NYMC vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h21299

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, heads-up this is a throw-away because privacy reasons.

Anyway so about me, did undergrad in Rutgers-Newark, moved to Nanuet NY Junior Year because of the access to both the Garden State Parkway for School, and the Palisades Parkway for work (Englewood NJ) and also my wife (now, not then) lived in Nyack so moving closer to her was important. I give my location because it'll play in later promise

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Pros
  • Did undergrad in Newark, Love the city, volunteered at Uni Hospital, made a lot of friends who themselves are going to NJMS or RSDM. I know the commute like muscle memory tbh so I'm just really used to and enjoy the city and environment.
  • Pass/Fail
  • The tuition would be OOS first year but moving forward I could get IS tuition
  • I like the student-clinic, I want to do primary care in Spring Valley (town next to Nanuet, tons of uninsured people, Hispanics, Blacks, etc) very similar pt. population to Newark
  • Tons of research opportunities
  • Would have familiar faces in the med school, have that support system
  • Med school/Uni Hospital integration, the fact both buildings are connected would make involvement in the Hospital easy.
  • MMDA (I'm muslim so having a muslim social group is huge)
  • NJMS has a Med/Peds program, interested as I want to do primary care and being able to do both specialties in 4 years is something I'm looking towards, that or regular peds.
  • Block curriculum, one subject at a time, exams every 2 weeks, then done. I prefer this as I enjoy having one class to focus on, instead of having a ton and crying around Christmas because I have 6 finals

Cons
  • Will be commuting, not much of an issue, commute is maybe 45-60 minutes. Will prob move after 2nd year but that's something to consider
  • A re-applicant, and was not satisfied with how I was treated my first cycle, had a negative experience with admissions. Idk maybe I'm a peach
  • While I'm used to location, wife is not, will have to constantly reassure her I'm not getting stabbed. Not kidding
  • With my friends there I worry about being distracted, thinking of Med school as an extension of Undergrad. Had that issue when I went to community college after high school, 1/4 of my high school went to CC and I didn't take it seriously because having them there made it feel like high school. But not really a fault of the school but worth mentioning.
  • Student clinic is fairly limited, seems it's only open 2-3 evenings a week, looking for a bit more.
  • Not taking things are face value but for the reputation the facilities were old.
  • Got the feeling that Pediatrics was not really something the school pushes students towards, they seemed obsessed with surgery.
  • Parkway can be a pain sometimes.

New York Medical College
Pros
  • Love the campus, simply gorgeous. I have mild anxiety and something about the campus was therapeutic for me.
  • Did the STAR Program (their summer internship) a few times and enjoyed it, have some connections to faculty and some of my fellow STAR participants.
  • The commute is fairly short, maybe half of that of NJMS, or 2/3. Much easier to access
  • Westchester Medical Center is expanding, could translate to more opportunities down the line.
  • Has a children's hospital, important as my interest is in peds
  • Wife Going to grad school nearby, really close.
  • Got a decent scholarship that would make the cost equal to NJMS (2K more than NJMS but that's negligible)
  • Am actually a 5th author on a paper published by a faculty and have the option to continue research
  • Gorgeous Anatomy lab.
  • Library was really nice, I felt like I could study there
  • Have a lot of rotation sites, Westchester in Valhalla, Metro in Harlem, St. Joes in Paterson
  • Paterson is maybe 20 minutes from Nanuet, for 3rd year I'd have the option to do all my rotations there, if I'm lucky
  • Wife knows the area and will rest easy knowing I'm not being robbed
  • Do have friends but 3rd/4th years so don't really expect to socialize
  • Offers research but, not as many options as NJMS. However, the research they do, they obviously care about.
  • Faculty are super loving, during the STAR internship I had issues with anxiety, they really worked with me and were patient.

