NYMC vs Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yankees84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out a decision for now.

Not sure if this thread as already been done. Searched and couldn't find one. Any current med students at these schools/ anyone else accepted at these places/ anyone have any personal experiences with the schools that would make one "better" than the next beyond like match lists, board scores cause I can look all that up.

I'm in-state NYC so I get in-state tuition-- yes money is a BIG factor, but not the end all. I'm open to the idea of lots of debt. Want to eventually practice in NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Either one would work well for you because you'll do rotations in NYC either way. At Downstate, you'd be at Kings County, which isn't the greatest hospital to go to if you're a patient, but as a med student, you'll see a lot of stuff and get to assist on a lot of procedures and things because they're so understaffed. I believe NYMC sets you up at St. Vincent's. Either way, you really can't go wrong. It might just come down to where would you rather live your first 2 years, in Westchester or Brooklyn.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview to NYMC this morning. Why do they have their interviewees bring 2 copies of their AMCAS essay?

Because you give the essays to your interviewers, and you may have a 2nd interview with a student. When I had my interview there however, none of us interviewees had a 2nd interview, so I'm not sure how regularly they give people two interviews.

Both schools have great county hospitals right across the street. Based on the cost and the proximity to the city, I'd have to give SUNY the edge.

downstate downstate downstate downstate

$ location $ location

downstate...just because its the best Suny out there.

I made this choice right after my Downstate interview. Personally, I just didn't like the Downstate area. I crossed the street and some guy tried to "sell me something." Downstate's education is awesome, but its facilities (which are no better than my junior high school building) and location (which is actually WORSE than my high school in the BX) make it very unappealing for me. I choose NYMC. Please keep in mind I'm not talking about the actual education or the students/faculty at Downstate, which I do respect. Both schools have very good match lists too.

Money ofcourse is a real, big issue. Downstate waitlisted me post-interview, which made my decision easier.

I say if you don't mind the area, and you're not a millionaire, go with Downstate.

I canceled my NYMED interview as soon as i got into downstate for two simple reasons: location and money. Downstate is in my hometown of brooklyn and has rotations all over the five boroughs and even a pediatric rotation in florida. I also think it very hard to go to nymed and cough up another 100 grand. Actually let me make that even more real, thats four fully loaded honda accords. In my opinion medical school is about your experiences. You will learn almost everything you need to know from a book in every med school but clinical experience vary from school to school. Downstate is known for some of the best clinical years in the country.

Robizzle i know you are really stoked about nymed but if you do get an acceptance to downstate you should definitely at least consider it. Go to downstate's shadow a student day and find out more about the school. That one day tour can possibly save you a hundred grand.

Best,
Dave

Hey Dave,
I'm definitely keepin' all my options open. I appreciate the input. I know Downstate's a great medical program, but I just didn't get that good vibe while I was there. I hope one day I do get to have the opportunity to make a decision like the OP's though :).

-Rob

I really think you should make this decision on an entirely personal basis. yes there are certain things you can do to compare certain schools, and you can ask other people what they think and all, but I think it should come down to where you feel most comfortable and where YOU want to go. You should be happy with your decision and be happy at your school.

So, your nymc interviewer reads your essay for the first time right there in front of you? Shouldn't they have read it already. I thought part of the reason I was invted to interview was because they had already read my essay and liked it.:confused:

So, your nymc interviewer reads your essay for the first time right there in front of you? Shouldn't they have read it already. I thought part of the reason I was invted to interview was because they had already read my essay and liked it.:confused:

No, they're supposed to read it beforehand. It's a semi-blind interview. They have your personal statement and list of activities but nothing else. They look at your full file right after they interview you. I brought my two copies and like pretty much everyone else, they sat in my folder because my interviewer had already read it.