there practicing with a degree from a medical college that no longer exists."

What does this mean? Is the school in financial trouble like in the 1960' and 1970's when they almost filed for bankruptcy? I know this is an unpleasant question, but I want to look into it before I enroll. I was recently warned by a resident at another medical school about attending a school in financial trouble, because if they go under while you are a student, you have no degree and all the debt you have accrued.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Are the required NYMC electives scheduled nicely (not during 4th year fall) or can some people get screwed by having a surgical sub during prime away rotation/interview time when they never want to see in inside of an OR again?
I know this is a bit far away, just trying to de-muddy the picture a bit.
Thanks!

hey, so I've made my decision, and NYMC it is! Just wondering, have all you sent in your deposit already? Did you just send in a check or did you include some sort of letter in addition? Anyway, i'm psyched, glad to be joining you guys and glad the whole process is over. See you in August.

hey, so I've made my decision, and NYMC it is! Just wondering, have all you sent in your deposit already? Did you just send in a check or did you include some sort of letter in addition? Anyway, i'm psyched, glad to be joining you guys and glad the whole process is over. See you in August.

Congrats on your decision! Be sure to join our facebook group (search NYMC 2011). I just sent in my deposit with my name and AAMC ID on it and they sent me an email confirming about a week later.

You can do "away" rotations (electives) almost anywhere inside and outside the U.S. This goes for all allopathic (and, I assume, osteopathic) medical schools. Our location in the city is a great opportunity to rotate through some of the fabulous hospitals here (NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSK, HSS) during fourth year without having to spend money to travel or get housing in a different city. During fourth year, there are a set number of "selectives" that must be completed at NYMC affiliated hospitals (SubI, Surgical Subs, Geriatrics/chronic care peds, Rehab/Anesth). That leaves about 18 weeks for elective time which can be done practically anywhere, as stated above. You are given your selective schedule in a lottery, and you work around it. However, there are 20+ variations of the schedule, and everyone switches/trades to get what they want...congrats to the new folks, welcome (I was on campus today and actually saw a group getting the interview tour!)

The student senate is working with the faculty/admin reform the clinical curriculum to include more time for electives and less mandatory...so the situation may very well be different by the time you guys are reaching the clinical years.

Sorry about my earlier answer, I was thinking in the vein of core rotations and not electives/away rotations.

Ok, so I have two questions:

1) I understand that NYMC is affiliated with the Catholic church, but what does this really mean? Are most students Catholic? Does it affect the way things are taught (i.e. women's health)? I just remember the story in the news a few years ago about a student wanting to start a LGBTA and getting denied, and want to get a realistic picture of the values of the school.

2) There is an article in the April 2007 issue of inTouch (a NYMC community publication) in which the newly appointed president, Dr. Karl Adler, discusses some challenges facing the medical college. Addressing the issue of the schools current $3.5 million deficit, he says,

"I don't want any doctors out there practicing with a degree from a medical college that no longer exists."

What does this mean? Is the school in financial trouble like in the 1960' and 1970's when they almost filed for bankruptcy? I know this is an unpleasant question, but I want to look into it before I enroll. I was recently warned by a resident at another medical school about attending a school in financial trouble, because if they go under while you are a student, you have no degree and all the debt you have accrued.

Thanks in advance for any input!

1) The official stance is that we're affiliated with the Arch Diocese of NYC and teach a curriculum in the Catholic Tradition. The un-official stance of the Catholic affiliation is pretty much in name only.

Fordham's med school folded in the 70's, which was affiliated with the Arch Diocese of NY. NYMC was in financial troubles at that point and so the archdiocese funneled money that was supporting Fordham's Med School to us in return for our catholic affiliation and is also how we got the land that the school is now situated on.

Unlike Georgetown, NYMC doesn't short change you on account of catholic morality (saying that as a catholic myself)...we talk about stem cells and abortion and issues of morality instead of sweeping them under the rug. We've got an ethic's institute that is modeled after Georgetown's, but it's more to provide us a forum to consider the ethical decisions that we'll have to make and not about indoctrinating the conservative ethical stances of the Church. About the only effect that it has on our education is that we have a Franciscan as the course director of Anatomy, who also happens to be one of the most genuinely awesome human beings I've ever met and a damned fine anatomy professor.

2) I didn't go to that talk given by the new president, but I'm sure that if he mentioned it there is an initiative being taken to alleviate the financial problems. My guess is that it is a repercussion of the current NIH funding woes...the school can't take it's overhead if the research funding is not there. I wouldn't worry too much about the deficit that we're running. It hasn't had an impact on anything we're doing here in terms of pre-clinical education, and I'm sure that there is a way to fill the gap.

I went back to NYMC this spring to see the campus again, a 2nd year I know there mentioned that there has been some off the record unofficial talk lately that NYMC might get taken over by either Fordam, Pace, or Manhattanville. The reason is that NYMC spends a lot of money on administration overhead that they could get rid of if another school took them over. Apparently the education wouldn't change at all, just the name on the diploma. He said the thinking is a 5-6 year time frame.
Obviously, current NYMC students should feel free to correct me (hasn't stopped you before...).