Cons
  • TappanZee (Or Mario Cuamo Bridge I suppose) can get really ****ty traffic sometimes.
  • I hate the cold and worry about how I'll feel having to go outside building to building in Winter, prefer NJMS for being a single unit
  • Was not impressed with housing options if I do decide to come here
  • Did not like the rotation options for 3/4th year. It seems that you can either do the whole 3rd year at paterson or split it between Westchester in Valhalla, Metro in Harlem, and one other site. It's one thing to move as an option, another of it's not really my decision
  • Wouldn't really know many people, 15 students I know from the star program will be starting but, only 3 from the MD Program, rest are doing masters or doctoral programs so not much support there.
  • To my knowledge I couldn't find any info on a student clinic if there was one
  • Don't feel I'd get much experience with patients in an area where everyone is healthy. Not wishing a plague to hit the area or anything but I really learn by doing
  • not enough clubs I felt
  • Not much to do on or off-campus.
  • Driving home at night was sort of uncomfortable for me, some parts aren't well-lit, have issues with night-time driving, difficulty seeing in dark
  • HATE The grading. Hate it. It's Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail.
  • More of a traditional curriculum, take multiple subjects at once, exams are around the same time, dislike this.
Will update as I can.
Update 11/13/2018: Apparently NYMC is pass fail, will look into this and if it's authentic I'll update this thread. I hope it helps someone in the future!

Update 11/14/2018: NYMC is Pass/fail for pre-clinicals which is awesome! A huge sway. I hope someone finds this thread and really benefits, trying to keep adding info as i go, so that people can get a good picture and make an informed choice. I know it's hard for me, and I'm not a traditional student, so can't imagine what younger kids are going through when deciding.

Update 11/28/2018 (Real sorry I haven't checked in 2 weeks, warning, wall of text ahead)
Officially leaning towards NJMS based on what I've experienced and seen since then (went to a few NJMS events, one for Latino students, a tour of the labs, met with MS1s, MS2s, etc.) The positive vibes coincide with the fact I'll actually be moving as well, closer to campus. Wife is finishing up her MS and has a job offer close(r) to Newark (moving from Nanuet to Park Ridge NJ) Decision was easier when I was in Nanuet since NYMC was 16 miles vs njms was 33 miles, now it'll be NYMC 21 miles, NJMS 26 miles. That is a substantial difference no matter how I slice it, commute diff is negligible at that point.
Before it was night and day, but now not so much. My positive experiences, shorter commute time and also my wife seeing how cool and safe the campus is helps. (btw my wife and I both have anxiety, I say this because I don't like to feel like I'm ragging on her for worrying, I do love her and don't want her to be imagined as some whiny clingy person, she's honestly the only reason I got into med school)
If I was staying in Nanuet I was honestly ready to commit to NYMC. I had actually set-up a research opportunity at Westchester AND St. Joes in Paterson. Both would start next year pending IRB approval, Westchester I had an opportunity (I actually, should probably let the doc know I can't commit, I'm glad I remembered) to do Cardiology research remotely, extremely light work over the next year or two, with a chance at authorship. Meetings would have been weekly facetimes, very casual. For St. Joes my opportunity was to work with residents on EM research, light remote work like searching for articles, editing, formatting, etc . My issue here was in-person meetings every two weeks, now with Westchester, docs interviewed me in their PJs on facetime and were lax. St. Joes were very formal, and I don't mind that bit but I don't know how I felt about having to drive there, I have that time now but, I'm not sure about once I started school how it would work. My drive would be longer than the meetings lol.
NYMC has given me some mixed vibes. I was with former star students by the Docs Cafe in the medical education building (we were all looking to find research ops to secure ahead of time so we could relax) , just chatting when med students had come to talk to us. They just told us about how much they love NYMC and asked about us, really nice. Now 2 of my STAR friends are coming to NYMC for sure as their other choices were pretty far, IL, PA, CT, etc. So with family here, it was a no-brainer. Now when I mentioned NJMS, I had every student there advise me to consider it over NYMC. They didn't **** on their own school or anything , loved nymc, one of the guys was huge and said when he came he was scrawny and testified the gym was top-notch which I never considered tbh. But I mentioned peds and primary care so they told me for that, NJMS would top NYMC. I like that they let me talk about my goals and when I want to get, and my learning methods before giving advice, and they really helped me solidify my choice.

