NYMC vs. Downstate (MD/MPH--accepted to MPH, on waitlist for MD) vs. Hofstra (waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippocratess

Reaction score
I have been accepted to NYMC and am on the waitlist for Downstate and Hofstra. I really liked all three schools when I visited and all three are close enough to friends/family/SO. The most recent match lists also seem pretty comparable between the schools. Obviously only one of them is a true option at the moment, but I still want to evaluate these programs in case I get off either waitlist. I have also drafted LOI's for both schools (I have enough reasons for why I want to go to each one) but don't know if I should send either of them...

Thoughts on any of these programs and how they compare?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those three schools are all in the NYC area but they're completely different in terms of their curriculum, their location, and their rotation sites.

NYMC = pass/fail but internally ranked, two years preclinical (first year three blocks, second year systems pathophys). Each block's final is an NBME. Located in Westchester.

Downstate = pass/fail, 1.5 years preclinical. Located in Brooklyn.

Hofstra = case based student directed learning, located in Long Island.

It's up to you what works best with the learning environment and geographical location that will suit you best.