I'm pretty involved with the NYMC community here and have not heard that. Although I may be wrong, I'm just wondering which current 2nd year you heard that from (PM the name if you are comfortable), just to see if it is a reliable source. I will go in and talk to Dean Ayala sometime soon and see if that is true though and let you guys know.

I went back to NYMC this spring to see the campus again, a 2nd year I know there mentioned that there has been some off the record unofficial talk lately that NYMC might get taken over by either Fordam, Pace, or Manhattanville. The reason is that NYMC spends a lot of money on administration overhead that they could get rid of if another school took them over. Apparently the education wouldn't change at all, just the name on the diploma. He said the thinking is a 5-6 year time frame.
Obviously, current NYMC students should feel free to correct me (hasn't stopped you before...).

I'm pretty involved with the NYMC community here and have not heard that. Although I may be wrong, I'm just wondering which current 2nd year you heard that from (PM the name if you are comfortable), just to see if it is a reliable source. I will go in and talk to Dean Ayala sometime soon and see if that is true though and let you guys know.

I actually did hear or read something about this - although it definitely wasn't that NYMC would be "taken over." I only heard it in connection with Fordham, and the idea was that we would benefit from more space/facilities and that the school (wherever I heard it, the school mentioned was Fordham) would benefit as they would be able to expand their faculty to include some of our professors.

I didn't hear any mention of combining the administrations, just expanding the academic facilities. I heard this over a year ago and haven't heard anything futher about it.

i think that sounds pretty nice

I got an acceptance at NYMC today. I'm waitlisted at my state school (which would be my first choice for $$ reasons), but there's a chance I may be joining some of you this fall!

I got an acceptance at NYMC today. I'm waitlisted at my state school (which would be my first choice for $$ reasons), but there's a chance I may be joining some of you this fall!

congrats!

Hey, when was your interview date. Thanks

You gotta love the rumor mill...NYMC is not about to get "taken over" by any other school. There is an effort in place to find a college or university that has undergraduate/law/non-science graduate colleges to affiliate with, largely so NYMC students could gain the benefits of combined degrees (such as MD/JD) and non-medical courses that people may find beneficial (like business, economics, etc). There would be no change in name or anything like that, simply an affiliation. The process began last year at some point, with Fordham as a possibility. Currently, there are other schools involved, such as St Johns. So far as we have been told (and I am kept Very up to date on these things), this possible affiliation wouldn't really change the medical education except for increasing options for the students. As for the money problems, well, just about every hospital and school in the country has them. Over the course of my years here the school has actually improved their financial standing. Additionally, our major affiliated hospitals have improved theirs as well (part of NYMC's financial trouble was actually due to money owed from affiliated hospitals). The only thin you have to worry wbout so far as your future degree is concerned is LCME Accreditation. We are being re-accredited by the LCME this fall, and there have been task forces working on the site vist for over a year now. Last time they were reviewed, the school was given full accreditation for the longest time that it can be given, and so far as I can tell there would be no reason to believe the LCME will have any problems with the school currently...fear not, you've been acceptedt o med school. After freaking out for so long, it's easy to keep worrying about things that will stop you from actually getting your MD. But don't. Enjoy the next few months! You'll get plenty to worry about starting this august....

You gotta love the rumor mill...NYMC is not about to get "taken over" by any other school. There is an effort in place to find a college or university that has undergraduate/law/non-science graduate colleges to affiliate with, largely so NYMC students could gain the benefits of combined degrees (such as MD/JD) and non-medical courses that people may find beneficial (like business, economics, etc). There would be no change in name or anything like that, simply an affiliation. The process began last year at some point, with Fordham as a possibility. Currently, there are other schools involved, such as St Johns. So far as we have been told (and I am kept Very up to date on these things), this possible affiliation wouldn't really change the medical education except for increasing options for the students. As for the money problems, well, just about every hospital and school in the country has them. Over the course of my years here the school has actually improved their financial standing. Additionally, our major affiliated hospitals have improved theirs as well (part of NYMC's financial trouble was actually due to money owed from affiliated hospitals). The only thin you have to worry wbout so far as your future degree is concerned is LCME Accreditation. We are being re-accredited by the LCME this fall, and there have been task forces working on the site vist for over a year now. Last time they were reviewed, the school was given full accreditation for the longest time that it can be given, and so far as I can tell there would be no reason to believe the LCME will have any problems with the school currently...fear not, you've been acceptedt o med school. After freaking out for so long, it's easy to keep worrying about things that will stop you from actually getting your MD. But don't. Enjoy the next few months! You'll get plenty to worry about starting this august....

Yeah, the "take-over" is a complete misunderstanding (or out-of-date at best). UE's info is definitely up to date from what I heard from my class senators as of yesterday. I can also confirm that an affiliation with St. John's is currently being pursued by the admin.

No matter what you hear out there, you're still getting an excellent education here, at a school who's opinion is only improving in the medical community. Match lists and board scores do not lie.

ooooooooo, the red storm :)