All in all, commute was what kept me from NJMS, and grading is what kept me away from NYMC, but in the last two weeks, it's funny that NYMC would become pass/fail but and NJMS would be come closer. So relied on my own experiences and going there to talk to students and faculty before deciding. Still interviewing at other schools, but for the most part, distance is my biggest factor, unless another schools is substantially cheaper, I think these schools are my finalists.

I wanna apologize for my disgusting wall of writing, I haven't checked in weeks so I try to add as much info, not just for you but future applicants, I know this cycle I was upset because I was given interviews at schools that hadn't been talked about in 3-4 years on this forum and when deciding where to spend 4 years plus a LOT fo money, you really want the latest info. So I hope this goes a long way to helping kids in the future. Peace

Edit: 11/28/2018 People asked me for activities, so I was involved in both schools or campuses
-NYMC, They have a summer internship called "Summer Trainee in Academic Research" it's like 90% high schoolers, very non-competitive, and I highly recommend. You'll be held back because they'll treat you like a high schooler but very quickly you can prove yourself and have added responsibility. Very good with adding STAR kids as authors on publications. My STAR Program mentor wrote me an LOR, and it was actually brought up since I'd done the program multiple summers! The program is huge so I advise you all to try, my class in 2017 had like 60-70 kids, of which 55 were high schoolers at least.

-NJMS, So while I did undergrad in Newark, I never actually interned at NJMS, I did apply to NERA and even though I was never able to do it (I carpooled with someone else going to Rutgers, I had no car at the time, I applied to NERA with them but my ability to do it was contingent on them being accepted, they never were, but I lived by people who were going to class at Manhattanville by NYMC so I went with them for the STAR Program instead, I applied NERA every summer and every summer I never found a ride :/ which was unfortunate but strengthened my connection to NYMC), showing an interest and being accepted deff helped show my interest, and I also did the RA Program @ University Hospital. The hospital is a completely separate entity, it's not NJMS but it's a connected building and their teaching hospital. The RA Program didn't come up in my interview as a focus, like with NYMC they sort of highlighted it, with NJMS they just said "oh hey we've heard of this program, nice..." and kinda glazed over but idk if they were downplaying for my benefit or what, and I had no letter or anything from the RA Program since I didn't do a full year, and from what I understand they don't do LORs unless you're like a crazy intellectual. This program was kinda depressing because, the application was extensive, so it screened a lot of my friends just because it takes a while to do. Not to mention, they run all-year but take maybe 4-6 kids a semester. I was able to do this during the semesters so thankfully I had a ride to campus and they required 4 hours a week which I was able to do.
-> I forgot, I did do research at the Rutgers-Newark undergrad campus, I was made the 2nd author on a small psych paper. Idk if it really mattered as much since my papers from NYMC were on virology and cancer, and involved some bench-work,, while my Rutgers paper was mostly just formatting.

Looking back I feel like I didn't make the best of my time. I finished undergrad at 24, I know I'm not behind in matriculation since, the average age is like 25-26 but, I do regret not having done more research, as well as shadowing. I had very little shadowing exp. That was a weak point for me and was brought up multiple times whether in interviews or when I was rejected. Cooper in Camden is especially big on it, I was interested in their 3-year Primary Care MD Program and sent my info to get an idea, and when they saw not much shadowing or inner-city volunteering they shut me down respectfully. I applied anyway, and was rejected but I don't hold it against them.

Update: 11/17/2019 (yes it's almost been a YEAR) I'm a proud MS1 at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School! I applied and was rejected by the 3-year MD Program which sucks bc really love that we offer a 3-year MD where you can then do either Pediatrics OR Internal Medicine or BOTH in a 4-year combined residency. I eyed the combined program but alas, it's the first year and spots were competitive.

