NYMC vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mantis32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I would appreciate any advice, opinions or insights into this decision.

NYMC:
Pros:
Cheaper Tuition (Not by much) ~ 52K as I am told that Drexel is upping their tuition to ~58K for 2017.
Closer to Home- Upstate NY, and I have multiple friends that live in the NYC area.
Early Clinical Exposure
Really good vibes here on Interview day. Students I know that attend really like the program also.
Facilities seemed nicer than Drexel's to me.
Mini Boards throughout the curriculum to keep students on track to perform well on the USMLE.
Open Door policy at Westchester Medical Center on campus, allowing for access to shadowing and research opportunities.

Cons:
Curriculum seems to be very old school, with few nuances apart from the aforementioned mini boards.

Drexel:
Pros:
Currently completing a MS here in which I take the M1 classes so I know what to expect and that I will do very well here at least during the M1 year I will be repeating.
Already part of a research team here which has been productive and would be easy to continue.
Philly is a great city and I already have friends here and live here.

Cons:
COA is brutal at ~ 80K (though NYMC is not that much better).
Huge class size and poorer facilities.
Further from my family in NY.

From what I have gathered thus far both schools have similar reputations and neither sticks out as the obvious front runner. Both schools Match Lists were better than I was expecting and neither struck me as much more impressive than the other. Living seems to be a wash as well because I love Philly but do get tired of the city at times and Valhalla is quiet but I am unsure of the access I will have to all that a city can quickly offer (food, entertainment etc.). Please share your thoughts with me and know that I appreciate your time in helping me with this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC maybe a better option considering that it's a new place for you that is lower in cost and closer to family. As you said both schools are pretty much the same in terms of prestige and rank. It may be nice to have that proximity to NYC. People also seem to be happier at NYMC .

Reactions: 1 user
NYMC maybe a better option considering that it's a new place for you that is lower in cost and closer to family. As you said both schools are pretty much the same in terms of prestige and rank. It may be nice to have that proximity to NYC. People also seem to be happier at NYMC .

I am glad you have heard students there are relatively happy as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second look was great! The administrators and faculty seem to be well organized and on top of it. Staying with current students was a real bonus as well, as they all felt that they had made a good decision and did not have much in the way of complaints. I am only concerned about two things now => the cost of attendance (which I guess does not matter much bc Drexel is more expensive) and the immediate campus area seeming to have limited food options. Otherwise I am high on the program currently and think that I will be attending NYMC.

Second look was great! The administrators and faculty seem to be well organized and on top of it. Staying with current students was a real bonus as well, as they all felt that they had made a good decision and did not have much in the way of complaints. I am only concerned about two things now => the cost of attendance (which I guess does not matter much bc Drexel is more expensive) and the immediate campus area seeming to have limited food options. Otherwise I am high on the program currently and think that I will be attending NYMC.
Probably would help incentivize you to actually cook :)