• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

NYMC vs Downstate

Yankees84

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Trying to figure out a decision for now.

Not sure if this thread as already been done. Searched and couldn't find one. Any current med students at these schools/ anyone else accepted at these places/ anyone have any personal experiences with the schools that would make one "better" than the next beyond like match lists, board scores cause I can look all that up.

I'm in-state NYC so I get in-state tuition-- yes money is a BIG factor, but not the end all. I'm open to the idea of lots of debt. Want to eventually practice in NY.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Either one would work well for you because you'll do rotations in NYC either way. At Downstate, you'd be at Kings County, which isn't the greatest hospital to go to if you're a patient, but as a med student, you'll see a lot of stuff and get to assist on a lot of procedures and things because they're so understaffed. I believe NYMC sets you up at St. Vincent's. Either way, you really can't go wrong. It might just come down to where would you rather live your first 2 years, in Westchester or Brooklyn.

About the Ads

hayden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Because you give the essays to your interviewers, and you may have a 2nd interview with a student. When I had my interview there however, none of us interviewees had a 2nd interview, so I'm not sure how regularly they give people two interviews.

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Both schools have great county hospitals right across the street. Based on the cost and the proximity to the city, I'd have to give SUNY the edge.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I made this choice right after my Downstate interview. Personally, I just didn't like the Downstate area. I crossed the street and some guy tried to "sell me something." Downstate's education is awesome, but its facilities (which are no better than my junior high school building) and location (which is actually WORSE than my high school in the BX) make it very unappealing for me. I choose NYMC. Please keep in mind I'm not talking about the actual education or the students/faculty at Downstate, which I do respect. Both schools have very good match lists too.

Money ofcourse is a real, big issue. Downstate waitlisted me post-interview, which made my decision easier.

I say if you don't mind the area, and you're not a millionaire, go with Downstate.

drc243

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I canceled my NYMED interview as soon as i got into downstate for two simple reasons: location and money. Downstate is in my hometown of brooklyn and has rotations all over the five boroughs and even a pediatric rotation in florida. I also think it very hard to go to nymed and cough up another 100 grand. Actually let me make that even more real, thats four fully loaded honda accords. In my opinion medical school is about your experiences. You will learn almost everything you need to know from a book in every med school but clinical experience vary from school to school. Downstate is known for some of the best clinical years in the country.

Robizzle i know you are really stoked about nymed but if you do get an acceptance to downstate you should definitely at least consider it. Go to downstate's shadow a student day and find out more about the school. That one day tour can possibly save you a hundred grand.

Best,
Dave

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey Dave,
I'm definitely keepin' all my options open. I appreciate the input. I know Downstate's a great medical program, but I just didn't get that good vibe while I was there. I hope one day I do get to have the opportunity to make a decision like the OP's though :).

-Rob

hayden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I really think you should make this decision on an entirely personal basis. yes there are certain things you can do to compare certain schools, and you can ask other people what they think and all, but I think it should come down to where you feel most comfortable and where YOU want to go. You should be happy with your decision and be happy at your school.

ntsystematic

Get off my bacterial lawn
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So, your nymc interviewer reads your essay for the first time right there in front of you? Shouldn't they have read it already. I thought part of the reason I was invted to interview was because they had already read my essay and liked it.:confused:

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So, your nymc interviewer reads your essay for the first time right there in front of you? Shouldn't they have read it already. I thought part of the reason I was invted to interview was because they had already read my essay and liked it.:confused:

No, they're supposed to read it beforehand. It's a semi-blind interview. They have your personal statement and list of activities but nothing else. They look at your full file right after they interview you. I brought my two copies and like pretty much everyone else, they sat in my folder because my interviewer had already read it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.