I've enjoyed my time here,
-class is super close-knit
-having a MMDA (Muslim Medical and Dental Association) has been good for my mental health
-I commute a lot and mostly just come for exams
-I watch lectures online in my own time, no mandatory attendance for lectures (If they are mandatory you're told, one a week or every other week)
-VERY Affordable, low cost-of-living, have an apartment off-campus across the street from the dental school, but mostly stay at home in park ridge
-Classes are pass-fail
-Have really enjoyed my decision to come here, these people are very salt-of-the-earth,
-Tons of old mature classmates have adopted me and I love it. Running into folks from all walks of life.
-Curriculum allows me time for myself, am told 2nd year gets a little more timely, and 3rd year is killer but enjoy it for now lol
-Being into primary care has motivated me to focus on things that I enjoy, the student clinic is nice, I do some laid-back peds research, if you KNOW what you want coming in, it really helps, I don't laze around but knowing I don't have to go hard because I'm interested in less-competitive specialties has given me some serious peace. Having said that, med school is NO JOKE and you cannot expect to treat it like undergrad but, I'm married, I'm older, I know what I want (What specialty) and how I want it (What programs I'm interested in) I know what to take seriously and what to be relaxed with and I'm perfectly fine, with being a B student if it means I'm sane, can give my wife more attention, sleep, workout etc. If you aren't into FM/Peds/General IM then you might find yourself actually having to work.
I came in, went hard in the beginning but after a few blocks I've learned how to learn if that makes sense? I know how the exams work, how my professors work, and I know, how I learn (very important, people learn differently, I need to watch lectures as we go along , I take notes etc while another classmate can only watch the material the day before. All kinds of folks here) it was great to learn how I can retain material, and how to find that balance where, I'm passing but not giving too much time and neglecting my family. Giving your minimum effort is NOT the same as, giving the minimum effort required to still perform well. Also, pass/fail here isn't like college where a 60 or 65 or whatever is a D and you can get a pass grade, think if it like, getting a 75 is pass, 74 and below is failing. Just as a reference, here passing still requires you know the majority.
Tuition is a god-send, it's cheap AF. I've noticed, like 1/2 the class are kids from the ivies or if not ivy league a big name (Hopkins, UCxx, etc), NJMS is stupid competitive bc of the clinical exp, the surgical exp, and the price tag especially. Clubs are nice, and it's important you find one bc I've had times I was sick but kids sent notes. We have kids who volunteer to take notes on their laptops in lecture, helps a lot.
I'll check this from time to time, sorry it's been a full year, truthfully I made this account as a throw-away so I forgot the login, and also forgot about it until a friend applying this cycle found this thread and showed me this and said "This guy sounds like you" and I was amused because well it is.
Please feel free to PM me, I can tell you about NJMS or share what I know about other schools, too tired to make separate threads so will probably either just answers PMs but over thanksgiving add my exp at other schools I interviewed or was accepted to and why I chose NJMS

During my cycle I applied broadly but interviewed at:
Suny Upstate
Suny Downstate
Suny Stony Brook
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJMS
Cooper
NYMC
Northwell

Rejected before any interview by these schools
Buffalo (state school but didn't put my heart into the app as I should have, hate hate HATE snow)
Rowan SOM (Very very surprised, amazing school but, did not expect that)

Offered interviews but ignored (Rejected mostly for logistical or health reasons, or because they were just too late in the cycle and wanted to decide acceptances. Unless they're super late Plz don't ever skip an interview, I promise even blowing off the worst DO school will hurt you someday.)
Rochester
NYU
Touro Middletown AND Harlem each
Einstein
Hackensack

Rejected after an interview
Cooper (Gave good feedback, only rejection post-interview)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm at NYMC, and location also strongly factored into my school decision. I was deciding between RWJMS, Stonybrook and NYMC. I ended up choosing NYMC because it would be the easiest to commute from NYC, where my spouse and I live.

It's definitely a hard decision to make, and I don't know anything about NJMS so I can only address a few of your "con" points about NYMC.

- Other than walking from housing to campus, during M1/M2 you're pretty much in just one building (the Medical Education Center) - it's a big building but you don't have to leave it to go between the classrooms, lecture rooms, library or anatomy lab
- On campus housing is not ideal, but I think they offer alternatives if you are married which are nicer.
- There are two student clinics, one in Harlem (called La Casita de Salud) and another at Westchester medical center. We're also starting a new asylum clinic which should start serving refugees this winter.
- I'm still preclinical, but I've heard they actually get a huge amount of interesting peds cases due to the peds ER, and a lot of patients get sent here from other hospitals because it's a level 1 trauma center for both adults and peds.
- I agree, I think extracurriculars are not as strong as what you could find at other schools.
- Westchester is pretty dead, but you have good access to the city and there are regular bar nights and outings to White Plains which is five minutes from campus
- Driving at night is very dark - I have no idea why the roads aren't better lit.
- The grading system is very likely to change to pass/fail for next year
- Our exams are "integrated" which means they are always at the same time. I personally have liked it, because they often fall on a Friday or before a weekend, so you get real time off every few weeks, but I can understand why others would not like it.

As a NYMC student I am obviously very biased, and I'm really glad I chose NYMC, but I know NJM probably also has a lot to offer! I think that NYMC does have a lot of pros and cons, but I think it's actually a great fit for someone interested in peds who likes the Westchester area. Good luck making your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Update just in case you hadn't heard - NYMC is now officially pass/fail!

Anyway so about me, did undergrad in Rutgers-Newark, moved to Nanuet NY Junior Year because of the access to both the Garden State Parkway for School, and the Palisades Parkway for work (Englewood NJ) and also my wife lives in Nyack so moving closer to her was important. I give my location because it'll play in later promise

Pros
  • Did undergrad in Newark, Love the city, volunteered at Uni Hospital, made a lot of friends who themselves are going to NJMS or RSDM. I know the commute like muscle memory tbh so I'm just really used to and enjoy the city and environment.
  • Pass/Fail
  • I like the student-clinic, I want to do primary care in Spring Valley (town next to Nanuet, tons of uninsured people, Hispanics, Blacks, etc) very similar pt. population to Newark
  • Med school/Uni Hospital integration, the fact both buildings are connected would make involvement in the Hospital easy.
  • NJMS has a Med/Peds program, interested as I want to do primary care and being able to do both specialties in 4 years is something I'm looking towards, that or regular peds.
  • Block curriculum, one subject at a time, exams every 2 weeks, then done. I prefer this as I enjoy having one class to focus on, instead of having a ton and crying around Christmas because I have 6 finals

Cons
  • Will be commuting, not much of an issue, commute is maybe 45-60 minutes. Will prob move after 2nd year but that's something to consider
  • A re-applicant, and was not satisfied with how I was treated my first cycle, had a negative experience with admissions. Idk maybe I'm a peach
  • While I'm used to location, wife is not, will have to constantly reassure her I'm not getting stabbed. Not kidding
  • With my friends there I worry about being distracted, thinking of Med school as an extension of Undergrad. Had that issue when I went to community college after high school, 1/4 of my high school went to CC and I didn't take it seriously because having them there made it feel like high school. But not really a fault of the school but worth mentioning.
  • Student clinic is fairly limited, seems it's only open 2-3 evenings a week, looking for a bit more.
  • Not taking things are face value but for the reputation the facilities were old.
  • Got the feeling that Pediatrics was not really something the school pushes students towards, they seemed obsessed with surgery.

New York Medical College
Pros
  • Love the campus, simply gorgeous. I have mild anxiety and something about the campus was therapeutic for me.
  • Did the STAR Program (their summer internship) a few times and enjoyed it, have some connections to faculty and some of my fellow STAR participants.
  • The commute is fairly short, maybe half of that of NJMS, or 2/3. Much easier to access
  • Westchester Medical Center is expanding, could translate to more opportunities down the line.
  • Got a decent scholarship that would make the cost equal to NJMS (2K more than NJMS but that's negligible)
  • Am actually a 5th author on a paper published by a faculty and have the option to continue research
  • Gorgeous Anatomy lab.
  • Have a lot of rotation sites, Westchester in Valhalla, Metro in Harlem, St. Joes in Paterson
  • Paterson is maybe 20 minutes from Nanuet, for 3rd year I'd have the option to do all my rotations there, if I'm lucky
  • Offers research but, not as many options as NJMS. However, the research they do, they obviously care about.
  • Faculty are super loving, during the STAR internship I had issues with anxiety, they really worked with me and were patient.

Cons
  • TappanZee (Or Mario Cuamo Bridge I suppose) can get really ****ty traffic sometimes.
  • I hate the cold and worry about how I'll feel having to go outside building to building in Winter, prefer NJMS for being a single unit
  • Did not like the rotation options for 3/4th year. It seems that you can either do the whole 3rd year at paterson or split it between Westchester in Valhalla, Metro in Harlem, and one other site. It's one thing to move as an option, another of it's not really my decision
  • Wouldn't really know many people, 15 students I know from the star program will be starting but, only 3 from the MD Program, rest are doing masters or doctoral programs so not much support there.
  • Don't feel I'd get much experience with patients in an area where everyone is healthy. Not wishing a plague to hit the area or anything but I really learn by doing
  • Driving home at night was sort of uncomfortable for me, some parts aren't well-lit, have issues with night-time driving, difficulty seeing in dark
  • More of a traditional curriculum, take multiple subjects at once, exams are around the same time, dislike this.
Will update as I can.

Reactions: 1 user

Anyway so about me, did undergrad in Rutgers-Newark, moved to Nanuet NY Junior Year because of the access to both the Garden State Parkway for School, and the Palisades Parkway for work (Englewood NJ) and also my wife lives in Nyack so moving closer to her was important. I give my location because it'll play in later promise

Pros
  • Pass/Fail

Cons

New York Medical College
Pros
  • Gorgeous Anatomy lab.

Cons
Will update as I can.

I'd say it depends on what you value more. It seems like NYMC might be the choice.
BTW, I was curious about you managed to land a scholarship at NYMC. Did they give to you with acceptance email or later? Are you above the school's median stats?(you can pm if you want)
Congrats and goodluck on your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update just in case you hadn't heard - NYMC is now officially pass/fail!

Could you give me a link so I can see for myself? Just want to update my post and need to verify this. if it's pass/fail that's actually a huge pro!!

I'd say it depends on what you value more. It seems like NYMC might be the choice.
BTW, I was curious about you managed to land a scholarship at NYMC. Did they give to you with acceptance email or later? Are you above the school's median stats?(you can pm if you want)
Congrats and goodluck on your decision!

Sent you a PM!

I am also curious as to how you got a scholarship to NYMC. Got accepted there not too long ago and was wondering how I should go about asking them for one or not. Thanks!

I'm going to copy and paste the PM I sent the other person who asked. Check your inbox!

Could you give me a link so I can see for myself? Just want to update my post and need to verify this. if it's pass/fail that's actually a huge pro!!

Unfortunately I don't have a link - it's a very new decision so I don't think it can be found on the website yet. I've attached the email that we were all sent, just in case that helps! I'm pretty sure we will still be internally ranked, but that rank includes grades from 3rd and 4th year.

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 6.35.52 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
Hey- I also was accepted to NYMC a week ago and am wondering how they are already giving out scholarship info?

I've only interviewed at RWJ, not NJMS, but I'd say going to a major research university like Rutgers has so many benefits over NYMC.

Hey- I also was accepted to NYMC a week ago and am wondering how they are already giving out scholarship info?

I've only interviewed at RWJ, not NJMS, but I'd say going to a major research university like Rutgers has so many benefits over NYMC.

I was accepted early in the cycle at both NJMS and NYMC. Now I called NYMC originally to decline my acceptance because it was WAY too much, and had some extenuating personal circumstances that made finance a big deal. Ended up having a conversation with them, they asked what NJMS offered and asked for some paperwork which I provided, and told me to wait a few days. Eventually they got back to me and had me meet someone and they worked with me to make it close, but not exactly what NJMS would cost.

I'd never advise anyone to call a school to ask for money, idk if that is good form, or idk try to milk schools for more money. I honestly called to decline and it just helped that they had a good heart. It's another reason I'm having a hard time axing them. I feel ****ty if a school bends over backwards for me and then I still say no.